• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

#161 Michael Stuart Kelly

Michael Stuart Kelly

$$$$$$

• Root Admin
  • 20,047 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

This vulgar man called me a 'mad bitch' and all sorts simply because he disagreed with my correct prediction on the DOW. He is the most gratuitously insulting individual I have ever come across on the internet.

His ugly words match his face.

Ruth,

Heh.

Here's a thought experiment for you. Put yourself in Barbara Branden's shoes and reread your own words, but think about another target and add about 200 different cuss words to "mad bitch."

:)

I believe Barbara is far too forgiving of the vulgar "gratuitously insulting" Objectivist Liar Lindsay Perigo.

Michael

Know thyself...

#162 Michael Stuart Kelly

Michael Stuart Kelly

$$$$$$

• Root Admin
  • 20,047 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

For the record, Wikipedia's editors decided not to remove the article on Perigo. But they are contesting unsourced extravagant claims.

I believe this is historically proper irrespective of his bad character.

Michael

Know thyself...

#163 Neil Parille

Neil Parille

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:History Philosophy Theology Literature

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

Mr. Perigo recently accused John Paul II, Benedict XVI and Kant (!) of being pedophiles.

http://www.solopassi...9#comment-71794

-Neil Parille

#164 Robert Campbell

Robert Campbell

$$$$$$

• VIP
  • 3,582 posts
  • Interests:psychological theory, self-esteem, classical music, jazz, blues, music history

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:18 PM

And Mr. Perigo's, er, thought process is curious, to the say the least.

http://www.solopassi...9#comment-71840

Folk become priests in the first place because they want to kiddy-fiddle. Renouncing marriage is not a problem for them. They get a job where there are kids galore. Kids who trust them because of their status. It's the Church of Pedophilia.

Even if we were to credit this explanation, Immanuel Kant wasn't Catholic and didn't become a priest.

Robert Campbell

#165 Selene

Selene

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,363 posts
  • Interests:Chess, birding, football, baseball, minimalist backpacking, argumentation and debate, politics and philosophy, strategic board gaming, history, Rand, poetry, writing.

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

Mr. Perigo recently accused John Paul II, Benedict XVI and Kant (!) of being pedophiles.

-Neil Parille

Folks:

Is there an internet shower that I can step into whenever you guys provide a link to that forum??

"...pedophilia is lesser evil..." Lindsay

than being an altruistic pedagogue!

OK - are there special glasses you need to wear to get the secret messages in this morass of mediocrity and their banal bullshit?

Adam

Edited by Selene, 31 May 2009 - 02:30 PM.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice..and moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

#166 Michael Stuart Kelly

Michael Stuart Kelly

$$$$$$

• Root Admin
  • 20,047 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

Adam,

Objectivist Liar Lindsay Perigo's greatest political achievement in life was maliciously and falsely scapegoating Jim Peron as a pedophile to the extent that Peron lost his NZ visa. (I examined this up close and have no restrictions in saying that.)

Now that Objectivist Liar Lindsay Perigo has been publicly discredited with the "B. Branden" fiasco, he is trying to get mileage out of Peron once more. That's all this is.

Michael

Know thyself...

#167 Selene

Selene

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,363 posts
  • Interests:Chess, birding, football, baseball, minimalist backpacking, argumentation and debate, politics and philosophy, strategic board gaming, history, Rand, poetry, writing.

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

Thanks.

I remember reading your synopsis a while ago.

I just cannot imagine having no life that continually carrying past luggage around forever seems a completely meaningless waste of time and energy.

Plus he does not write well at all.

Adam
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice..and moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

#168 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 14,959 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:29 PM

This vulgar man called me a 'mad bitch' and all sorts simply because he disagreed with my correct prediction on the DOW. He is the most gratuitously insulting individual I have ever come across on the internet.

His ugly words match his face.

Ruth,

Heh.

Here's a thought experiment for you. Put yourself in Barbara Branden's shoes and reread your own words, but think about another target and add about 200 different cuss words to "mad bitch."

:)

I believe Barbara is far too forgiving of the vulgar "gratuitously insulting" Objectivist Liar Lindsay Perigo.

Michael

Not forgiving at all. I've not read anything in these past few years where she forgave him for anything. Quite the contrary, unless you'd count not suing the pants off him.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#169 Michelle R

Michelle R

$$$$$

• Members
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:I don't like long walks on the beach. I hate sunny days. Picnics are overrated.<br />I do, however, enjoy a good discussion. And a good book as well.

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:36 PM

-Neil Parille

This guy actually makes more outrageous comments about Kant than Ayn Rand did.
I didn't know that was actually possible...
"After sleeping through a hundred million centuries we have finally opened our eyes on a sumptuous planet, sparkling with colour, bountiful with life. Within decades we must close our eyes again. Isn't it a noble, an enlightened way of spending our brief time in the sun, to work at understanding the universe and how we have come to wake up in it? This is how I answer when I am asked -- as I am surprisingly often -- why I bother to get up in the mornings. To put it the other way round, isn't it sad to go to your grave without ever wondering why you were born? Who, with such a thought, would not spring from bed, eager to resume discovering the world and rejoicing to be a part of it?"
-- Richard Dawkins

#170 Michael Stuart Kelly

Michael Stuart Kelly

$$$$$$

• Root Admin
  • 20,047 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:10 PM

Michelle,

You ain't seen nothing. You need to see some things to believe them. There was one thread on SLOP a while back entitled, "Muslims are Goat-Fuckers." This is just one example of gross vulgarity and bigotry out of many.

To be fair, the thread actually flip-flopped between discussing free expression and slightly veiled bigotry (but only slightly).

But they knew what kind of impact a headline makes on casual readers.

This kind of crap is called "rational passion" and presented in the name of Ayn Rand.

I kid you not.

Michael

Know thyself...

#171 Chris Grieb

Chris Grieb

Mr.

• Members
  • 4,327 posts
  • Interests:History of Objectivism, American & World history, movies

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:47 AM

Michael; I was tempted to send the message to you. "Michael, on the Perigo question Could you tell me what you really think." As for me I am convinced Perigo is a s. I don't need any more evidence. Is there a good hit man available.

#172 Michael Stuart Kelly

Michael Stuart Kelly

$$$$$$

• Root Admin
  • 20,047 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:04 AM

As to the IP issue, I have been advised that Leonard Peikoff lives in Riverside, CA.

So whoever sent that email to Robert, it is a very strong probability that it was not Peikoff.

Michael

Know thyself...

#173 Michael Stuart Kelly

Michael Stuart Kelly

$$$$$$

• Root Admin
  • 20,047 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:05 AM

As to the IP issue, I have been advised that Leonard Peikoff lives in Riverside, CA.

So, if this is the case, it is a very strong probability that whoever sent that email to Robert was not Peikoff.

Michael

Know thyself...

#174 Robert Campbell

Robert Campbell

$$$$$$

• VIP
  • 3,582 posts
  • Interests:psychological theory, self-esteem, classical music, jazz, blues, music history

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:47 AM

So whoever sent that email to Robert, it is a very strong probability that it was not Peikoff.

Michael

Meanwhile, I have not heard back from anyone at peikoff.com.

If I do not get some kind of response soon, I will treat the email as a hoax.

Robert Campbell

#175 Ted Keer

Ted Keer

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

Michael

Meanwhile, I have not heard back from anyone at peikoff.com.

If I do not get some kind of response soon, I will treat the email as a hoax.

Robert Campbell

The lack of response could just as well be due to reeconsideration of the wisdom of contacting you. If you do think it is a hoax, would you then be opposed to publishing the contents?

Confession is always weakness. The grave soul keeps its own secrets, and takes its own punishment in silence.

#176 Robert Campbell

Robert Campbell

$$$$$$

• VIP
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:09 PM

Ted K,

If I decide the email is a hoax, I will post the whole thing here.

Robert C

#177 Robert Campbell

Robert Campbell

$$$$$$

• VIP
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:54 AM

I still haven't heard back, either from the email address of the alleged sender, or from leonard@peikoff.com.

I am therefore assuming that the email is bogus, so the sender, whoever he or she actually is, has no right to confidentiality.

Robert Campbell

X-Sieve: CMU Sieve 2.2
X-pair-Authenticated: 75.71.203.159
To: <jwales At wikia DoT com>
Cc: <campber At CLEMSON DoT EDU>
Subject: Wikipedia removing references to "The Passion of Ayn Rand's Critics"
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 16:13:36 -0600
Thread-Index: AcngqrZXUzffHRDlRESzG5cXwAMqDw==
X-Proofpoint-Virus-Version: vendor=fsecure engine=1.12.7400:2.4.4,1.2.40,4.0.166 definitions=2009-05-29_10:2009-05-27,2009-05-29,2009-05-29 signatures=0
X-Proofpoint-Spam-Details: rule=notspam policy=default score=0 spamscore=0 ipscore=0 phishscore=0 bulkscore=0 adultscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx engine=5.0.0-0811170000 definitions=main-0905290178

Dear Mr. Wales,

I learned recently to my astonishment that while books by Nathaniel and Barbara Branden, attacking Ayn Rand and her personal life, enjoy the status of reputable references in Wikipedia, a book disputing their claims and presenting the opposite viewpoint has been removed from your list as non-reputable. I refer to The Passion of Ayn Randís Critics by James Valliant published in May 2005. On its face, this is a policy of egregious injustice on your part.

As Ayn Randís executor, heir, and longtime personal friend, I will testify in any forum to the accuracy of Mr. Valliantís book. I do not pretend to know every detail of the clash between Rand and the Brandens, but I do know firsthand the essential truth of the Valliant book. I leave aside here my own personal observations and discussions on this issue with Rand, because the book itself contains lengthy excerpts from her own personal notes, which completely bear out Valliantís thesis in her own words. I released these notes only after a 20 year wait, because in Valliant I found at last a writer who would give her personal viewpoint a rational hearing, neither hostile nor worshipful.

My understanding, which may not be correct, is that one of the instigators of your new policy is Barbara Branden, one of the two persons identified in the Valliant book, with substantial corroborating evidence, as hostile to Ayn Rand. Surely such an individual and her claque have a transparent motive to kill this book. Can you justify removing one side of this dispute, the one endorsed by someone with my credentials? Do you describe as ďreputableĒ only enemies of Ayn Rand?

There are those in the academic world who question the objectivity of Wikipedia. I hope that your action on this matter will prove that they are wrong.

Sincerely yours,

Leonard Peikoff
Executor, Estate of Ayn Rand

Edited June 4 to disable email addresses.

#178 Michael Stuart Kelly

Michael Stuart Kelly

$$$$$$

• Root Admin
  • 20,047 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:13 AM

Robert,

There is a real warning sign with the email name: usrbsbv0i.

That kind of hash is usually used by hackers, phishers, etc.

Yup.

All the Valliant supporters have left is fraud, fraud and more fraud to try to get PARC taken seriously.

Michael

Know thyself...

#179 Robert Campbell

Robert Campbell

$$$$$$

• VIP
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:29 AM

Michael,

The rhetoric is Peikovian, but there are a couple of stretches that don't sound right to me:

"I will testify in any forum to the accuracy of Mr. Valliantís book"

Really? Up to now, Dr. Peikoff has done nothing of the sort. Does he now want to answer questions about the book, or respond to criticisms of it?

"I found at last a writer who would give her personal viewpoint a rational hearing, neither hostile nor worshipful"

Would Dr. Peikoff say "worshipful" in this context?

And is he in the habit of referring to "the Brandens"?

Of course, if either Mr. Valliant or one of his few remaining allies is behind this, how do they expect Leonard Peikoff not to find about it?

Robert Campbell

#180 Rich Engle

Rich Engle

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 2,863 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Religion, Psychology, Chess, Music, Spirituality.

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

It gots stank on its hang-low.

On the other hand, points and a gold sticker for the swanky use of the word "claque," where lesser men would use "clique." But that could be a typo.

Edited by Rich Engle, 02 June 2009 - 11:48 AM.

Visit My Blog!

beyondevenbatcountry.blogspot.com

"There is no way that writers can be tamed and rendered civilized or even cured. the only solution known to science is to provide the patient with an isolation room, where he can endure the acute stages in private and where food can be poked in to him with a stick." -- Robert A. Heinlein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users