*Atlas Shrugged Pt. 2 Movie trailer

Backlighting

I think this whole movie project is a disgrace to the magnificence of the book. Part 1 was barely just ok, imo.

B quality actors, a ridiculously small budget, little promotion and the attempt to do this in 3 relatively short installments. Add to that a complete change of actors and a long time in between the parts.

I would rather this project was done over several installments, on a weekly basis, as a tv mini-series.

As my father often said to me when I was growing up: "If you're not going to do it right, don't do it"

Atlas deserved much, much more.

Perhaps in the near future a quality remake of "The Fountainhead" will be done.

I think this whole movie project is a disgrace to the magnificence of the book. Part 1 was barely just ok, imo.

B quality actors, a ridiculously small budget, little promotion and the attempt to do this in 3 relatively short installments. Add to that a complete change of actors and a long time in between the parts.

I would rather this project was done over several installments, on a weekly basis, as a tv mini-series.

As my father often said to me when I was growing up: "If you're not going to do it right, don't do it"

Atlas deserved much, much more.

Perhaps in the near future a quality remake of "The Fountainhead" will be done.

Agreed. As in real life, The Fountainhead as a movie would have, ideally, paved the way for Atlas Shrugged the movie. I am not bullish about this part 2.

If you two guys had contributed a million dollars each of your own money instead of holding back, Part 1 would have been 20% better. John Aglialoro put his own $10 million into Part 1. It was OK. Atlas will be remade in our lifetimes, but this was good. Part II also looks to be a superlative achievement. As I wrote on my blog here.

Like Star Trek, LOTR, and Pride & Prejudice, this is an entertainment product that appeals to a fan market, rather than making one. Yet, the history of entrepreneurship shows that failures are the price of profits. Interestingly, railroading itself provides a convenient paradigm ... Considering the 50-year history of Atlas Shrugged in particular, and Ayn Rand's influence in general, it is clear that we are not yet at the end of the line.

You do not need to spend much time on YouTube to see the amazing talent displayed on hokey mash-ups. Which of you complainers is going to leapfrog the producers of Atlas Shrugged and turn out your own masterpiece?

(... that's what I thought...)

If you two guys had contributed a million dollars each of your own money instead of holding back, Part 1 would have been 20% better. John Aglialoro put his own $10 million into Part 1. It was OK. Atlas will be remade in our lifetimes, but this was good. Part II also looks to be a superlative achievement. As I wrote on my blog here.

Like Star Trek, LOTR, and Pride & Prejudice, this is an entertainment product that appeals to a fan market, rather than making one. Yet, the history of entrepreneurship shows that failures are the price of profits. Interestingly, railroading itself provides a convenient paradigm ... Considering the 50-year history of Atlas Shrugged in particular, and Ayn Rand's influence in general, it is clear that we are not yet at the end of the line.

You do not need to spend much time on YouTube to see the amazing talent displayed on hokey mash-ups. Which of you complainers is going to leapfrog the producers of Atlas Shrugged and turn out your own masterpiece?

Well, on evidence, PDS can really draw so he would be awesome on storyboards, and LV is from you know where, no lack of capital! If they team up nobody could count them out if they knew what was good for them.

• 5 weeks later...

Since I think the movie is a fantastic way to spread the word, especially just before this election, here is a very positive review by Forbes that I just got in my e-mail:

Readers understandably want a verdict on
Atlas Shrugged II
in addition to policy analysis. The answer is that the film is a must see because it in a very handsome way describes the world in which we live today whereby the achievers are being shackled by the moochers. In terms of the film’s quality, it seems high, but then so moved was this reviewer by the elevation of life’s winners, it’s arguably true that my bias blinds me to any weaknesses in the film that might exist.

If so, so what. Atlas Shrugged II is a very interesting movie to watch, and its message about what holds us down in terms of freedom and freedom to achieve couldn’t be timelier. Go see this film, and then get ready for the grand fun in Part III when the winners have completely disappeared, having left their achievements to the unskilled hands of society’s takers. It will be ugly, but also beautiful for reminding the non-sentient among us just how bad life will be if so we so shackle the productive with taxes, regulations, trade restrictions and unstable money such that they disappear altogether.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/2012/10/07/movie-review-why-atlas-shrugged-part-ii-is-a-must-see-film/2/

Additionally, Atlas Shrugged II is being advertised on Rush, as of today...now that will hit over 20, 000, 000 listeners and their networks.

FORWARD!

