Roy Childs

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 sjw

sjw

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,718 posts
  • Interests:Individual rights, politics, physics, epistemology.

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:33 AM

Damn, what a shame that he died before finishing that.

Shayne

#22 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,489 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:13 AM

I never met Roy Childs, but saw him in public once, at a Barbara Branden book publishing tour event for her Rand bio in NYC in 1986. He was very much over-weight, sitting in a folding chair from which he stayed in all the time, obviously because of his weight. Six years later in Liberty I read George's heartfelt goodbye to him ("So long, my friend!"[?]) There was in the life of LFBs two significant happenings: (1) The beginning. In 1972. I went to the store a week after it opened in a front just south of the NYU campus and returned several times since. It was small, young and hopeful--open and clean. (2) Whenever Roy Childs wrote a book review for its catalog, as he did month after month for years and years.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#23 RagJohn

RagJohn

$$$

• Limited to 5 posts a day
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:30 AM

What possesses brilliant people to just disregard the obvious need to also exercise the body and eat right? Rand, Childs, Einstein, and a horde of others seem to believe that their minds can carry on while they neglect/abuse their bodies. Well, surprise, surprise, when your body dies, or "just" fails to work properly, your brain dies with it,(or is grievously degraded in its ability to function properly). Rand castigated dopers, while she herself was taking speed, so she could continue to not exercise and indulge in eating lots of chocolate. Long after the 1960's revelation that smoking was very deletrious to health, Ayn continued to smoke. Beg Pardon, but the dumbest of animals instinctively "knows" not to inhale smoke! Sheesh. Ayn also castigated a man for being an adulterer, all the while indulging in adultery with Nathaniel.

Edited by RagJohn, 24 December 2010 - 08:32 AM.

#24 BaalChatzaf

BaalChatzaf

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 11,421 posts
  • Location:Currently residing in New Jersey, the Bad-a-Bing State.
  • Interests:mathematics, physics, alternative energy sources.

I am also involved in preparing recorded books for blind and dyslexic folks.

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:42 AM

What possesses brilliant people to just disregard the obvious need to also exercise the body and eat right? Rand, Childs, Einstein, and a horde of others seem to believe that their minds can carry on while they neglect/abuse their bodies. Well, surprise, surprise, when your body dies, or "just" fails to work properly, your brain dies with it,(or is grievously degraded in its ability to function properly). Rand castigated dopers, while she herself was taking speed, so she could continue to not exercise and indulge in eating lots of chocolate. Long after the 1960's revelation that smoking was very deletrious to health, Ayn continued to smoke. Beg Pardon, but the dumbest of animals instinctively "knows" not to inhale smoke! Sheesh. Ayn also castigated a man for being an adulterer, all the while indulging in adultery with Nathaniel.

Do as I say, not as I do. Where have I seen this before?

Ba'al Chatzaf

אויב מיין באָבע האט בייצים זי וואָלט זיין מיין זיידע

#25 Jeff Riggenbach

Jeff Riggenbach

$$$$$

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:literature, philosophy, history, music, film, bridge

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:53 AM

One brief addendum on the issue of payment at Liberty magazine. Bill Bradford told everyone he didn't pay for articles, and that his board would not approve any such payments to anyone. But in 2002, when I said I would offer an article on drug policy I had written to Sheldon Richman at The Freeman because I wanted to be paid for it, Bill paid me $200.00 for it. He swore me to secrecy, but since he's now dead, I can't imagine who would be damaged by my revealing the truth. If I could do this, Roy could certainly have done it.

JR

#26 RagJohn

RagJohn

$$$

• Limited to 5 posts a day
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:07 AM

Except Ayn and others never SAID it was best to not smoke, not exercise, etc. They apparently really believed that it didn't matter if they abused/neglected their bodies!

#27 Starbuckle

Starbuckle

$$$$

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:Things and stuff, etc.

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

RagBrain wrote: "Except Ayn and others never SAID it was best to not smoke, not exercise, etc. They apparently really believed that it didn't matter if they abused/neglected their bodies!"

This is just a stupid smear about Roy.

#28 Philip Coates

Philip Coates

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,560 posts
  • Interests:--Playing Sports (running, basketball, body surfing)
    --Literature and History
    --Art Museums
    --Rock 'n Roll, Classical, Country and Western
    --Epistemology
    --Travel
    --Classic Old Movies

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

I heard somewhere that Rand, when she became convinced smoking caused cancer, went cold turkey on cigarettes.

Edited by Philip Coates, 05 January 2011 - 05:37 PM.

#29 Reidy

Reidy

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, cooking, music, philosophy

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

This is in Barbara Branden's biography. What convinced her was her own diagnosis. According to the same book, the people around her urged her to make a public statement to this effect, not saying what had changed her mind if she didn't want to, but she refused.

#30 Merlin Jetton

Merlin Jetton

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:07 PM

I heard somewhere that Rand, when she became convinced smoking caused cancer, went cold turkey on cigarettes.

She quit after her doctor noticed a malignancy in one of her lungs. See chapter 31 in The Passion of Ayn Rand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users