Donald Trump

On February 28, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Ellen,

Today, President Trump signed an Executive Order limiting the EPA's water regulations to navigable waterways. And in his signing speech, he made it clear he understood the role of the Federal Government to be appropriate only when such navigable waterways are interstate.

This is called one more instance of " deconstruction of the administrative state." :evil: (The devil icon is obviously not aimed at you, but merely put there for your enjoyment re the tenor of this discussion by other posters. :) )

The progressive press is already howling, saying Trump is attacking clean water.

:)

Michael

Thanks, Michael.

Thanks, too, for providing the full context of my "demolition"/"wrecking ball" quip.

Ellen

5 hours ago, anthony said:
9 hours ago, KorbenDallas said:

Grading Trump on his own merits probably an 'A', but comparing to say, Reagan or Obama, a 'C'.  Trump isn't in the same league as these two.

It is precisely his rawness which appeals - in the era of the smooth-talking, camera-ready politician.

That's how I respond too, only I'd say "naturalness."  I've always disliked the "smooth-talking, camera-ready politician" style.  Both Reagan and Obama especially impressed me as if they were always in their own minds playing a role on a stage.  Reagan I think was sincere in his beliefs.  Nonetheless, he gave me a feeling of watching an actor in a play.

Ellen

7 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

That's how I respond too, only I'd say "naturalness."  I've always disliked the "smooth-talking, camera-ready politician" style.  Both Reagan and Obama especially impressed me as if they were always in their own minds playing a role on a stage.  Reagan I think was sincere in his beliefs.  Nonetheless, he gave me a feeling of watching an actor in a play.

Ellen

Ronald Reagan did play The President, and rather well. Almost everyone found his performance convincing....

His best political role was Governor of California.  

Donald Trump brings to the role the freshness and energy of an amateur. 

On 2/28/2017 at 5:19 PM, william.scherk said:

The executive order has not yet appeared on the White House's website**, but his remarks are already available in text form: Remarks by President Trump at Signing of Waters of the United States (WOTUS) Executive Order

I'll post the WOTUS order when it appears.

For background on the controversial Obama-era rule, the text is at EPA site, and an overview here, from Vox.  A few orienting paragraphs from the Vox article:

** Presidential Executive Order on Restoring the Rule of Law, Federalism, and Economic Growth by Reviewing the "Waters of the United States" Rule

The EPA is a scourge. The FERC is out of control too.

I emailed the WH yesterday in regard to FERC's role in allowing corrupted licensees to enforce regulations on hydroelectric waterways.The impact on surrounding communities cant be exaggerated as FERC rules are discouraging private investment, lowering property values, killing jobs, limiting access to project waters, inhibiting landowners ability to sell, violating Federal, State and local ordinances, and trampling on private property rights. FERC regulates 614 major hydroelectric projects. Its illegal for the government to delegate regulatory authority to a for profit corporation per the Constitution and the US SC, yet this is exactly what the FERC is doing.

In 2011, the O administration said “… FERC is an independent regulatory agency, meaning that while FERC is part of the executive branch of the federal government, it is independent of presidential control, with substantial discretion in carrying out the Federal Power Act's mandate that private hydropower projects it approves be best adapted to the comprehensive development of waterways.”

Im hoping the Donald has different views and priorities.

22 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Mark Cuban has been so envious of President Trump for so long, his posture is nothing new. At one time during the campaign, he even offered both Trump and Clinton to run as their Vice President. A couple of weeks ago, his comments prompted the president to tweet that Cuban is not smart enough to run for president. :) There's just too much material to choose from.

This should go in the Trump Humor thread, but it fits so well here, I can't resist.

Michael

7 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

[Ronald Reagan's] best political role was Governor of California.  

I thought that Reagan's "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall" was his best performance.

And I've thought several times of the contrast between Reagan's and Trump's circumstances regarding a wall.

Reagan supporters, and probably the whole "free" world, wanted to see the Berlin Wall, which was erected to keep people in, torn down.

Trump supporters, probably most of them and probably some other persons too, want to see a wall erected along the U.S.-Mexico border to keep unwelcome persons out.

Ellen

PAU. “Politics As Usual” but this does sound a bit serious. I know Sessions also says he spoke to a bunch of people from different countries but now he seems to be parsing his words. Well, Andy, I mightsa’ talked to a Ruskie but it was not about dat election. Just ask Rochester about the Kingfish. He’ll tells ya it was nuttin.

