Donald Trump

According to the following stories,

Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson, who chairs the Senate's homeland security committee, criticized federal officials and demanded to know why Sanchez was not deported.

"Does that make any sense to you?" Johnson demanded to know at a hearing Tuesday. "Because I'll tell you it doesn't make any sense to the American public."

Republican state Sen. Jeff Stone said he would introduce legislation in Sacramento to require cities to comply with ICE detainer requests.

Senators, federal and state, does it make any sense to deport a man who has returned 5 fucking times?

Answer: No and this is why the Republican party needs to go away for a long nap...one or two generations should do fine.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150708/us--pier_shooting-immigration-e4f7a57301.html

In the second article from my ABA e-mail:

A lawyer for the sheriff’s office told the Chronicle that ICE should have obtained a court order if it wanted San Francisco authorities to hold Lopez-Sanchez. An ICE spokeswoman countered that it’s not possible to obtain such orders in every case. “We deported 177,000 people last year,” spokeswoman Virginia Kice told the newspaper. “The whole system would collapse.”

San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee says San Francisco’s sanctuary policy “is not intended to protect repeat, serious and violent felons.” The intent, he said, is to encourage reporting of crime, as well as access to social services and school for the children.

Lee said he is concerned about the circumstances of the release of Lopez-Sanchez, and all agencies involved need to review what happened.

And this just confirms the bullshit...you are going to review what happened...ah ... ok just as long as you get right to that review and since you are the governments, you need to form an intergovernmental task force to investigate and then a year or so from now, issue your findings.

Thanks assholes.

I am sure the future victims families will personally and publicly thank you at the funerals of their friends, family and neighbors for your expeditious and effective findings which cost a ton of money and stopped not one murder.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/is_san_franciscos_sanctuary_policy_to_blame_for_release_of_immigrant_who_be/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily_email

Jonah Goldberg, fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and a senior editor of National Review wrote:

. . . . Trump's commitment to the GOP has often been situational. Sure, he has put his money where his mouth is, but he's as promiscuous with his mouth as he is with the Trump brand. He's given money to Harry Reid, Chuck Schumer, John Kerry, Andrew Cuomo, Eliot Spitzer, and the Clinton Foundation. Asked to explain why, he said, "You're gonna need things from everybody." (One does wonder what Trump hoped to get from the Clinton Foundation.) . . . . Trump is such a fan of eminent domain. The man seeking the Tea Partys support loves to use the government to seize private land he cant or doesnt want to buy fairly. Given the fetid swamp of sanctioned corruption that passes for commerce in New York, its no wonder he sees nothing wrong with greasing the skids by funding liberal politicians. But one might expect a person who claims to be a conservative to at least pay some rhetorical tribute to virtue while admitting his vice. Alas, it is axiomatic that the shameless are incapable of exhibiting shame . . . . The great irony is that the man who made his fortune playing the game of influence-peddling and celebrity-mongering forgot that the other players get a turn. Trump has lost his TV show. Macy's will no longer carry his menswear. New York mayor Bill de Blasio, who governs like a banana-republic demagogue, has declared that he is reviewing Trump's contracts with the city. Meanwhile, too many of Trump's GOP primary competitors, afraid of angering his fans, stand mute or mumbling. Republicans are fielding the best candidates in a generation, but Trump is poised to make them chumps by association. He has no chance of becoming president, but he has the huge potential to deny his alleged party a White House victory in 2016. And when that happens, he will of course stay a celebrity, but he will have traded his fame for infamy, even among those now cheering him on.

It will be interesting to see how the current Chinese crash, Wall Street shutdown, Puerto Rican debt, and Greek shutdown and vote to stop paying their bills will affect a businessman like Trump. I think he gets competition from the Fascist Chinese billionaires when he bids or develops new properties.

To even consider him along with other brash candidates like Ted Cruz and Rand Paul, I would want to see his full platform. I went to Trump’s website, but as of today, he has no platform.

Who can deny it would be fun seeing him in a debate? Rather than being a pig in a poke he could be the pig doing the poking but I think he will be ganged up on by legitimate candidates if he makes it to a REAL debate. (I emphasize the word real because he might pay for his own and invite everyone, hoping that someone else will give it more respectability than he can.) Sorry to his fans but when I look at him giving a speech I am reminded of Benito Mussolini.

Jonah Goldberg, fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and a senior editor of National Review wrote:

. . . .

Next time you refer to and quote from somewhere, can you please take the extra one-half second to copy and paste the URL, Peter? In this case, you probably had to cut out the URL, since quotes from the National Review are always accompanied by a "Read more" add-on. Eg,

Trump Is a Bad Deal for the GOP

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/420851/trump-gop-president-mexicans

internet-commenter-608x450.jpg

Edited by william.scherk

It will be interesting to see how the current Chinese crash, Wall Street shutdown, Puerto Rican debt, and Greek shutdown and vote to stop paying their bills will affect a businessman like Trump. I think he gets competition from the Fascist Chinese billionaires when he bids or develops new properties.

To even consider him along with other brash candidates like Ted Cruz and Rand Paul, I would want to see his full platform. I went to Trump’s website, but as of today, he has no platform.

Who can deny it would be fun seeing him in a debate? Rather than being a pig in a poke he could be the pig doing the poking but I think he will be ganged up on by legitimate candidates if he makes it to a REAL debate. (I emphasize the word real because he might pay for his own and invite everyone, hoping that someone else will give it more respectability than he can.) Sorry Mato his fans but when I look at him giving a speech I am reminded of Benito Mussolini.

Peter, here is a really good idea - boycott the debates because they are not debates.

It is bullshit calling them debates and assisting the "Orwellian speak."

A...

. . . .

Next time you refer to and quote from somewhere, can you please take the extra one-half second to copy and paste the URL, Peter? In this case, you probably had to cut out the URL, since quotes from the National Review are always accompanied by a "Read more" add-on. Eg,

Trump Is a Bad Deal for the GOP

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/420851/trump-gop-president-mexicans

internet-commenter-608x450.jpg

Peter! Attention!

You have been notified by The Public Scold ... act accordingly.

A...

I plead my OL 5th Amendment right to remain silent and applied to state courts by the 14th Amendment to stay in repose on that wife beating question.

nervous.gif

A...

Jonah Goldberg, fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and a senior editor of National Review...

Peter,

Something tells me they don't like each other:

From the interview:

Tur: Goldberg has compared you to a failed man who mistook flattery for insight. George Will...

Trump: I'm a failed man... I'm worth a fortune.. I've built... you know (unintelligible)... I went to the best school... got the best great marks, everything else... I went out... I made a fortune, a big fortune, a tremendous fortune... I'll be announcing that in about a week because I have to file my papers... bigger than people even understand... I have a book called "The Art of the Deal"... I do "The Apprentice"... "The Art of the Deal" was like the number one business book of all time, of just about, I think it was... And I do "The Apprentice" and NBC's angry at me because they renewed "The Apprentice" and I wouldn't do it, and that's one of the reasons NBC's so angry at me... and then I get called by a guy that... that can't buy a pair of pants... I get called names? Gimme a break!

:smile:

And just because I can't resist:

That's how you start beating down an attempted smear campaign.

Face it front up and say you're wrong. Bring it on.

These clips are from Trump's recent interview with NBC's Katy Tur. See the whole thing here.

Michael

Dayaamm!

I'm halfway through Trump's interview with Katy Tur and he is just wiping the floor with her, especially her baiting, but he's being nice about it. 

Let's see if this embeds:

Drip... drip... drip...

EDIT: Something is embedding, but it's not working right on my computer. The link to the site is in the previous post, though.

Nah, on second thought, here is the link again to Donald Trump and Katy Tur: Watch the Full, Unedited Donald Trump Interview.

SECOND EDIT: I just finished. Absolutely fantastic. At one point, Tur tried to play gotcha on a statistic, started fumbling, then Trump told her (I paraphrase because this is not worth transcribing) to spit it out, spit it out, go on, spit it out. Then came out with: See? You don't even know what you're talking about.

Michael

I forgot to mention, Trump is the only one so far who has mentioned a viable way to beat ISIS.

He said it in the interview above.

He said bomb the crap out of their oil. They can spread and fight because they have money. Cut off their money.

Then deal with the rest of them.

Kinda duh...

:)

But nobody else in Republican politics will say or do that because they and/or their backers are in bed with big oil. From what I have seen in Brazil, I imagine ISIS oil sales are run through a weird combination of legit business, dummy corporations, bogus contracts and so on. But in essence, we are funding our own enemies.

Trump says chop that off, then the problem goes way down.

I can't wait to hear him say something like that--in plain language like that--in a presidential debate.

Michael

Common core ... love this man's "instincts" ... sense of life lol

I feel sorry for Rick Perry.

He thinks this is persuasion.

Great job, Rick.

That effort at a kickass video should send your ratings straight through the roof.

I almost fainted from the intellectual mastery, passion and sheer bonding values with the average working person.

You showed him, you sure did. Take that, The Donald!

Michael

Um...let's see Ricky, and I liked the guy, did the Berlin Wall work?

A...

WIlliam would never, ever, ever do this:

no-no-no-very-bad-man-Babu-Bhatt-seinfel

Right?

Wrongish. (but thanks to Adam and you for the laugh!) Or maybe it should be right. It annoys me when I see sloppy attributions. If you weight out a long line of my Link, Please glissandos, some are cranky, some are beige, some may be quarrelsome in themselves. So add a label if it suits the moment.

It is easy to attribute with linkbacks. It is a courtesy foremost to the writer and only then to the quoat's readers.

I can put Peter Taylor on the Incorrigible shelf with a label of Defective, with a special marking that he does dump huge page crawlers of Old Newsgroup Yammering, so there's that. He never apologizes for anything, so there is that, too. Excused. Not held to the same standard because well he is Objectivist-list living history. So, no more scoldings to Peter for dropped stitches. He will usually name names and he hasn't figured out how to use the bb-code conventions or edit in a text box to preserve internal attribution linking forum ease, so, I must give him a break from now on. I am old enough to know better.

I am sorry for attacking you, Peter.

I will step in henceforth as a new, reformed scold, and when I come across a Links Please, Ladies feebleness, I will quietly add the link and yes perhaps add more excerpts and add some acid commentary. After that I will go have a drink, drown some kittens and then come back and sit on your shoulder. Nevermore. Add a Link.

But nobody else in Republican politics will say or do that because they and/or their backers are in bed with big oil. From what I have seen in Brazil, I imagine ISIS oil sales are run through a weird combination of legit business, dummy corporations, bogus contracts and so on. But in essence, we are funding our own enemies.

It is an interesting point. ISIS in Syria and Iraq have been quite canny in their long-term 'state' planning and DDR-style repression/extortion (as discovered in an intelligence bonanza last year -- the structure and roles and tactics/strategies of control from an exterminated senior cult figure).

On the state of their control of oil-fields, this is more murky -- and your 'weird combination' states the messy contours perfectly, once you add extortion and death cult terror. I don't know how often Trump is briefed on the details, but he does overestimate their present control of oil. See this brief report from April for a snapshot in time. Consider that one of the money routes for oil sales is by smuggling, and that this is increasingly difficult or impossible across the northern borders with Turkey -- difficult for them to sell outside the limits of Iraq and Syria that is. But you are right: in effect, Assad, the death-cult's supposed enemy, finds a way to maintain a pump pressure at its refineries, and supply its powerhouses. ISIS taps its field and people in manifold ways.

I hope that the long war to extirpate the death cult of ISIS doesn't needlessly destroy the region's huge oil infrastructure itself. The dollars from oil that the cult takes in every day are maybe down from last November, but how to take their hands from all the spouts? As Trump nails it, by removing them militarily.

I would add more wampum. Arm the Kurds, get Turkey to mosey on in and exterminate the cult leaders and lieutenants near its sector. Drop a whole lotta precision bombs on ISIS command and control, and get the destructive life-cycle of the Syria/Iraq based war to level off and begin to wind down.

Where Trump is correct, that means a war on ISIS must recover control of its functioning oil economy (and it is big, despite my caveats), means the Coalition's air campaign is not a weekend bombing run.

I think much of what Trump wants is likely compared against that which he doesn't want: in this case, he does not want to destroy the oilfields, plants, distribution networks beyond repair. He wants to starve ISIS by denying them the money from the oil. That is a multiplex task. It might take as long to accomplish as one of Trump's properties from green light to grand opening,

I am sure that he will gain a 'kitchen cabinet' as time goes by in his campaign. At some point he and voters will want more detail. He should know that ISIS effectively has control of only one oil field. He should know the war-maps and have a firm if general understanding of the battles just past and the battles ahead. as a commander would face a task. It is a president's most important responsibility, death.

Do I think the Trump solution to ISIS is canny and thoughtful? Yes, in political terms for his supporters and detractors in the GOP. He has a plan! Boom boom boom.

For the larger issue of defeating ISIS, I am sure that I could have a wonderful conversation with him about the details.

I feel sorry for you guys that your political campaigns go on for such a long time. I guess it is so that things get sorted out in a protracted manner, in full power and glare. When you give so much time to Donald Trump, GOP Winner, he gets lots of on-air time. A built-in advantage to gaining and keeping air time is WYSIWYG. He is the GHE in the Republican atmosphere. The heat is on.

Those who have opinion on the man get to it inside their heads. The tribe coalesces around the one Chief or it does not. The bells peal his glory or they do not. He peaks at some point. I think he will peak short of Bush, sadly said to his fans.

I think there will be great education to be had about America in the televised encounters with the initial August ten/eleven man line-up. Trump will be there, and America will watch. I don't agree with Adam that needs must boycott the GOP debates, even if they are but "debates" unquoat being formats bogus.

Here's samples from last time's GOP chin-and-mouth show. Maybe Adam meant to say 'avoid if possible,' and so then if so even he will be peeking at the first one on the sly anyway.

Gentlemen and any ladies lurking, I give you a much lesser product to that coming in August, highlights from the Bloomberg encounter:

Or, a less intimate encounter and venue. Can Trump top this? Yes indeed. He has TV chops, and is not afraid to show anger and contempt.

Edited by william.scherk

WIlliam would never, ever, ever do this:

no-no-no-very-bad-man-Babu-Bhatt-seinfel

Right?

Wrongish. (but thanks to Adam and you for the laugh!) Or maybe it should be right. It annoys me when I see sloppy attributions. If you weight out a long line of my Link, Please glissandos, some are cranky, some are beige, some may be quarrelsome in themselves. So add a label if it suits the moment.

No offense intended. But I had to laugh. In another thread you brought up finger wagging, I thought "What!! William is the OL scold if there ever was one." I thought I would share the fun.

From Politico today: Donald Trump, clickbait - Reporters insist he has no shot, but news outlets, led by CNN, can’t get enough of him.

One of my favorites so far--from today's The Daily Beast: Donald Trump (and His Nonstop Cable Coverage) Makes Me Want to Die - Anderson Cooper devoted a full hour to the 2016 hopeful’s sit-down Wednesday—complete with pundit analysis. Don’t cable execs realize their wall-to-wall coverage is making him relevant?

This last is a full article about Trump in a main press vehicle. Like author of the article Olivia Nuzzi says, gotta be careful with that wall-to-wall coverage that makes Trump relevant. She, for example, in the subheadline of her article about him, insinuates she would never write about him.

Drip... drip... drip...

Michael

From Politico today: Donald Trump, clickbait - Reporters insist he has no shot, but news outlets, led by CNN, cant get enough of him.

One of my favorites so far--from today's The Daily Beast: Donald Trump (and His Nonstop Cable Coverage) Makes Me Want to Die - Anderson Cooper devoted a full hour to the 2016 hopefuls sit-down Wednesdaycomplete with pundit analysis. Dont cable execs realize their wall-to-wall coverage is making him relevant?

This last is a full article about Trump in a main press vehicle. Like author of the article Olivia Nuzzi says, gotta be careful with that wall-to-wall coverage that makes Trump relevant. She, for example, in the subheadline of her article about him, insinuates she would never write about him.

Drip... drip... drip...

Michael

Hilarious.

Don't these people writing these articles understand that even that kind of article gives him media coverage?

I must say I'm surprised by the stir Trump is causing. Didn't he "run for President" once in the recent past? Why is it different now? (Or is it?)

I must say I'm surprised by the stir Trump is causing. Didn't he "run for President" once in the recent past? Why is it different now? (Or is it?)

He talked about it and never pulled the trigger...and until he files his financial disclosure statement in the next week or so, he could still not go forward.

A...

Jjeorge,

I think I know why it's different now.

Trump is a publicity hound, that's true. So before, in the last two elections, I believe he allowed his ego to rise when all the Republican candidates went to kiss his ring. I think that made him toy with the idea of running. After all, he had to meet a lot of political operatives back then and I am sure some of them started planting the idea in his head. And, hey, saying he wanted to run was free publicity.

But now, I believe it is different. Once an idea like running for president gets a hold in the mind of a man like that, it grows roots, a stem and starts to flower.

The thing is Trump has basically achieved what he wanted to in life as a businessman. All he can do is keep doing more of the same. Ditto for entertainment. He turned the two most important Miss pageants (Miss America and Miss Universe) around in terms of viewership and he ran a top show (The Apprentice) for years. Ditto for book author (The Art of the Deal, along with a crapload of other books).

He was the business political kingmaker when America breathlessly awaited who he would endorse as the tabloids endlessly gossipped about which candidate went to see him.

So, from this frame, Trump is at a point in life to ask himself what it all means. What else is out there for him to achieve? Is there any mission greater than what he has accomplished?

And he latched onto the idea of making America great again.

That is his battle-cry. I'm surprised to see no one really talk about this because he says it over and over all the time. Every speech. Every interview. Hell, I think he even says it during meals. :)

This mission hits him right where he lives inside himself and it hits "the silent majority" here in the USA right where they live. The poll results are showing this. As time goes on, as this mission grows in him, I believe it is making him entertain the idea of becoming one of the greats in statesmanship. To a person like him, at this stage in his life, the idea of going down in history alongside George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and so on is almost too appealing to resist.

And, frankly, the spiritual smallness and lack of achievements of most current politicians (other than political crap) is making him stand out big-time--it's making his job a lot easier.

Michael

Now, Bernie "Grandpa Al Socialist" Sanders will certainly run on the Socialist Workers Party line, or, another third party line and have a serious impact on the Presidential election..

Imagine an Evita vs. the Corporatist Republican and Bernie on the ballot...

Or, Trump on a third party line, opposing Evita, the Corporatist Republican and Bernie on the ballot ...

A person like me's dream election.

A...

I think it is hilarious watching these inept "journalists," who have not had a serious thought that did not die of loneliness, and, only visit reality as a tourist, interviewing Trump..

I have to find the two recent clips and post them.

A...