Canadian Politics: Boring beyond Belief, or just Dull and Tedious?

caroljane

Not too drunk or stoned to threaten damage and have good friends inflict it for him, in or out of jail.

I admire your ability, Carol, to post on a site as male chauvinistic piggie as this one.

--Brant

oink! OINK! Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Thanks, any admiration is always welcome.

And I don't find the site is any piggier than it was when I first joined it. Not that that is saying much.

Not too drunk or stoned to threaten damage and have good friends inflict it for him, in or out of jail.

I admire your ability, Carol, to post on a site as male chauvinistic piggie as this one.

--Brant

And I don't find the site is any piggier than it was when I first joined it. Not that that is saying much.

Your absence has not made our admiration grow fonder.**

**Meant as a compliment. Not sure if the plane landed on the right runway.

--Brant

Your absence has not made our admiration grow fonder.**

**Meant as a compliment. Not sure if the plane landed on the right runway.

Yeah, it landed on #9 where I'm stuck here on the ground.

• 4 years later...
On 2/10/2011 at 10:54 PM, caroljane said:

I start this thread at the suggestion of a compatriot whom I interrupted in the midst of a Mideast discussion, because I had become alarmed at signs that Canada will be going to the polls again, as soon as the polls are favourable for the Government.

You Americans have your problems, but never knowing when you will have to elect a new government is not one of them. You at least can be sure that when you elect a President, you are pretty much stuck with him for four years, whatever he does. We can't vote for our Prime Minister unless we live in his home city, and we can theoretically kick him out whenever we want, except then we would have to vote even more frequently than usual.The PM's character and credentials are important of course, but he's only the leader of a party, and we only get to vote on the character and credentials of our local guy. We don't even get to make comments on the ballot about the party leaders' wives or husbands or anything. We get to make fun of their clothes and everything in the newspapers, but it isn't the same.

Is anybody still awake? No? Good. This is actually a cover for our benign cultural organization, whose motto is Boring from Within, a handy drop-in for Canucks and affiliates (you know who you are) to have friendly discussions of the Secret Plan.Therefore, to the strains of "Song for a Winter's Night", soft, soft...

To all our dear friends and trading partners, we wish you,

as ever,

Good Night and Good Neighbours

Now that we have  received the signal,  the  hour is at hand! All deep cover patriots can emerge without fear, as we make the Icecaps white again!

By order of Highest Security ,

ISS,

Gord

I am disappointed. Does Canada have patriots, free marketers, and a right wing or libertarian segment of the population other than the Eskimos? Does Canada have a military? Does Canada "push" freedom or defend the world like Americans if it is in our interests? Does Canada create and produce any TV of its own? From Australia we get Doctor Blake Mysteries. From England we get quite a few programs. Where is Canada's Downton Abbey?  

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, caroljane said:

Well said, Jules!

And reruns of "The Plouffe Family " from the 1950's. 

Downton, Schmownton!

Daunce (Carol) once wrote to audiognostic: Your approach is to try to understand your own emotions, and turn them into art. end quote

Sigh. You poor Canadians. What you have to put up with. So, just what percent of Canadians are conservatives or support a libertarian government?

59 minutes ago, Peter said:

Daunce (Carol) once wrote to audiognostic: Your approach is to try to understand your own emotions, and turn them into art. end quote

Sigh. You poor Canadians. What you have to put up with. So, just what percent of Canadians are conservatives or support a libertarian government?

Two separate questions lib-conservative, (our versions), usually even-steven. Self-identified Libertarians,I would have to look up but I don't recall one ever getting elected. It sure is not 51% anyway, and we don't have an electoral college praise the Lord!*

*That would be my current favourite lord, George Gordon, Lord Byron, who wrote, "yet standing on the Persians' grave,/I could not deem myself a slave." I can recite the whole of "The Isles of Greece" from memory, and many longer selections from Housman to cummings - you really should invite me to a party sometime.

Sorry for besmirching our allies, Carol.

