Picture

ginny

• 4 weeks later...

In a post? With the cursor in the post where you want the picture, copy and paste.

Edit: Kelly is correct in post #5. I copied and pasted a picture from my hard drive to the posting space, but it was rejected upon clicking the Add Reply button.

WetCat1.jpgClick the little green box, then enter the URL address of the picture.

Dragging and dropping a picture doesn't seem to work. I got a "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." when trying it with a jpeg.

Ginny,

I'm glad this thread was brought up again. I had marked it to answer, but somehow it slid off the pile.

The problem with putting an image on a forum is a technical one. So I am going to try to give you a technical answer as simply as I can.

1. All images on the Internet are files. Just like you have a "doc" file for a word document, an image file has it's own designation. There are several, actually. Jpg, Png, and Gif are the ones used most often on the Internet. It's not important to understand the differences between all these types right now. Just know they are images.

2. The problem with posting on a forum like OL is that the server the forum software is on will hold the text you type, but it will not hold an image (or a video) you may want to include in your post. So, to put an image in a post, you first have to make sure your image is somewhere on the Internet.

Note: It is impossible for the image file to be on your computer and the image to show up directly in an OL post. That may not seem logical, but just give it up. This won't happen.

(btw - A server is a big honking computer "out there" with a special connection to the the Internet that allows lots of people to go through it and store stuff on it. Physically, it is at someone else's place. You can consider it to be "somewhere out there" and be fine in your understanding. We call a file saved to a server computer, i.e., "hosted on a server," to be "on the Internet." )

3. Once you get the image file up on the web, then you simply put the image address into your post. The way you do that is:

a) Right-click on the image and select "Copy Image URL" or a term that means the same thing,

b) Go to the OL post you are making and click where you want the image to be.

c) Select the "image" button from the toolbar--it is the 11th button from the left and it looks like a small photograph with a white frame around it. The button in the right of it looks like this: <>

d) A small box called "Image Properties" will pop up. Paste the URL you copied there (Crtl V, or right click in the box and select "Paste). Click OK.

Voila.

4. Now, how the hell do you get an image onto the web? There are several image hosting companies. Here are two good ones:

http://www.flickr.com/

http://photobucket.com/

There are many others. Just bop around with Google searches and you will find them easily. Uploading images to them is really simple. All these sites tend to have very good newbie-friendly instructions for this.

You can also sign up for a Blogger blog and make a post with the image in it. Blogger allows you to upload images directly to the Blogger servers when you post. (There are also newbie-friendly instructions on the Blogger site.) So, after you make your Blogger post, you simply right-click the image in it, copy the URL and make your OL post like above.

5. Sometimes you might like an image on a different site, say a news site or someone else's blog. If you right-click on that image, copy the URL and post it like above, it often works. (There are some technical restrictions at times, but you don't need to know what they are or why at your level right now--just be aware that this sometimes does not work.)

The drawback is that if the site you copy the image from shuts down, rearranges its webpages, takes the image down, etc., the image will no longer show up in your OL post. The way to get around this is to download the image to your computer (using right-click), then re-upload it to an account you control like Flickr or Blogger. Then use that URL.

I hope that helps. If you have any doubts, let me know.

Michael

Cathy, I'm not having a kid to help me with the computer. Maybe I should.

Michael, you know I haven't a clue what you said. All I want is to upload my picture, finally. Everyone ell has a picture. I have it in Words. Anything SIMPLE I can do?

Ginny,

Click on your name at the upper right corner of OL's homepage. A new window will pop up and give you a list. Click on "My Settings." Under "General Account Settings," click the photo tab. A new window will pop up asking you to choose a file from your computer.

J

Ginny,

Click on your name at the upper right corner of OL's homepage. A new window will pop up and give you a list. Click on "My Settings." Under "General Account Settings," click the photo tab. A new window will pop up asking you to choose a file from your computer.

J

But be very careful not to hit the naked button...

Ginny,

I didn't realize you just wanted a picture for your account.

If someday you ever want to include a picture in a post, at least now you know where to look. :)

btw - The OL server does host images of members. That's an exception to the rule. So, to get your picture up, just follow Jonathan's instructions--to the extent you choose, that is. :)

Michael

Shut up! We want her to hit the naked button! What's wrong with you?

J

Oops...my bad!!

Naked button. As Brandt would say, I'm not pushing any stinking naked button. At least as far as you guys will ever know. I'll try doing Johanthan's instructions, but it seems to me I've already tried that.