Wiki announces my death

Someone recently called my attention to the first line of the Wiki article on ATCAG, to wit:

Atheism: The Case Against God is a 1974 book arguing against theism and for atheism by the late political author and educator George H. Smith.

http://en.wikipedia....ase_Against_God

I haven't been feeling great recently, but I didn't know that I had died. That explains a lot.

Given that I am dead, there definitely is life after death. It may not be much of a life, but dead people cannot be choosy.

Ghs

Nah...Death took a holiday...

So shalt thou feed on death, that feeds on men,
And death once dead, there's no more dying then.
Sonnet 146, William Shakespeare

I would quote Mark Twain, when he found his obituary in the newspapers........but .it's probably his most famous quote. So, never mind..

You know, I haven't noticed George about round here, recently. Do any OLers know what he's up to?

He's been deathly quiet...

Full report from the other side, if you will Ghs.

:smile:

Well, the movies are decent here on the other side. I just got back from seeing "The Avengers," and it is excellent.

I hope I will not be trapped in Bloomington for eternity. That would truly be a fate worse than death. But I seem to be able to walk through walls, so that might come in handy.

I have three overdue library books (on the history of Scotland, of all things). I assume I will not be charged any late fees.

Ghs

I would quote Mark Twain, when he found his obituary in the newspapers........but .it's probably his most famous quote. So, never mind..

Wise choice. The Twain quote occurred to me as well, but it would have been too embarrassing to say the obvious.

Ghs

I just corrected it. The change was made June 22, I just undid everything the person did. If you click on View History you can see what it looked like before. I commented "George Smith is not "late"; not only is he not dead yet, he finds this error amusing. He writes a weekly piece for the Cato Institute and c" at that point I ran out of characters. I meant to continue "contributes to Objectivistliving.com on a regular basis", but I got the point across.

What's George going to say about this resurrection?

--Brant

It's good to be alive, again.

I reached one important conclusion during my brief sojourn in the afterlife, namely, that all children should be banned from the afterlife.

I arrived at this conclusion earlier today, after my old friend Colley and his girlfriend drove five of their kids, ages 7 to 17, from Decatur to Bloomington so they could use the ISU swimming pool.

Colley asked if I wanted to see "The Avengers" while the kids used the pool. I did, so Colley and his girlfriend dropped them off and then picked me up in a minivan.

We retrieved the kids after the film was over. On the way back to my place, the oldest girl said: "Hey, George, do you have any Up Doc?

I naively replied: "What's up Doc?"

Of course, this provoked riotous laughter among the kids. After the laughter died down, the two youngest chanted "What's up Doc?" the rest of the way home.

Kids should definitely be banned from the afterlife.

Ghs

I just corrected it. The change was made June 22, I just undid everything the person did. If you click on View History you can see what it looked like before. I commented "George Smith is not "late"; not only is he not dead yet, he finds this error amusing. He writes a weekly piece for the Cato Institute and c" at that point I ran out of characters. I meant to continue "contributes to Objectivistliving.com on a regular basis", but I got the point across.

Thanks.

The June 22 change was very odd. I wonder if the person meant it as a joke.

Ghs

If you take a minute and look at all the changes he (she?) made, and look at his history, it's clear that this person is anti-GHS, and quite interested in theology. Also, this person is new, was quite active for a few days, and doesn't bother to explain his changes.

If you take a minute and look at all the changes he (she?) made, and look at his history, it's clear that this person is anti-GHS, and quite interested in theology. Also, this person is new, was quite active for a few days, and doesn't bother to explain his changes.

That cooks my theory that some editor/publisher was taking a dig at Ghs for missing a deadline.

and quite interested in theology.

Were it not for this one little bit, I'd have wondered whether Jim Valliant was behind it :devil:.

But such vandalism by "contributors" is what makes participating at Wikipedia so thankless.

Robert Campbell

Were it not for this one little bit, I'd have wondered whether Jim Valliant was behind it :devil:.

Now just a minute, I thought his next writing project was going to be about early Christianity! Maybe he can do for Dan Brown’s Da Vinci Code what he did for Ayn Rand’s To Whom It May Concern

Anyway, this person only left behind an IP address, they didn’t use a sign in. I’ve done edits before without bothering to sign in, so I know that my IP address changes. I’ve gone back and checked edits that I know I made, and I’m sure because they have my chatty commentary explaining what I did and why. Maybe they’ve learned a lesson or two over there in the Valliant household, and they’re unplugging their DSL every now and then so it resets with a new IP address.

and quite interested in theology.

But such vandalism by "contributors" is what makes participating at Wikipedia so thankless.

Robert Campbell

Maybe Valliant is still pissed because of something I said on SOLO years ago, while the PARC controversy was still raging. I said that I didn't understand how he could get through a meal without stabbing himself in the face with a fork.

BB was on SOLO at the time, and she appreciated the line. But I don't think anyone else did. :cool:

Ghs