Peter  

Pelosi, Cummings Call On AG Sessions To Resign Over Undisclosed Contact With Russian Ambassador by Matt Vespa Posted: Mar 02, 2017 12:01 AM: Top Democrats, Reps. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and Elijah Cummings (D-MD), called on Attorney General Jeff Sessions to resign over undisclosed contacts with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak. Sessions had two rendezvous with the Russian diplomat, one of which occurred in September of last year when the interference campaign conducted by the Kremlin was reportedly in full swing, according to The Washington Post. The other time was in July. During his confirmation hearing in January, Sessions admitted that he's been called a surrogate for the campaign a few times, but did not have communications with the Russians. It was in response to Sen. Al Franken's (D-MN) question about what he would do as AG if evidence of Trump campaign surrogates having contact with the Russian was discovered. Sessions was also asked by Sen. Pat Leahy (D-VT) in a letter if he had any contact with the Russians about the 2016 presidential race either before or after Election Day. Sessions answered no.

The Post noted that Sessions was a member of the Armed Services Committee, so speaking with ambassadors isn’t necessarily unorthodox, but hiding the meeting might be viewed as a bit “weird,” using the words of former U.S. Ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul. Sen. Al Franken (D-MN)  told the Post that Sessions should recuse himself over what could be misleading statements, though stopped short of calling for his resignation:

. . . . Then-Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) spoke twice last year with Russia’s ambassador to the United States, Justice Department officials said, encounters he did not disclose when asked about possible contacts between members of President Trump’s campaign and representatives of Moscow during Sessions’ confirmation hearing to become attorney general.

One of the meetings was a private conversation between Sessions and Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak that took place in September in the senator’s office, at the height of what U.S. intelligence officials say was a Russian cyber campaign to upend the U.S. presidential race.

The previously undisclosed discussions could fuel new congressional calls for the appointment of a special counsel to investigate Russia’s alleged role in the 2016 presidential election. As attorney general, Sessions oversees the Justice Department and the FBI, which have been leading investigations into Russian meddling and any links to Trump’s associates. He has so far resisted calls to recuse himself . . . .

Claire McCaskill said Sessions lied. Lindsey Graham said Sessions lied. They both said they had never met with any Russian ambassadors, ever, and thanks to Fox Business research we find out both of them lied. McCaskill texted a few years ago, “Well, I’m off to see the Russian ambassador . . .,” and then they found a news story in which Lindsey Graham Cracker met with the Ruskies. Liars!

Graham had the audacity to say, “Never. When hell freezes over! I would never meet with the Russian ambassador.” What a lying . . . or forgetful . . . piece of shit.

I watched Sessions talking around 4pm and I think he should stick around.

Peter   

23 minutes ago, Peter said:

Claire McCaskill said Sessions lied. Lindsey Graham said Sessions lied. They both said they had never met with any Russian ambassadors, ever, and thanks to Fox Business research we find out both of them lied. McCaskill texted a few years ago, “Well, I’m off to see the Russian ambassador . . .,” and then they found a news story in which Lindsey Graham Cracker met with the Ruskies. Liars!

Graham had the audacity to say, “Never. When hell freezes over! I would never meet with the Russian ambassador.” What a lying . . . or forgetful . . . piece of shit.

I watched Sessions talking around 4pm and I think he should stick around.

Peter   

Is there any evidence that will stand up in court if there is a Logan Act prosecution?   

Ba’al asked, “Is there any evidence that will stand up in court if there is a Logan Act prosecution?”

From Wikipedia: The Logan Act (1 Stat. 613, 18 U.S.C. § 953, enacted January 30, 1799) is a United States federal law that forbids unauthorized citizens from negotiating with foreign governments having a dispute with the U.S. It was intended to prevent the undermining of the government's position. end quote  
Evidence? No. If I remember correctly Sessions said there were two encounters with the Russian ambassador but neither conversation discussed the campaign and nothing was said about hacking Hillary’s stooge’s email, (Podesta,) and then printing truthfully what he said. Nothing was mentioned about helping Trump win the election.

I think one encounter was a phone call and the other was a face to face meeting with the Russian ambassador, Senator Sessions and with two of Session’s aids attending. Both of the aids were former military officers, very patriotic and suspicious of the Russians according to Sessions. As a bit of background Sessions had also just met with Ukraine, Lithuania, Japan, and a half dozen other country’s representatives. They were all trying to get a feel for the situation and any intel they could pick up on, as was Sessions on them. That’s normal.

He interpreted the Silly Saturday Night Live Senator’s question as being about there being “collusion” with the Russians to take down Old Hickory Clinton, and Sessions said that was never raised, and no he did not plot about the campaign with any Russians. But he failed to elaborate on the fact that there were two encounters with the Russian ambassador. At the time he was still a top ranking, top secret holding, Republican Senator.

There is no proof the Russian or Wikileak’s hacks did anything to sway the election but may have just reinforced the opinion of people who were leaning towards Trump anyway. I am against hacking but the emails were never disputed by Podesta. He did write them and he is a mean, sarcastic shit.

I also think McCain and Graham should be excommunicated from the Church of the Holy Republican Grail. I am sick of those two saboteurs.