I remember some Canadian TV too. Catherine Disher, a Canadian plays Martha Tinsdale, the chubby mayor of Middleton a small town in the US., which is fictionally located just north of Chicago on “The Good Witch.”

Catherine Disher was also in the Canadian TV show “Forever Knight.” She was a svelte babe back then. It is filmed in Toronto and of course “The Good Witch” is filmed in Toronto. I wish there was more “magic” in “The Good Witch,” though not like in “Bewitched” or “I Dream of Jeanie.”

22 minutes ago, Peter said:

Sorry for besmirching our allies, Carol.

I remember some Canadian TV too. Catherine Disher, a Canadian plays Martha Tinsdale, the chubby mayor of Middleton a small town in the US., which is fictionally located just north of Chicago on “The Good Witch.”

Catherine Disher was also in the Canadian TV show “Forever Knight.” She was a svelte babe back then. It is filmed in Toronto and of course “The Good Witch” is filmed in Toronto. I wish there was more “magic” in “The Good Witch,” though not like in “Bewitched” or “I Dream of Jeanie.”

For future nostalgia, the legal drama "Suits" is also fimed in Toronto, which for the past seven years featured a little actress called Meghan Markle.

This continues on a tone of harrumph shown elsewhere today. Where to jump in? I can't tell if these guys are playing water polo or trying to kill each other.

1 hour ago, caroljane said:

Two separate questions lib-conservative, (our versions), usually even-steven. Self-identified Libertarians,I would have to look up but I don't recall one ever getting elected. It sure is not 51% anyway, and we don't have an electoral college praise the Lord!*

*That would be my current favourite lord, George Gordon, Lord Byron, who wrote, "yet standing on the Persians' grave,/I could not deem myself a slave." I can recite the whole of "The Isles of Greece" from memory, and many longer selections from Housman to cummings - you really should invite me to a party sometime.

I stopped loving poetry the first time it was used against me.

On 5/14/2018 at 8:30 AM, Peter said:

I am disappointed. Does Canada have patriots, free marketers, and a right wing or libertarian segment of the population other than the Eskimos? Does Canada have a military? Does Canada "push" freedom or defend the world like Americans if it is in our interests? Does Canada create and produce any TV of its own? From Australia we get Doctor Blake Mysteries. From England we get quite a few programs. Where is Canada's Downton Abbey?

Eskimo is a slur in Canada, we use Inuit. Patriots, yes, all stripes. From coast to coast to coast. Right wing or conservative values are of long standing in Canada. We have one of those rotating, alternating Westminster systems, the cycle is conservative, reform, liberal, repeat. Reform is generally in a libertarian direction, with long lineage in Alberta, notably, but also in other places. In Ontario a provincial "Common Sense Revolution" overturned a liberal for a conservative decade. And yet, the reform-left took it with an NDP win not so long after the 'revolution' gave way in the cycle.

The most conservative thrills in Canada are in Alberta, with a hint of Dear Leader. I'll let you look up Bible Bill on your own. His party was in power for thirty plus years uninterrupted. Of course, Alberta is now as multicultural and talented as any other leading province, so it does a back-flip with an interlude of you guessed-it reform-left NDP.  

Re the military, look it up. I posted a Remembrance Day comment last November. The military losses play a big role in national iconography like the breasty ladies on the Vimy Memorial. But yeah, military with sorrow accounted for and profound lessons to never militarize a civil conflict between Ottawa and a province. We had wild riots and other unrest in Quebec notably over conscription in both the first and second world war, though of course there are French regiments and regalia in our military traditions. Canadians together need a pretty good reason to go to war against another state, having preferred to mediate the Suez Crisis, sit out the Vietnam war, avoid the second Iraq war, do in and out ops in Afghanistan, and lately Syria in NATO action contra ISIS.

Our military is in strict and beautiful alliance with the USA in over-arching defense architecture. NORAD, hell yeah.  Anyway. So what?  We don't have nukes, having refused them on our soil in the early sixties and causing a stink in Washington. So what is new? Just think of a big half French Californalaska half the size of Russia with half its intrinsic interest besides the persistent Frenchiness.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:43 PM, caroljane said:

Well said, Jules!

And reruns of "The Plouffe Family " from the 1950's. 

Downton, Schmownton!

Now, here's the thing. The politics of the film and television industry in Canada are profoundly boring, so I will leave that to the absolute bottom. 

The figures out of our production centres show an kind of invasion, if not overthrow of the American allied industries. Yes.

In the old days, Montreal and Toronto comprised the studio centres in Canada, for both media. Regional production centres were small and almost always under-funded. Still, over time, a reasonably-talented pool of workers was socialized into existence by Canadian content rules and slightly cheaper dollar.  Plus straight-up communist tax-breaks for industry.

In BC, for example, once the third bump on  hill in Canada compared to enormous mountains of production in Los Angeles and New York, and a pretty inconsequential bump compared to Toronto ... with Vancouver the entire market has burgeoned. Nowadays, in terms of raw dollar figures, Vancouver is number three after LA and NYC. We pump out a lot of content, especially in gaming, animation, software and, "American" TV and movies.

Thing is, for a long time, you will have had no clue that American TV and movies were shot north of the border. Or which ones. It's a kind of creepy camouflage that Vancouver is really good at. In these cases the local elements are scrubbed in favour of either the Stars and Stripes or effaced into an Everywhere. Where do you think Supergirl is filmed? LA or America-played-by-British-Columbia or communist-tax-break South Carolina?  Of all 'Seattle' of Alaska or Pacific Northwest movies, are sixty percent faked in BC?

Other than that secret vantage on the communism, we export our own labeled product. Two examples seen in 160 languages or so are the boring and tedious Murdoch Mysteries and the boring and tedious Trailer Park Boys.  Anne of Green Gables. Degrassi ad nauseum. 

Now as to the politics, ever since the animation studios in Vancouver seized the means of production for Hanna-Barbera cartoons back in 196 .. Zsssssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by william.scherk
Creepy camouflage
  • Like 1

When I try to type a reply to OL I get locked up, but if I cut and paste twice I am still OK.

Hanna Barbara cartoons? Wow. Is Hanna Barbara in California? I was going to watch “Suits” on Netflix but never got around to it. I don’t think I would want my wife to be an actress who kissed on screen. Ugh.

Headlines from the web. “Lois and Clark’s” Dean Cain has joined the Idaho police force. Cities will soon be under water . . . many of them were in New Jersey and they mentioned Ocean City, New Jersey but not Ocean City, Maryland. Yeah! Ah. I mean I am so sorry Atlantic City. Of course Saint Pete and the lower keys in Florida will be gone too.

Time for a pick me up video filmed at high elevations in Denmark. I will fake it. What does the fox say? The secret of the fox is an ancient mystery. Somewhere deep in the woods I know you're hiding. What is your sound? Will we ever know? Will you always be a mystery. (Wa-wa-way-do, wub-wid-bid-dum-way-do, wa-wa-way-do) Will we ever know? (Bay-budabud-dum-bam) I want to (Mama-dum-day-do) I want to, I want to know! (Abay-ba-da bum-bum bay-d).

19 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

This continues on a tone of harrumph shown elsewhere today. Where to jump in? I can't tell if these guys are playing water polo or trying to kill each other.

I stopped loving poetry the first time it was used against me.

Eskimo is a slur in Canada, we use Inuit. Patriots, yes, all stripes. From coast to coast to coast. Right wing or conservative values are of long standing in Canada. We have one of those rotating, alternating Westminster systems, the cycle is conservative, reform, liberal, repeat. Reform is generally in a libertarian direction, with long lineage in Alberta, notably, but also in other places. In Ontario a provincial "Common Sense Revolution" overturned a liberal for a conservative decade. And yet, the reform-left took it with an NDP win not so long after the 'revolution' gave way in the cycle.

The most conservative thrills in Canada are in Alberta, with a hint of Dear Leader. I'll let you look up Bible Bill on your own. His party was in power for thirty plus years uninterrupted. Of course, Alberta is now as multicultural and talented as any other leading province, so it does a back-flip with an interlude of you guessed-it reform-left NDP.  

Re the military, look it up. I posted a Remembrance Day comment last November. The military losses play a big role in national iconography like the breasty ladies on the Vimy Memorial. But yeah, military with sorrow accounted for and profound lessons to never militarize a civil conflict between Ottawa and a province. We had wild riots and other unrest in Quebec notably over conscription in both the first and second world war, though of course there are French regiments and regalia in our military traditions. Canadians together need a pretty good reason to go to war against another state, having preferred to mediate the Suez Crisis, sit out the Vietnam war, avoid the second Iraq war, do in and out ops in Afghanistan, and lately Syria in NATO action contra ISIS.

Our military is in strict and beautiful alliance with the USA in over-arching defense architecture. NORAD, hell yeah.  Anyway. So what?  We don't have nukes, having refused them on our soil in the early sixties and causing a stink in Washington. So what is new? Just think of a big half French Californalaska half the size of Russia with half its intrinsic interest besides the persistent Frenchiness.

Now, here's the thing. The politics of the film and television industry in Canada are profoundly boring, so I will leave that to the absolute bottom. 

The figures out of our production centres show an kind of invasion, if not overthrow of the American allied industries. Yes.

In the old days, Montreal and Toronto comprised the studio centres in Canada, for both media. Regional production centres were small and almost always under-funded. Still, over time, a reasonably-talented pool of workers was socialized into existence by Canadian content rules and slightly cheaper dollar.  Plus straight-up communist tax-breaks for industry.

In BC, for example, once the third bump on  hill in Canada compared to enormous mountains of production in Los Angeles and New York, and a pretty inconsequential bump compared to Toronto ... with Vancouver the entire market has burgeoned. Nowadays, in terms of raw dollar figures, Vancouver is number three after LA and NYC. We pump out a lot of content, especially in gaming, animation, software and, "American" TV and movies.

Thing is, for a long time, you will have had no clue that American TV and movies were shot north of the border. Or which ones. It's a kind of creepy camouflage that Vancouver is really good at. In these cases the local elements are scrubbed in favour of either the Stars and Stripes or effaced into an Everywhere. Where do you think Supergirl is filmed? LA or America-played-by-British-Columbia or communist-tax-break South Carolina?  Of all 'Seattle' of Alaska or Pacific Northwest movies, are sixty percent faked in BC?

Other than that secret vantage on the communism, we export our own labeled product. Two examples seen in 160 languages or so are the boring and tedious Murdoch Mysteries and the boring and tedious Trailer Park Boys.  Anne of Green Gables. Degrassi ad nauseum. 

Now as to the politics, ever since the animation studios in Vancouver seized the means of production for Hanna-Barbera cartoons back in 196 .. Zsssssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thanks for the primer. Now I am worried that Hollywood will find they don't admire our principles so much, if their government decides to tariff them for not staying in Hollywood. They don't call it show art, after all. And it is a significant sector of our metropolitan income.

16 minutes ago, Peter said:

When I try to type a reply to OL I get locked up, but if I cut and paste twice I am still OK.

Hanna Barbara cartoons? Wow. Is Hanna Barbara in California? I was going to watch “Suits” on Netflix but never got around to it. I don’t think I would want my wife to be an actress who kissed on screen. Ugh.

Headlines from the web. “Lois and Clark’s” Dean Cain has joined the Idaho police force. Cities will soon be under water . . . many of them were in New Jersey and they mentioned Ocean City, New Jersey but not Ocean City, Maryland. Yeah! Ah. I mean I am so sorry Atlantic City. Of course Saint Pete and the lower keys in Florida will be gone too.

Time for a pick me up video filmed at high elevations in Denmark. I will fake it. What does the fox say? The secret of the fox is an ancient mystery. Somewhere deep in the woods I know you're hiding. What is your sound? Will we ever know? Will you always be a mystery. (Wa-wa-way-do, wub-wid-bid-dum-way-do, wa-wa-way-do) Will we ever know? (Bay-budabud-dum-bam) I want to (Mama-dum-day-do) I want to, I want to know! (Abay-ba-da bum-bum bay-d).

Peter,

Do you also have a prescription for medical mariuana as I do? 

One thing  that should be noted about original Canadian TV productions. 

SCTV,

John Candy's King Learesque turn as demoted on-air personality...just a brilliant day's work for the crew.

No words enough for how they delighted our entire youth, and beyond.

I salted the story with a big lie.  Hanna Barbera was the big cartoon house. Vancouver had built but a back-office inking centre by the time of the H-B decline in the eighties. We didn't even do Mighty Mouse. Or did we ....?

Animation studios in Vancouver now do almost half a billion dollars of business a year as of 2016. That doesn't even include the games industry. And another thing ZZZZsss zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ahem ... a devilish Canadian-American-Mexican confection brought to you by the Vancouver communist crew:

Edited by william.scherk
It's all a blur

6 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

I salted the story with a big lie.  Hanna Barbera was the big cartoon house. Vancouver had built but a back-office inking centre by the time of the H-B decline in the eighties. We didn't even do Mighty Mouse. Or did we ....?

Animation studios in Vancouver now do almost half a billion dollars of business a year as of 2016. That doesn't even include the games industry. And another thing ZZZZsss zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ahem ... a devilish Canadian-American-Mexican confection brought to you by the Vancouver communist crew:

"I forgive you for burning down  our home, son" said the frail wheelchair-bound dad,clutching his newly-acquired Bbible in one hand and his newly-released from jail  lowlife son in the other.

How I miss the TPB Remember when they hijacked Rita McNeil's tour bus and forced her and the backup musicians to harvest their weed crop?

2 hours ago, caroljane said:

Peter,

Do you also have a prescription for medical mariuana as I do? 

Highway robbery. High above me. Highjacking. Highlanders. Highbrows.

No smokey the dope. No eat’a the brownie. But don’t give up hope. You still make me frowny.   

Peter

First class, fancy free, she's high society
She's got the best of everything
Why could a guy like me ever really offer?
She's perfect as she can be, why should I even bother, ah ha
Cause she's so high
High above me, she's so lovely
She's so high
Like Cleopatra, Joan of Arc, or Aphrodite
She's so high
High above me

Further to lies told on screen, this is about how Vancouver is used as a location in films, but not as a setting.

• 2 months later...

This is for Marc, in case he is having trouble sleeping what with all the excitement of anticipatory world domination of the Anointed One.

You remember my friend Trudy? I went to see her at PC headquarters today , first time since I arrived, and announced I was ready to vote early and often. I do not think much of Greg Thompson frankly, and I think he did damn all for the veterans as minister, but I have to stand with Ford Madox Ford as many must do these days.  If I am forced to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I would have the guts to betray my country.

Easy for me to say. Not eligible to vote until I have been in residence for 40 days. I could have lied but --- that is the alt-right's specialty. Don't want to tread on any toes.

Which reminds me of the quote from a famous Bloomsburian aesthete in the Oscar Wilde mold, who was a passionate WW1 conchie. 

Arguing with a belligerent flag-waver who asked him what he would do if he came upon a huge German soldier trying to rape his sister, he replied in his most measured  professorial tones, "I should endeavour to get between them."

• 3 weeks later...

I hesitate to report something kind of interesting from the hinterlands of the Winterlands.

Here in NB a split down the middle between the Conservatives and Liberals has left the balance of power in the hands of the ultra right (PA)) and the Greens (self-explanatory) with 3 seats each. It will not be boring to see how the neo-traditionalists and the futurists grapple with each other and the two deadlocked opponents to keep us going into our new Irving years.,