Atlas Shrugged Part III Trailer

Mistakes of this size are never made innocently.

Intriguing statement, what did you mean by it, Wolf?

A...

"At first, I kept wondering how it could be possible that the educated, the cultured, the famous men of the world [David Kelley, Matt Kibbe] could make a mistake of this size and preach, as righteousness, this sort of abomination -- when five minutes of thought should have told them what would happen if somebody tried [to shoot Atlas with a B-list TV cast]. Now I know that they didn't do it by any kind of mistake. Mistakes of this size are never made innocently. If men fall for some vicious piece of insanity, when they have no way to make it work and no possible reason to explain their choice -- it's because they have a reason that they do not wish to tell."

Donations to TAS? Look, I doubt Kelley knows ten percent about movie-making and the movie making business as you do.

--Brant

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question has been asked twice: If there was $30 million to promote the ideas in AS, what would you do?

1. a graphic novel (comic book) for teens

2. a Spanish-language TV soap opera

3. documentary on Former Soviet Union emigres

4. documentary on US bureaucracy

5. radio ad campaign: 'Stop supporting your destroyers'

...and give you $15 million back unspent

I think of ARI's book giveaways as free samples, a familiar, self-interested and often effective form of marketing. You don't get buyers until people decide that the product is worth money to them.

" -- it's because they have a reason that they do not wish to tell."

Donations to TAS?

Worse: the pretense that TAS matters, has important work to do.

Agreed.

I have had a personal rule that I will not consciously donate to a tax deductible "cause."

When my associate and I were deciding the structure for F.A.M.I.L.Y., Advocates [Fathers And Mothers In League for Youth], we specifically chose not to go that route because we were an adversarial organization. Sooner or later the State was going to pressure your records.

A...

" -- it's because they have a reason that they do not wish to tell."

Donations to TAS?

Worse: the pretense that TAS matters, has important work to do.

Agreed.

I have had a personal rule that I will not consciously donate to a tax deductible "cause."

When my associate and I were deciding the structure for F.A.M.I.L.Y., Advocates [Fathers And Mothers In League for Youth], we specifically chose not to go that route because we were an adversarial organization. Sooner or later the State was going to pressure your records.

A...

I had a similar experience to yours. Our Tea Party Patriots group voted to go grovelling to the government to petition for tax exempt status. I was against it because I wanted the group to enjoy the freedom of operating as a for-profit Capitalist business. So it's no wonder that the government screwed them over by delaying their preferred status. Then they blubbered that the group was a victim of government discrimination, when becoming a victim was by their own sanction.

Effing idiots.

The three core principles of TPP are:

Constitutionally limited government

Fiscal responsibility

Free Capitalist markets

Begging the government for a special tax status violates ALL three of their own principles.

First, it makes the government bureaucracy larger because more public union employees are needed to regulate the groups to which it grants preferred tax status. Second it abdicates fiscal responsibility to the government because TPP didn't have the fiscal responsibility to function as a Capitalist entity and needed to suck off government tax credit subsidies. Third, a government controlled tax exempt group is the antithesis of free market Capitalism.

For these reasons I resigned as President, and left the group.

Greg

It's not over for me personally, Wolf. I still enjoy all of the risks and rewards of American Capitalism regardless of what anyone else does.

Capitalism never fails you.

You can only fail it.

Greg

The question has been asked twice: If there was $30 million to promote the ideas in AS, what would you do?

1. a graphic novel (comic book) for teens

2. a Spanish-language TV soap opera

3. documentary on Former Soviet Union emigres

4. documentary on US bureaucracy

5. radio ad campaign: 'Stop supporting your destroyers'

...and give you $15 million back unspent

Was "promoting the ideas in AS" the purpose of producing the films?

Btw, Pup, why are you flapping your yap on this subject when you admit that you haven't even seen any of the films?

J

Can't listen to Bill Gates. Voice to whiny. Gives away his money--in principle, along with his Omaha buddy. If he really wanted to stop malaria he'd advocate for DDT. Too un-PC. It's all envy appeasement. It doesn't help that Stanford sucks, but it's got prestige. It sucks and it sucks in money. Government money and his money. What a whore of a school. Of course, that's most "higher" education these days.

Microsoft has a dying business model and in ten years will be a shadow of its former self unless it somehow uses its money to become a successful hedge fund.

--Brant

Aside from age, he was the ideal physical type. And what was the alternative? Bogart? Ray Milland? Glenn Ford? Alan Ladd? Dana Andrews?

Most of them were way too short for the role of a tall stud...

Hell, they had to have Ava Gardner walk in a trench next to Alan Ladd in, I believe, On the Beach because he was such a shrimp...

A...

Alan Ladd was not in On the Beach.

--Brant

I had a similar experience to yours. Our Tea Party Patriots group voted to go grovelling to the government to petition for tax exempt status. I was against it because I wanted the group to enjoy the freedom of operating as a for-profit Capitalist business. So it's no wonder that the government screwed them over by delaying their preferred status. Then they blubbered that the group was a victim of government discrimination, when becoming a victim was by their own sanction.

Effing idiots.

The three core principles of TPP are:

Constitutionally limited government

Fiscal responsibility

Free Capitalist markets

Begging the government for a special tax status violates ALL three of their own principles.

First, it makes the government bureaucracy larger because more public union employees are needed to regulate the groups to which it grants preferred tax status. Second it abdicates fiscal responsibility to the government because TPP didn't have the fiscal responsibility to function as a Capitalist entity and needed to suck off government tax credit subsidies. Third, a government controlled tax exempt group is the antithesis of free market Capitalism.

For these reasons I resigned as President, and left the group.

Greg

Decent choice...I

That is why I am disgusted with all the Rand spinoff groups...

A...

Giving away Atlas Shrugged is intellectual welfare. Especially en masse. It's contempt out of the gate. Both ways.

ARI is in the intellectual welfare business.

--Brant

I don't buy that Brant.

I consider it an effective marketing of ideas.

-J

Marketing? Where are the b u y e r s?

--Brant

buy get the ideas and the book for free?

why not give away OPAR?

Certainly more potential buyers than the movies might have gotten.

How would you market the ideas in AS if you had $30 mil to spend?

-J

The question is why hasn't AS had a greater cultural-political-intellectual impact? Your assumption is deficient marketing. My assumption is deficient philosophy. The philosophy is deficient for it's the philosophy of Ayn Rand. The universality of that is 5 to 10%, the rest is a bunch of opinions, attitudes, esthetics and exclusiveness which leave no room for critical thinking and room to roam and individualism, burying if not contradicting the real and essential value. The pounding power of her philosophy is from the inside of the world Rand made for herself in AS, but the world itself is not that alternate reality. As a great work of art AS can, in theory, be made into another great work of art in a movie, but AR the philosopher never understood that there is no such thing as a great* philosophy only a right philosophy so she larded it all up with her implicit utopianism. Scientists (real ones)--understand this for they use the right philosophy in scientific endeavor.

--Brant

*there is a great political philosophy--this country was founded on it--but that's only one out of four basic philosophical principles--and that is where the libertarians hang out

You're opinion is understood.

By marketing I mean all that is associated with the promotion of goods (books, etc.) and services.

This will include advertising (both direct & indirect), publicity & special events.

Even terrible philosophies have been accepted (bought into) by a significant amount of people...the result of, in part, effective marketing.

Even useless products have had monumental success by finding recipients...the result of, in part, effective marketing (The Pet Rock, etc.).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_pet_rock

I stand by my contention that there are more potential "buyers" for AS the book, as opposed to the 3 movies of AS. With $30 mil to spend I would prefer to try & get the book into the hands of the much larger pool of college students. Perhaps I'm optimistic about their acceptance.

-Joe

Wolf had some good ideas--the kind that should increase book sales.

"Americans are impervious to new ideas, no matter how splendidly illuminated, because there are no new ideas which Liberal Democracy

is disposed to entertain. The End of History argues that anything submitted after the Battle of Jena in 1806 is basically irrelevant. I wish

somebody had told me this in 1975. I could have saved a pile of money on postage."

[LFC Times]

• 4 months later...

YEAH!!!!

Atlas Shrugged III made number two (2) on a 2014 movie list...

2. “Atlas Shrugged: Who Is John Galt?”: There is hope for bipartisanship — objectivists and progressives alike could agree that this shoddy, amateurish closer to the Ayn Rand trilogy was an utter embarrassment.

1. “The Identical”: The faith-based community gave us plenty of bizarre cinematic objects this year (“Left Behind,” “Kirk Cameron’s Saving Christmas”) but nothing as whacked-out as this sort-of Elvis movie that’s really a stealth advertisement for converting Jews to Christianity with the power of rock and roll. Or something. The only stinker of 2014 that deserves to live on as a midnight staple.

https://za.celebrity.yahoo.com/news/thewrap-film-critics-pick-10-worst-movies-2014-012937207.html

Looks like the official release date for purchasing #3 is Jan. 6, according to the retailers dvdplanet.com & walmart.com

Nothing I've seen so far on the release date for the rental. Redbox, as of the moment, does not show a upcoming date.

