10 questions with the producer of ‘Atlas Shrugged’ John Aglialoro

Opera is the only way to go. All in the public domain so it would be cheap to produce. I see the "viva la libertar" chorus from Don Giovanni as a finale. And long recitatives would be perfect for the speeches.

Neil Schulman isn't here any more, methinks, so I'll take the liberty of quoting his description in Alongside Night, written in 1979, of a New York café that his two teenaged protagonists patronize:

‎Manrico and Pagliacci's specialized in Italian cuisine set to operatic videodiscs — though not exclusively Italian opera. After they had again ordered — once more from eurofranc menus — Elliot directed his attention to the screen, in a moment recognizing it as the Metropolitan Opera recording of the modern masterpiece Die Achselnzucken des Atlas. It was the final act of the seven-hour-long opera, in which Johann, the unseen hero, was singing his fifty-eight-minute Radiorede aria.

Opera is the only way to go. All in the public domain so it would be cheap to produce. I see the "viva la libertar" chorus from Don Giovanni as a finale. And long recitatives would be perfect for the speeches.

Neil Schulman isn't here any more, methinks, so I'll take the liberty of quoting his description in Alongside Night, written in 1979, of a New York café that his two teenaged protagonists patronize:

‎Manrico and Pagliacci's specialized in Italian cuisine set to operatic videodiscs — though not exclusively Italian opera. After they had again ordered — once more from eurofranc menus — Elliot directed his attention to the screen, in a moment recognizing it as the Metropolitan Opera recording of the modern masterpiece Die Achselnzucken des Atlas. It was the final act of the seven-hour-long opera, in which Johann, the unseen hero, was singing his fifty-eight-minute Radiorede aria.

Oh, no! J. Neil has been melding with my mind! And I thought it was just Aristotle again!

Carol:

As long as that "melding" stays above your neckline, your public purity will be preserved.

Adam

Carol:

As long as that "melding" stays above your neckline, your public purity will be preserved.

Adam

Lucky for me, fun above the neckline is compatible with purity.

Those pure fun zones are such moveable feasts!Er.. wait a minute, isn't it Lent yet?

Actually, how about a rock opera comparable to Tommy or The Wall? Looks like Rush would love to do it.

They could adapt Galt’s Speech to the tune of "Pinball Wizard":

“I’m a brain-drain wizard

I made myself a list

A brain-drain wizard

Ya never knew they’d even be missed”

We should probably skip all that philosophy stuff. Why bore people with that?

Actually, how about a rock opera comparable to Tommy or The Wall? Looks like Rush would love to do it.

They could adapt Galt's Speech to the tune of "Pinball Wizard":

"I'm a brain-drain wizard

I made myself a list

A brain-drain wizard

Ya never knew they'd even be missed"

sarcasm.gif

> They could adapt Galt’s Speech to the tune of "Pinball Wizard":

I made myself a list

A brain-drain wizard

Dennis, clever - I actually got a five second chuckle out of that. (Note that Oists always chuckle as in Atlas. We never laugh out loud.)

> They could adapt Galt’s Speech to the tune of "Pinball Wizard":

I made myself a list

A brain-drain wizard

Dennis, clever - I actually got a five second chuckle out of that. (Note that Oists always chuckle as in Atlas. We never laugh out loud.)

I hope and trust that your chuckle was properly integrated as appropriate. There are rules about these things you know.

There are indeed. My rule is that a person with a decent sense of life never lets a chuckle degenerate into a chortle. And only malevolent premises explain a snicker.

There are indeed. My rule is that a person with a decent sense of life never lets a chuckle degenerate into a chortle. And only malevolent premises explain a snicker.

Exactly! That covers the vocal aesthetics. Other scholars have covered scornfully smiling, briefly smiling, grimly smiling (hard to do but ethically justifiable), grinning (only for peons) smirking and sneering (copyrightTM estate of Ayn Rand)done only by fictional villains who thought they knew better.

Now laughing - is that like pre-music, like Mozart? Unthinkable about?

Edited by daunce lynam

Exactly! That covers the vocal aesthetics. Other scholars have covered scornfully smiling, briefly smiling, grimly smiling (hard to do but ethically justifiable), grinning (only for peons) smirking and sneering (copyrightTM estate of Ayn Rand)done only by fictional villains who thought they knew better.

"Howard Roark laughed!"

"Howard Roark laughed!"

Howard Roark is a fictional hero! We are mere mortals, and need guidance.

"Howard Roark laughed!"

Howard Roark is a fictional hero! We are mere mortals, and need guidance.

Ah, so Carol can make reference to Ayn's fictional villains to make her points, but I cannot use Ayn's fictional hero's to make mine!

Got it,

Fascinating,

Adam

>They could adapt Galt’s Speech to the tune of "Pinball Wizard":

I made myself a list

A brain-drain wizard

A chuckle is a quiet guffaw of mild amusement, but if it exceeds 3 seconds, it qualifies as a laugh. A 5 second chuckle is a bona fide laugh. If Roark can do it, you certainly can. In fact, you can even throw your head back and laugh. (Careful. Not too fast. You don’t want a cervical sprain.)

In any case, thanks.

(Is this how Rodgers and Hammerstein got their start?)

They could adapt Galt's Speech to the tune of "Pinball Wizard":

"I'm a brain-drain wizard

I made myself a list

A brain-drain wizard

Ya never knew they'd even be missed"

sarcasm.gif

sarcasm.gif

MOI?

> Clever - I actually got a five second chuckle out of that. [P]

> If it exceeds 3 seconds, it qualifies as a laugh. [D]

Dennis, I'm quite slow and somewhat retarded. For me a chuckle takes a full five seconds because I don't have your catlike mental reflexes.

Edited by Philip Coates

> Clever - I actually got a five second chuckle out of that. [P]

> If it exceeds 3 seconds, it qualifies as a laugh. [D]

Dennis, I'm quite slow and somewhat retarded. For me a chuckle takes a full five seconds because I don't have your catlike mental reflexes.

Nor my dreaded claws of steel. :rolleyes: