First edition of The Fountainhead

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Stephen Boydstun

Stephen Boydstun

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Interests:Metaphysics; Theory of Concepts and Predication; Philosophy of Science and Mathematics; Philosophy of Mind; Foundations of Ethics; Physics; Mathematics; Biology; Cognitive Science

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

Rick,

In your first edition, do you find these errors?

On page 651, Peter is speaking to Katie: “I held you on my lap, you didn’t weight anything at all, and I told you I would never love anyone else.”

On page 236, “But the model was went on to Mr. Slotnick and many people said, with indignation, what Keating had felt.”

I know you said your book seems to have no errors, but verify these particular lines.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Those errors do not appear in the Signet version I received in 1966. Rodney Rawlings lists here quite a few errors that were introduced in the hardcover 25th anniversary edition (1968). I see that these errors are not present in the Signet version of the anniversary edition.

#22 calvegas

calvegas
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

Hi Stephen-

Thanks for getting me into the text of this edition. I really haven't read from my first edition copy that much, being too uptight that I'll do something careless with it...

But the answer is no; neither of those errors are present in the first edition.

On 651, it says weigh, not weight.

And on 236, it says sent, not went.

It seems the original type-setters at Bobbs-Merril were pretty good!

Do you have any more?

Thanks!

-Rick

#23 Stephen Boydstun

Stephen Boydstun

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Interests:Metaphysics; Theory of Concepts and Predication; Philosophy of Science and Mathematics; Philosophy of Mind; Foundations of Ethics; Physics; Mathematics; Biology; Cognitive Science

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:25 AM

None. The other errors that I had jotted in the margin of my notes on that reading, I could not now find, and two were not errors after all, only my incorrect reading of their sentences.

For some years now, I have used only my hardback Fountainhead and hardback Atlas (1957), as the print in the paperbacks is too small for me. These two old hardbacks were given to me when I graduated from college in 1971 by a friend who had found them in a garage sale in our college town.

#24 a_arnold

a_arnold
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:25 PM

I might have a first edition with dust jacket. Not sure. The book is cloth bound in blue with gold print, and in completely unblemished (possibly unread) condition, with no plates glued in, but a price of $12 written inside the flyleaf. The copyright page says "Copyright, 1943, The Bobbs-Merrill Company" and lists no additional printings (which later printings usually do). But it doesn't say "First Edition" and the cover is not red. The dust jacket has been repaired with tape and is missing about 1.5 inches of spine, and has an advertising sticker on it for the Warner Bros. movie starring Gary Cooper.

I'd be happy to sell, as I have everything she wrote in other editions, and my real interest is in the content. I live in Florida.

Tony Arnold
anthonyarnold5170@att.net

Edited by a_arnold, 12 September 2011 - 09:39 PM.

#25 smaturin

smaturin
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

I believe that in the "book dealer" business, the "true" first edition has the following key points:

1. (and this is the big one) the dust jacket has a listing of other Bobbs Merrill books on the back cover and no picture of Rand.
2. It states it is a "first edition" on the copyright page
3. The covers are reddish burgandy
4. The top edge of the pages (looking at the top of the closed book) are stained a dark red
5. The side edge of the pages (looking at the long side of the closed book) are rough cut or lightly torn in appearance rather than a smooth edge

The real key is the dust jacket.

#26 sandfisher

sandfisher
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

Hi,

Just joined this site after searching for information on a first eition of The Fountainhead after I bought a copy today from a resale shop.

It seems to fit the the profile (maybe) of a first eition in the green cover

1. Green cover

2. 1943

3. First page blank, second says :The Fountainhead", third page says, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand  The Blakiston Company   Philadelphia,

back of that page :copyright, 1943,the bobbs_merrill company  manufactured in the United States,

next page says "To Frank O'Conner,

next page has a couple paragraphs and signed Ayn Rand March 10,1943

Then the contents page

4. does not say first eition

5. does have all the errors that I read about

Is this a first edition in the green cover?

Appreciate any comments an enjoyed the information that I have found so far.

Thank,you,

sandfisher

#27 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 14,321 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

Hi,

Just joined this site after searching for information on a first eition of The Fountainhead after I bought a copy today from a resale shop.

It seems to fit the the profile (maybe) of a first eition in the green cover

1. Green cover

2. 1943

3. First page blank, second says :The Fountainhead", third page says, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand  The Blakiston Company   Philadelphia,

back of that page :copyright, 1943,the bobbs_merrill company  manufactured in the United States,

next page says "To Frank O'Conner,

next page has a couple paragraphs and signed Ayn Rand March 10,1943

Then the contents page

4. does not say first eition

5. does have all the errors that I read about

Is this a first edition in the green cover?

Appreciate any comments an enjoyed the information that I have found so far.

Thank,you,

sandfisher

Due to WWII paper rationing it appears this was a subsidiary printing by a company that had extra paper and not a true first edition. My answer is tentative. Bobbs-Merrill was the primary publisher. A cover will tend to up the value. Search The Fountainhead on eBay. Listings of Rand items has exponentially multiplied in the last few years. I think prices have come down as people need money they are selling everything they can. Your book may be rare and valuable, but Blakiston may make it that way; I've never before heard of them. I'd guess that Bobbs purchased the paper rights and stuck on the other name for legal reasons and ran off the additional printing. For sure the plates weren't shipped around publisher to publisher, plant to plant.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--Libertarian--objectivist Objectivist, not an Objectivist Objectivist

#28 sandfisher

sandfisher
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

Researched The Blakiston Co. and not alot of information but did find that it is listed as an imprint of

Doubleday publishers and sold to McGraw-Hill in 1947. So it seems that it is there, like you said, because of

one of the printing runs.

I love conversations like this. It's like finding random pieces of a puzzle an completing the picture.

Thank you for your help,

sanfisher

#29 marc

marc

$$

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

I saw this from last years ARI auction in Chicago:

The following items will be auctioned at the Atlas Shrugged Revolution on May 3, 2012. Click on the images to enlarge.

The Fountainhead

True first edition, first state (red covers), with “First Edition” printed on the copyright page. In original first-state dust jacket (which has listings for other books on the back panel), and which is in exceptional condition. The rear panel of the dust jacket has an almost unnoticeable closed tear that has been expertly repaired. Rare in this condition. The owner of the book will donate 80 percent of the auction proceeds to the Institute.

Opening Bid: $7,000 
Winning Bid: $13,000

t__dscn0017.jpgt__dscn0018.jpgt__dscn0019.jpgt__dscn0021.jpgt__dscn0022.jpgt__dscn0383.jpg

#30 marc

marc

$$

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

And this years auction in Chicago which is on Thursday :

The following items will be auctioned at the Atlas Shrugged Revolution dinner on May 9, 2013. Click on the images to enlarge.

The Fountainhead

True first edition, first state (red covers), with “First Edition” printed on the copyright page. In original first-state dust jacket (which has listings for other books on the back panel), and which is in exceptional condition. The rear panel of the dust jacket has an almost unnoticeable closed tear that has been expertly repaired. Rare in this condition.

t__dscn0017.jpgt__dscn0018.jpgt__dscn0019.jpgt__dscn0021.jpgt__dscn0022.jpgt__dscn0383.jpg

#31 marc

marc

$$

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

And this years auction in Chicago which is on Thursday :

The following items will be auctioned at the Atlas Shrugged Revolution dinner on May 9, 2013. Click on the images to enlarge.

The Fountainhead

True first edition, first state (red covers), with “First Edition” printed on the copyright page. In original first-state dust jacket (which has listings for other books on the back panel), and which is in exceptional condition. The rear panel of the dust jacket has an almost unnoticeable closed tear that has been expertly repaired. Rare in this condition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Nightingale-Conant