Atlas Shrugged article in WSJ that mentions Atlas Society

Chris Grieb

Just as Objectivism's brand of atheism is a form of atheism...

Does objectivism formally state that there is no god? I would assume that most objectivists would in fact be atheists but I was not aware that it had a particular "brand". In fact, doesn't 'atheism' simply mean you don't believe in any kind of god? How many 'brands' of that can there be?

Missed this. Atheism is just atheism. There is no "Objectivist brand." I don't even think it's part of the philosophy, actually, unless denying the moon is made of green cheese is part of the philosophy. There is the philosophy and philosophical consequences, atheism being one here. You can state that they are both one. It is quite arguable for. I don't because you likely end up with doctrine. The point can be made that atheism illustrates Objectivism's commitment to reason and is therefore important to Objectivism and therefore should be part of it and in that way it is an "Objectivist brand."

--Brant

Sorry for using the term "brand" in regard to Objectivism's discussion of and position on atheism. It seems to have triggered an intellectual immune response in some of the readers.

I merely distinguish between those atheists -- and atheisms -- that pursue an actively hostile agenda toward religion, as compared to those who give religion as little thought and concern as is possible.

The former are often known as Militant Atheists. Some Objectivists fit in this category. The latter I like to call "Missouri Atheists." We simply say, "show me (your God)." And "if you can't, then don't bug me about Him." The Militants are often concerned with getting "In God We Trust" off the money and ending the prayer in sessions of Congress, etc. Me? I could care less about that stuff. I am to the burning concerns of Militant Atheists as Roark was to Ellsworth Toohey. Don't think about it. Nope. (Though I am aggravated to hear so much time taken up on tv programs yammering about it.)

I think Objectivism, in its best mood and spirit, is Missouri Atheist. Easy-going, empirical-minded, minding its own business, identifying truth and creating and producing things of value -- and being a good example for others, including especially their children. Not scowling and hollering at religious folks.

But I must admit that there is no ~one~ brand of atheism that is characteristic of Objectivists. They fall into both camps. (Oops, hope I haven't triggered another reaction by using the word "camp.")

REB

Here's the notice we emailed out and posted on our website about the Wall Street Journal article with links to other TAS pieces.

Best regards,

Ed Hudgins

---------

Kelley Quoted in Wall Street Journal Article on Atlas Shrugged

David Kelley, The Atlas Society founder and chairman, was quoted in a January 9, 2009 Wall Street Journal article entitled "'Atlas Shrugged': From Fiction to Fact in 52 Years."

In that piece, senior economics writer Stephen Moore reviewed the parallels between the events in Ayn Rand's path breaking novel and in the world in which we now live. In the pages of Rand's fiction and in corridors of power in Washington today we see politicians crippling and punishing productive entrepreneurs in the name of stamping out "greed", restricting economic freedom in the name of preventing destructive "dog-eat-dog" competition, and subsidizing failed enterprises with taxpayer dollars in the name of protecting essential industries.

Moore has a long public policy background. He worked--and was a colleague of The Atlas Society's Edward Hudgins!--at the Heritage Foundation, the Joint Economic Committee of the U.S. Congress, and the Cato Institute. He also headed up the Club for Growth.

In Steve's WSJ piece, Kelley explains that "the older the book gets, the more timely its message." Concerning the planned cinematic treatment of Atlas, Kelley joked that "We don't need to make a movie out of the book" because "we are living it right now."

You can read Moore's entire article in the print version of the Wall Street Journal on page W-11, or on the paper's website.

Also of interest, on October 10, 2007 the Wall Street Journal carried Kelley's commentary on "Capitalist Heroes" to mark the 50th anniversary of the publication of Atlas. That piece also appeared in The Moscow Times, bringing Rand's message to English-reading Russians.

Another piece on the novel's relevance was Ed Hudgins's op-ed on "Atlas Shrugged at 50," published in the Washington Times on October 11, 2007.

Hudgins also penned a piece for the October, 2007 issue of The New Individualist on "Atlas Shrugged as Prophecy."

And very relevant today is the 2005 discussion that Hudgins co-authored with Fred Smith, president of the Competitive Enterprise Institute, on "Ayn Rand at 100: When Will Businessmen Learn Her Lessons About Politicians?"

And on atheism issues, check out my collection, An Objectivist Secular Reader, which is discussed in a thread on OL.

In the introduction I observe that these folks are with us on objective reality (rejecting post-modernism), the importance of critical thinking and science, and of individual social liberty. But in the past they've lacked a morality based on individual, rational self-interest and the resulting political philosophy of capitalism. But these folks are now asking serious questions about the rational basis of ethics.

I maintain that there is a potential for Objectivists to show the new secularists/atheists/skeptics how Objectivism provides the answers they're seeking.

By the way, I discussed this issue in detail at my State of the Culture talk on "The New Atheism and Objectivist Opportunities" at the 2008 Summer Seminar. It's available in CD and the DVD is available as well, though not posted on the store site yet (coming very soon, we hope!).

Today's Wall Street Journal (Jan 9th) has an article by Stephen Moore on Atlas Shrugged. The article is very good. It is very good reading. The article has a great quote from David Kelley about Atlas not being made into a movie.

I must add that is an excellent response to some on OL (you know who you are)who have been predicting and hoping for the end of the Atlas Society.

Moi? I just stopped caring about it Chris; it made me so mad over a year ago I wanted to spit. I know you're the number 1 defender and champion of TAS on OL.

--Brant

Roger: "I am to the burning concerns of Militant Atheists as Roark was to Ellsworth Toohey. Don't think about it. Nope. (Though I am aggravated to hear so much time taken up on tv programs yammering about it.)"

I am not on the barricades fighting for atheism; as James Kilbourne once said, "I am an atheist, but I'm not religious about it." But it is an important issue because reason is an important issue, and any belief in the supernatural is anti-reason. And I'm rather glad to see the television discussions by intelligent atheists; too much of the American public has viewed atheists rather as they used to view anarchists: as creepy creatures of the night who skulked about clutching bombs under their arms. The new generation of articulate, non-rabid atheists has gone far to alter that picture.

Barbara

Today's Wall Street Journal (Jan 9th) has an article by Stephen Moore on Atlas Shrugged. The article is very good. It is very good reading. The article has a great quote from David Kelley about Atlas not being made into a movie.

I must add that is an excellent response to some on OL (you know who you are)who have been predicting and hoping for the end of the Atlas Society.

Moi? I just stopped caring about it Chris; it made me so mad over a year ago I wanted to spit. I know you're the number 1 defender and champion of TAS on OL.

--Brant

Brant; I guess if the shoe fits wear it but for the record I was not thinking of you.