Canadian Politics: Boring beyond Belief, or just Dull and Tedious?

caroljane

No Anne Murray.

How bout some people who used to live on rez at Dal?

I worked in the PR office at Dal for 5 months! If I'd known those guys were in the rez I would have done a lot of information gathering on dorm life. In-depth research.

Were you in this group or in the orchestra?

No Anne Murray.

How bout some people who used to live on rez at Dal?

I worked in the PR office at Dal for 5 months! If I'd known those guys were in the rez I would have done a lot of information gathering on dorm life. In-depth research.

Were you in this group or in the orchestra?

Also do you or any older MacD relatives speak any Gaelic? I'll forbear asking your middle name or shoe size, else I would appear to be a nosy old busybody.

...else I would appear to be a nosy old busybody.

Carol,

Nosy? no chance - you are the soul of reticence.

Busy, yes; and right about now, most nights, I visit this soporific thread to prepare for bed. :blink: So, please keep it going.

Body-wise, it's difficult to tell, since the raincoat leaves a lot to the imagination.

Gnight

Tony

...else I would appear to be a nosy old busybody.

Carol,

Nosy? no chance - you are the soul of reticence.

Busy, yes; and right about now, most nights, I visit this soporific thread to prepare for bed. :blink: So, please keep it going.

Body-wise, it's difficult to tell, since the raincoat leaves a lot to the imagination.

Gnight

Tony

Ah, the dear old raincoat. Dressing is so difficult for one who is uninterested in fashion, hates shopping and is incurably cheap. Yet professionally, this problem confronts me every day. I am required to not only explain Canadian clothing to the shivering newcomers, but to exemplify it.

I have begged the school board to supply me with a uniform such as my son wears when repairing the streetcar tracks, but to no avail.So I have had to devise my own: an academic gownlet cut down from my dear late husband's favourite bathrobe, worn over a variety of soccer or hockey shirts from the attic, with appropriate legwear that happens to be clean on schooldays. Many of our lessons consist of perusing the Picture Dictionary and the winter clothing section is especially fruitful of discussion. I have been able to give my rendition of "I have lost my underwear, I don't care, I'll go bare...bye,bye long johns", while teaching the proper spellings and pronunciation of "TUQUE" and cautioning the students never to call it a ski hat or they will be deported.

As we at the Igloo are all most anxious that you complete your rest cure, I will tell a bedtime story. a true one concerning my abovementioned son in his pursuit of core values in the public transit system.

One night shift he and the crew were repairing the tracks across from Jilly's, a strip joint said to be a seedy fave of the actor Rob Lowe. Bored, or perhaps enraged at the sight of fellow citizens engaged in honest labour, patrons of the establishment came outside and started throwing bottles and rocks at the workers. The barrage became so heavy that they had to retreat to their truck and cower there until backup arrived. A police car soon came, which cowed the mob somewhat, and a Jilly's employee strolled over to the truck and offered to enjoy everybody's company at a discount rate. She offered to throw in the cop for free. He was laughing so hard he had to be helped back to his patrol car.

No injuries were reported.

Your eyelids are getting heavy.....

Daunce,

1) I did my time at Mount A, not Dal. Though Sloane did do an 8 HOUR SHOW for our frosh week.

2) Sydney Academy had a Gaelic class but I avoided it. I do have a friend whose ex-gf was fluent in it. She is literally the only Caper I met who was. Yes, CB does have a gaelic college. I have no idea how it stayed open. My Hebrew is stronger than my Gaelic and my Hebrew isn't enough to get me through a hot dog stand. :P

3) Joel "Lauchlin" Mac Donald. From the Isle of Skye, then to the Bras D'or... Bra's Dor... Strange, you spend your whole life swimming there but can't spell it for strangers :P

We owned a good chunk of Cape Breton in the late 1800's. Highlights included naming natural landmarks and telling Bell to go jump in a lake.

Enough about me, what about you?

Daunce,

1) I did my time at Mount A, not Dal. Though Sloane did do an 8 HOUR SHOW for our frosh week.

2) Sydney Academy had a Gaelic class but I avoided it. I do have a friend whose ex-gf was fluent in it. She is literally the only Caper I met who was. Yes, CB does have a gaelic college. I have no idea how it stayed open. My Hebrew is stronger than my Gaelic and my Hebrew isn't enough to get me through a hot dog stand. :P

3) Joel "Lauchlin" Mac Donald. From the Isle of Skye, then to the Bras D'or... Bra's Dor... Strange, you spend your whole life swimming there but can't spell it for strangers :P

We owned a good chunk of Cape Breton in the late 1800's. Highlights included naming natural landmarks and telling Bell to go jump in a lake.

Enough about me, what about you?

Lachlan, cool, he was Macbeth's stepson!

You lucky. My family though Loyalists never owned anything but the family farms or parts of woods. My mat grandfather however, drove everybody mad with his senile laments about how he would be rich if he had just bought a section of New River Beach for $800 in the 1930s. How we was supposed to get hold of $800 in the Depression as the poorest man in town with 6 children he never explained to us.He also had strong feelings about the 6 children, frequently stating that he should have "stopped at Lloyd" (the eldest and favourite).

This said while the unwelcome 3rd, my mother, served him his dinner. He was a character. Well, it was the duty of Maritimers of that generation to be characters, n'est-ce pas?

It's fascinating and startling to listen in as Canadians discuss the bewildering minutiae of their arcane culture. I feel as though I am in the theater at Epidaurus and can hear a pin drop from the fiftieth row.

But I hadn't realized until this last exchange several posts back that Dickens was Canadian.

Edited by Philip Coates

Fraternal Order of Sacred igloo local 13

to: All members, Study Group

It has come to my attention that that an old, vicious and dishonest smear has reared its hideous head again, the one that says Canadian sports are rife with sexual depravity and licence.

This lie has been refuted many times. I will merely point out the well known fact that the foremost player of Hockey today, Sidney Crosby, has never had sex with anybody since he is too Moral to indulge before marriage and also his lower body musculature is overdeveloped, somewhat like Queen Elizabeth I of England the Virgin.

To the younger members who have shown interest in learning lacrosse, it is only played in the lower latitudes where the sun comes out two weeks a year.

I expect a good discussion on next week's topic, Militarism Imagery in Rilla of Ingleside.

Nanook

getting too old for this

To: Secret Plan Cadre

Re: Intelligence Alert

It has been verified that an operative in Sector 13 has been identified by American intelligence. Agent S, that dunce, has been spotted. An alert citizen noticed that Agent S had nothing else to do, researched that she had never produced any goods or services, and shrewdly deduced that she was being paid to infiltrate . (no word on whether the payment in American currency has been noticed). Some psychological analysis was involved in profiling Agent S's self-loathing and lack of pride, I can't say I ever noticed that but she will sure loathe herself when I get through with her also "Controller" Jole I mean Agent B, rendezvous at usual place unless I just can't take much more of this, brotherhood is one thing but being everybody's dogsbody is another. And that goes for my dog's bodies too, I do not mind lending them out but you should not overfeed them or let the kids ride on their backs.

Distractedly,

Nanook

It's fascinating and startling to listen in as Canadians discuss the bewildering minutiae of their arcane culture. I feel as though I am in the theater at Epidaurus and can hear a pin drop from the fiftieth row.

But I hadn't realized until this last exchange several posts back that Dickens was Canadian.

Phil, if you want to be in that row at Epidaurus, read The Mask of Apollo by Mary Renault. In fact I will not send you your dictionary until you start. Actually I don't know if you like novels so you only have to read the first chapter.

Dickens was Canadian?-- I should have been informed of this, that Nanook is not pulling his weight multitasking in culture whatever, maybe we should outsource that function. All our offshore options are ice floes though. Still, some of those walruses look pretty bright.

Subject: Historical Novelists

Daunce, when I was in high school I read "The Bull From the Sea" and "The King Must Die". I think I also read "The Mask of Apollo", but I'm not sure. Now that you remind me, it's time to read her again: I'm very sure I'd love Mary Renault as an adult.

As a historical novelist, I much preferred her work to "The Clan of the Cave Bear" for example....and I'm trying to think of other h.n.'s that I read and admired, but I haven't had my caffeine yet.

Hmmm...Michener, in a way, is an h.n. I loved "Hawaii".

I apologize for making a serious point on this thread :rolleyes:

Subject: Historical Novelists[/

[/quote

Don't apologize, we need to keep making serious points (even I do it) on this thread, so it will stay in Politics and not get moved to LOL, or the teenage anarchists might take over Politics again.

I loved Hawaii too, and The Tell even more. The genius of Michener was that he understood and conveyed history and culture so deeply, that his books written in the 60s and 70s predicted the course of countries in the 21st century - Tony and I discussed this on the "Mandiba" thread about The Covenant.

Subject: Historical Novelists

Daunce, when I was in high school I read "The Bull From the Sea" and "The King Must Die". I think I also read "The Mask of Apollo", but I'm not sure. Now that you remind me, it's time to read her again: I'm very sure I'd love Mary Renault as an adult.

As a historical novelist, I much preferred her work to "The Clan of the Cave Bear" for example....and I'm trying to think of other h.n.'s that I read and admired, but I haven't had my caffeine yet.

PS, When you read Renault again, tell me the main thing she has in common with Ayn Rand. It's very striking.

They are both female. I never saw anything by Rand with a homosexual theme. The closest thing to man on man love I saw in Rand was when Hank grabbed Francisco to save him from death by fire. It was very Romantic.

Ba'al Chatzaf