Peter      

Michael wrote: Peter, This attack on Sessions is all hat and no cowboy. It'll be over soon. The anti-Trumpers, poor things... this is all they've got. But it ain't got legs so it ain't going anywhere... end quote

Objectively, I agree with you about their lame arguments. It is obviously just cynical politics.  But since they control the press they can make it seem like “World War Z.” Now they are attacking Pence for using a private email server as governor. Next it will be . . . and after that it will be . . . this is NOT the only AMMO they have, Michael.

Some in the conservative movement do not want to call the remnants of past regimes a “shadow government” but that is what they are. The leakers and destroyers are sponsored by Hillary, George Soros, Barack Obama, and “The Press,” among others. They are the leakers and the leaders of this criminal conspiracy. They are the impediments to freedom. Obama left land minds in the Oval Office. They are uniting with the vast left wing conspiracy to continually control the narrative and to take Trump *down*. In their hearts they are still communists. And they also think they are the elites amongst all humanity. They are SURE they are our rightful rulers. It is nearing the Vietnam war protests scenario again, and it is time to fight back.

I call upon Objectivists to wake up. How can you not see beyond your ideological niche? It is time for President Trump to fight back, using the office of the Presidency . . . and all of its branches . . . and to use the Constitution, and not assumed powers . . .  to destroy these monsters.

Peter  

8 hours ago, Peter said:

It is time for President Trump to fight back, using the office of the Presidency . . . and all of its branches . . . and to use the Constitution, and not assumed powers . . .  to destroy these monsters.

Peter,

Is this a good start?

03.04.2017-08.01.png

Drudge links to an article in The Sun:

'A NEW LOW!' Donald Trump claims Barack Obama ‘had his wires tapped in Trump Tower before US election win’

Michael

Michael wrote and quoted: Is this a good start? 'A NEW LOW!' Donald Trump claims Barack Obama ‘had his wires tapped in Trump Tower before US election win’ end quote

Damn! So what is a patriot with enormous powers to do?  If I were President I would tell the FBI to find out why the wiretapping was done, and if it was legal or illegal, and then let the FBI see that justice is done. We keep hearing unofficial stories like from “The Sun” piece about what Obama did during his last days as Monarch Butterfly and at the least I would like the press to delve into the matter. President Trump should hold a press conference but only after a certain point in the investigation to keep a “further” cover up from occurring. And then prosecute the guilty.

Let the democrats chew on that piece of hardtack. They could be chewing until 2020.     

Peter

12 hours ago, Peter said:

The leakers and destroyers are sponsored by Hillary, George Soros, Barack Obama, and “The Press,” among others. They are the leakers and the leaders of this criminal conspiracy.

Mind if I take this over to the other thread devoted to Conspiracy Theories?  

Meanwhile, Soup of the Day is hoopla with outrage, guffaws and confusion. I think the most remarkable story-links are Red State's "The Media Reported On the Trump Tower Wiretaps, Why Don't We Believe Them Now?" and Politico's "Russia investigations a ‘witch hunt’? Not according to polls" ... but you can gain a view into various silos, trenches, and orbits of opinion.

From the jaws of Memeorandum.com:

i10.jpg Philip Rucker / Washington Post:
Trump, citing no evidence, accuses Obama of ‘Nixon/Watergate’ plot to wiretap Trump Tower  —  President Trump on Saturday angrily accused former president Barack Obama of orchestrating a “Nixon/Watergate” plot to tap the phones at his Trump Tower headquarters last fall in the run-up to the election.
Discussion:
RELATED:
i14.jpg Tim Hains / RealClearPolitics:
Mark Levin: Was Obama Using NSA Against Trump During 2016 Campaign?  —  Radio host Mark Levin spent most of his Thursday evening show discussing the alleged scandal surrounding Attorney General Jeff Sessions and what he says is the real scandal: A “silent coup” by the former Obama administration against President Trump.
 John Hinderaker / Power Line:
Trump Goes Nuclear With Claim Obama Wiretapped Him During Election [Updated]  —  Early this morning, President Trump unleashed a barrage of tweets accusing then-President Barack Obama of wiretapping his office in Trump Tower during the presidential election:
i9.jpg David Shepardson / Reuters:
Trump says Obama wiretapped him during campaign; gives no evidence  —  U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday accused former President Barack Obama of wiretapping him in October during the late stages of the presidential election campaign, but offered no evidence to support the allegation.
Discussion:
i18.jpg Brooke Seipel / The Hill:
Top Obama adviser to Trump: ‘No president can order a wiretap’  —  A former policy adviser to President Obama is firing back at President Trump's claim that Obama wiretapped Trump Tower, saying it didn't happen — at least not under Obama's orders.  —  “No President can order a wiretap.
i12.jpg Andrew C. McCarthy / National Review:
A Special Prosecutor . . . For What?  —  There is no crime to probe in the matter of the Trump campaign's contact with Russians.  —  S  —  o, Attorney General Jeff Sessions has recused himself.  Great!  —  Just one question: From what?  —  Yes, yes, Sessions is a good and decent man.
RELATED:
i1.jpg New York Times:
Trump Team's Links to Russia Crisscross in Washington  —  WASHINGTON — During the 2016 campaign, Donald J. Trump's second campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, had regular communications with his longtime associate — a former Russian military translator in Kiev who has been investigated in Ukraine …
RELATED:

Michael wrote: He has them dancing in unison (OK, a two-step) like trained seals. end quote

I just saw a headline from The Times of Israel and it said Trump may be walking back that statement about wire - tapping Trump Towers, but I agree that the Prez is giving the dogs something to chew on. Oh my, they do prance like seals.

And his satiric demands to investigate Pelosi’s and Schumer’s connections to Russia, including pictures as evidence, is really funny. Will the lame stream media pick up on these stories and the democratic dishonesty? I doubt it but he can still keep tweeting away directly to the American people.

I apologize for being a bit slow on the news button since I don’t tweet or do anything other than email. And I only have a landline phone in the 21st Century. Tracinski just mentioned that the movies, “Blade Runner”, and “Back to the Future” are set 2 years ago and 20 years into our future. And of course ”1984” the novel never came to pass. And there are *24th century, new gadgets* on Star Trek that have already been invented.

And thanks to William. Strategy for Trump? Since I have noticed I am about 2 days behind Trump’s shenanigans I probably should stop talking about what he should do. He is ahead of me and it looks like I am plagiarizing our Fearless Leader with my advice.

Peter

37 minutes ago, Peter said:

And thanks to William.

Give your thanks directly to the Maestro. I am just trying to cover my rent here. I do seem to take up a lot of the Front Porch at times, so I strive to be informative as well as puckish, since I am not in the mainstream of opinion here.

Five bucks!

Direct to PayPal

Edited by william.scherk
Linked to OL PayPal

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

President Trump's power over the press.

Has its limits. If he wanted to dominate the Hoopla today, that is one thing. Stopping public interest in the various Russia Russia Russia affairs is another. Stoking perceptions of an uncontrollable Id is yet another. Depending on your silo and your authorities. 

Of course the press (and all that implies) pays attention to every utterance of the President.  My Memeorandum.com copy and paste shows the extent of the story that is not Trump's to command. It shows that there is still a struggle to contain and manage public perception, in the silos, middens, trenches, and ditches of opinion. 

The exuberance of the US media is a sight to behold.  A messy, messy thing. A Presidential "power over the press" makes me a bit queasy at some entailments.

One Man. One Land. One Truth. One Opinion. 

I'm going to put this in the Trump thread because it explains a lot of Trump's appeal.

Is the American Elite Really Elite?
By Victor Davis Hanson
March 02, 2017
Real Clear Politics

I don't think the Elite Mediocrities even know what Hanson is talking about below.

But it's the root cause President Trump--from the perspective of his voters--was elected.

The public no longer believes that privilege and influence should be predicated on titles, brands and buzz, rather than on demonstrable knowledge and proven character. The idea that brilliance can be manifested in trade skills or retail sales, or courage expressed by dealing with the hardship of factory work, or character found on an Indiana farm, is foreign to the Washington Beltway, Hollywood and Silicon Valley.

Instead, 21st-century repute is accrued from the false gods of the right zip code, high income, proper social circles and media exposure rather from a demonstrable record of moral or intellectual excellence.

btw - Hanson gives quite a funny list of elitist idiocy. 

Michael

The lame stream news was showing some unflattering shots of President Trump tonight. He looked plumper and more like a beer drinker, going down hill fast.

I have been watching “Victoria” on PBS and it gives us a lot of insights into the types of people who seek political power over others. She ascended to the throne when she was 18 and immediately people in her household, people in the government, and “people she trusted” tried to become her advisor. Their motivation was to become the power behind the throne of an impressionable, 18 year old girl. What they did not know is that she had known she would be queen at an early age after she studied a genealogical chart around age ten or so. From that day forward her character and determination grew to enormous proportions. She may have not been ready to rule but she had what was needed.

Luckily she became a friend to Lord Melbourne who was a decent, honest, and caring person. She had a crush on him but he did not exploit it or overly encourage that crush. He advised her wisely until Prince Albert came around.

Neophyte to politics as he is, Donald Trump has been President for a month, but he is not on his own. He needs to find his trusted advisor like Lord Melbourne. Queen Elizabeth surpassed the number of years in Victoria’s reign in 2015 but Victoria was Queen Mum when the crown still had enormous power.

Someday, I want to see President Trump make a crisis decision, but not yet.

Peter