As much as the quality of AS could be much much improved. I would rather have it out now and spreading its message, even with all of its faults, then have no movie at all. Let's face reality; Christopher Nolan is not going to direct this movie nor is it going to be produced with a $150 million dollar budget. We have to take the hand we're dealt and get people to the theater to see it as it is now.

Thanks for the clip. It was funny.

It is not that Sesame Street indoctrinates "our children" but that it indoctrinated an entire generation. The show first aired November 10, 1969. Forty years. But... although my daughter watched it and echoed it, today she is truly a conservative, embarrassing as that is to confess. When she was four, she echoed some teacher and said that she was for Mondale and Ferraro because she did not want guns in space. Four years later, she was still for sharing the wealth. Today, not so much...

I have similar stories from college and university classes. The broad culture supports and endorses mysticism and sacrifice. But individuals still make choices; and some choose to think; and they think what they choose, regardless of what is on TV or in the classroom.

I just saw this.

Under this theory--and it's converse, such as the praising of great works of art--Rand should not have criticized Beethoven since she was not a concert pianist (let alone a music genius), nor, apparently, was she willing to take piano lessons to become one.

Do I understand your point correctly?

I hope I am misunderstanding your point, because Part 2 still looks like it sucks, and I have no desire to go buy a movie camera, and/or get sued for copyright violations when I do get off my ass and start filming my version of Atlas Shrugged.

Looks like Hannity is going to plug the movie tonight. There was a "coming up" thingy in the bottom corner.

It was pretty short. Aglialoro and Kaslow were there. They showed the part of the movie that Hannity is in. Juan Williams, the other Bickle (not the one who played Ellis Wyatt, can’t think of his name, except that it’s not Travis), and some blonde woman talk about Rearden qua job creator etc. I suspect there needs to be more publicity, but no doubt that’s hard to come by, cheaply at least, now that we’re in Presidential campaign season.

... and I have no desire to go buy a movie camera, and/or get sued for copyright violations when I do get off my ass and start filming my version of Atlas Shrugged.

Absolutely. Do not wear yourself out jumping for those grapes. They are sour. Best to leave off now.

... and I have no desire to go buy a movie camera, and/or get sued for copyright violations when I do get off my ass and start filming my version of Atlas Shrugged.

Absolutely. Do not wear yourself out jumping for those grapes. They are sour. Best to leave off now.

I'm not sure what the notion of "sour grapes" has to do with liking or not liking a trailor for a movie. The producers put out trailors for a reason: i.e., to have potential movie goers evaluate, and hopefully get excited to attend, the movie itself. There is a risk inherent in this, however, which is the generation of despair, indifference, confusion, etc.

You responded to my jest, but not my substantive point: can only those who "pick up their movie camera and stand the post" render tentative opinions--postive or negative--about the upcoming movie?

I loved Atlas Shrugged Part 1, by the way, and (ironically) loved the trailor even better than the movie itself. If I understand your argument, those too were invalid opinions.

I keep thinking about an old homily about a gift horse and a mouth...

Sometimes folks would just be better off saying "Thank you" and moving on as Jack Nicholson opined while on the stand in the movie A Few Good Men.

I saw the clip on Hannity last night quite by accident. I stumbled across it.

What a hoot watching Hannity with the panel of Bob Beckel, Juan Williams and Tamara Holder. Hannity was saying, in that exasperated meme-battle voice he uses, as Beckel looked off impatiently, "But Rearden Metal will create jobs!"

:)

(I think I got the quote right, but if not, it was something very similar.)

I didn't catch what the others did, although I did see a close-up on Juan talking.

Michael

It's on the Fox site, but I can't get the dadgum thing to embed. It'll probably hit YouTube before long. Kaslow mispronounced "Ayn". Hopefully that's biggest complaint anyone will ever have about the publicity for Part II.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1892839740001/atlas-shrugged-ii

I just got an email saying there'll be a special Q&A about a half hour from now, here:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/atlas-shrugged-movie

I don't know about you, but I'm getting keyed up for the VP debate, watching the god awful commentary programs that I usually avoid like the plague. Watching a Q&A about the AS2 movie just doesn't sound like what I'll be doing in a half hour.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/atlas-shrugged-part-ii-filmmakers-378751

And if that's too subtle, the filmmakers aren't shy about clarifying their message.

“There’s no time left to pull any punches,” producer
Harmon Kaslow
tells
The Hollywood Reporter
. “We purposely set out to release the film just before the election. It was no accident. As a country, we need to right the ship now. This is the most important election of our lifetime and we intend on shining a light on Ayn Rand’s ideas.”

That attitude goes against recent history in Hollywood.