I'll wait for the rental & see it then...but my hopes that it is a powerful, well acted movie are not high, to say the least.

-J

Not having seen II or III, I can only say that the first was really well done considering their budget.

Apparently, the next two were disasters.

I kept my oath by attending the first public performance of Atlas on her island of Manhattan.

A...

"Atlas Shrugged" suffers from what I call "The Dune Syndrome". Fabulous books... so great that no movie could ever compete with your own imagination when you read them.

I'll buy III when it comes out, like I bought I and II just because they exist. I appreciate I and II for what they are, and have watched them many times just to savor the story regardless of their flaws. Oddly enough, the more I watch them the more I appreciate them... and I know I'll enjoy III in the same way. Since many things in life fall short of expectations, I learn how to appreciate the reality of what's actually here. :smile:

Greg

Not having seen II or III, I can only say that the first was really well done considering their budget.

Apparently, the next two were disasters.

I kept my oath by attending the first public performance of Atlas on her island of Manhattan.

A...

The first was enough for me. It did more of a hatchet job on the book than did Peter Jackson do on the the book form of Lord of the Rings.

If Greg keeps posting like this I'll have to deal with jealous feelings.

--Brant

that's my problem--jealousy, not envy

every time I get my envy engine going, it sputters and dies--AAA is no help: the purest envy I every felt was when my brother got a real nice toy truck for his birthday--I wasn't even 10--and now it's little more than a faint memory--envy on a shimmering hill: I can only honor it in its uselessness (my evil doing's no good either--I'm nothing but a failure living in a past that never was with jealousy as my last hope for any redemption)

get thee from me Satan; I'm not worthy

I don't really understand why people hate these movies so much. I find them fun. Yeah, they aren't perfect, but I can enjoy them for what they are.

Religious feelings?

I'd have to see them before I hate them to understand why I hate them if I then do. What I do have is only a weak desire to see them. I have my own ideas of what the characters look and act like and how the story--and the stories within the story--runs through my head. I'm not too interested in any displacement. Contra, I read the novel through twice in the 1960s. The first time I skipped Galt's speech and went back and read it right after finishing the novel. The second time I read the speech when I came on it. Today I only read excerpts. I'm planning on re-reading Galt taking down notes as to what he actually said apart from his using philosophy as a moralizing weapon giving the old world heck and hell. After that I'll compare notes with what is in The Vision of Ayn Rand. The idea is to compare Objectivism as an cultural construct with it as an intellectual one and objectify the ratio as much as possible. Right now I have a too vague idea it's something like 9:1. (I just realized, typing this, that there's more than one way to calculate the sundry weights, so I should be able to justify different ratios.)

Atlas Shrugged is a testimony to the power of evil if you're inside the novel looking about and around. It both directly contradicts and affirms Rand's central moral and political philosophical premise--that is, the impotence of evil (and the need not to sanction it). I mean the bad guys are in charge of and running the whole damn country--the world--so they're doing a lousy job but so what?--only from the victims' perspective. The problem is simply not getting inside Rand's impotence concept and reducing it to its various constituent components. That would have collapsed the novel, however. It would also have collapsed her ideal man idea which, btw, spilled over onto the over-whelming and impossible competence of her heroes, most notably Francisco. Consider that perfection in any human being is only a static slice in time observation, but her fictional characters are dynamic. They have to be, but little perfection on the ways to an end result is possible to a human being's human being. Perfection is reality congruence. but one major way to that is bumping into things. Ouch! With a few ouches a lifetime of ouches can be avoided even though additional ouches to the avoided ouches are inevitable. I had to go to the hospital last Monday morning to fix a cut above my eye from tripping over a bike frame in the dark. Got a Cat scan too. This tells me not to live in the sticks 200 miles from a hospital all by myself, not just to avoid tripping over something. While it has a lot to do with my age, there's more than that. It encompasses the essential wealth created by the specialization of the division of labor and more, for it's the nature and value of social existence.

I could go on and on with this, but suffice it to say this work of fiction is take it in as a work of art--it's great--but then it's chewing the thinking cud. If that weren't required it could never have been written. Atlas Shrugged is the first leg of a relay race and Rand passed the baton. Where it's run to is what it's really all about.

You won't find it at the movies.

--Brant