66 replies to this topic

#1 Inky

Inky

$$

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:46 AM

I'm still alive!

Okay, role call, how many teenagers are on this forum? Just to get an idea. Perhaps we could start discussing ideas from a teenage point of view, or how school life affects us while trying to live rationally and the like.

I'm Tina, or Inky, whichever you prefer, and I'm sixteen. Now it's your turn.
There was a power outage at a department store yesterday. Twenty people were trapped on the escalators. -- Steven Wright

My roommate got a pet elephant. Then it got lost. It's in the apartment somewhere. -- Steven Wright

#2 Jeff Kremer

Jeff Kremer

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 871 posts
  • Interests:Politics, baseball, football, girls, kid stuff.

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:35 PM

Jeff, 16, Oregon. Became an objectivist while reading Atlas Shrugged in 8th grade.
The belief in the morality of altruism is the belief that you should use tires without treads on a rainy day so that you don't cause a crash by kicking water into another driver's windshield; you'll definitely crash, but you may have saved someone else. Government enforced altruism is just forcing the treads off everyone's tires. This will ensure that everyone will crash, but at least they will be helping others while they do it.

#3 Kori

Kori

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:25 PM

Yeah! Who's the oldest? :devil: I'm Kori, 17. I'm guessing it's just the three of us.
"But if you do that you'll be missin' the world, because it doesn't stop turnin' whatever you heard."

#4 Jeff Kremer

Jeff Kremer

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:52 PM

I'm the youngest. I'm about five months younger than Inky I believe. I choose to take pride in that though.

Edited by Danneskjold, 05 November 2006 - 05:15 PM.

The belief in the morality of altruism is the belief that you should use tires without treads on a rainy day so that you don't cause a crash by kicking water into another driver's windshield; you'll definitely crash, but you may have saved someone else. Government enforced altruism is just forcing the treads off everyone's tires. This will ensure that everyone will crash, but at least they will be helping others while they do it.

#5 Victor Pross

Victor Pross

busted for plagiary

• Banned
  • 2,261 posts
  • Interests:philosophy/reading/movies

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:21 PM

Oh, my god...did I walk into the wrong thread or what! :shocked:
NOTE FROM ADMINISTRATOR: This poster was banned for repeated plagiary. Because of the sheer volume of his posts, the present one may contain plagiarism that is unknown to us. Please report any plagiarized text you find so we can edit the post.

#6 Jeff Kremer

Jeff Kremer

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:13 PM

apparently

#7 Kori

Kori

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:16 PM

LOL, Victor. You can still be a teenager.

Dannesjkold, I suppose I would take pride in young age, but the older I get, the closer I get to moving away from home (and that's just straight exciting).
"But if you do that you'll be missin' the world, because it doesn't stop turnin' whatever you heard."

#8 Inky

Inky

$$

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:24 PM

Dannesjkold, I suppose I would take pride in young age, but the older I get, the closer I get to moving away from home (and that's just straight exciting).

Heh, no comment here, my mother's wandering around :whistle:

And if any of you guys happen to have friends who are interested in Objectivism or are Objectivists themselves, please do invite them. Sometimes it seems like this joint needs more of a teenage perspective on things.
There was a power outage at a department store yesterday. Twenty people were trapped on the escalators. -- Steven Wright

My roommate got a pet elephant. Then it got lost. It's in the apartment somewhere. -- Steven Wright

#9 Jeff Kremer

Jeff Kremer

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:20 PM

I have trouble finding objectivist friends. The kids at my school are predominantly people who have never earned, and therefore don't know the value of, a dollar. As a result they are more than willing to give everyone's money to somone else in the interest of the collective.

#10 Chris Grieb

Chris Grieb

Mr.

• Members
  • 4,327 posts
  • Interests:History of Objectivism, American & World history, movies

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:14 AM

Danneskold; You will find that adults do that too. I like your posts kid. Keep up the good work. Thanks

#11 Kori

Kori

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:07 PM

Heh, no comment here, my mother's wandering around :whistle:

And if any of you guys happen to have friends who are interested in Objectivism or are Objectivists themselves, please do invite them. Sometimes it seems like this joint needs more of a teenage perspective on things.

LOL. Nobody here said anything. *eyes around suspiciously* :baby:

I have trouble finding objectivist friends. The kids at my school are predominantly people who have never earned, and therefore don't know the value of, a dollar. As a result they are more than willing to give everyone's money to somone else in the interest of the collective.

I hear you. NOBODY I know is interested in Objectivism or Ayn Rand. Most people think I'm an asshole.

#12 Inky

Inky

$$

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:47 PM

Hm, I know what you mean. I know an "Objectivist" or two, but it seems that they're mostly using it as an excuse to be total douchebags. I've tried flinging Atlas Shrugged in a few people's faces, but I suppose the 1,000+ pages can be a bit intimidating...I'll find a good convert and drag them here soon enough.

#13 Jeff Kremer

Jeff Kremer

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:40 PM

I'm currently working on a convert. The kids a republican, most of the right ideas. Doesn't put enough limits on the state government in my opinion. Smart kid really, he just needs a few nudges in the right direction. With any luck you'll see him here soon.

#14 Kori

Kori

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:03 PM

I'm currently working on a convert. The kids a republican, most of the right ideas. Doesn't put enough limits on the state government in my opinion. Smart kid really, he just needs a few nudges in the right direction. With any luck you'll see him here soon.

What is this, a religion?

#15 Jeff Kremer

Jeff Kremer

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:57 AM

I don't think the term "convert" is specific to religion. To convert someone is to change their beliefs. Who cares if it's in regard to religion or philosophy?

#16 Kori

Kori

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:07 PM

I do. :devil:

#17 Jeff Kremer

Jeff Kremer

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:11 AM

I see this really hasn't gotten much off the ground since I took my break. Dissapointing. I've been quite busy lately due to several things amongst which are football practice, girlfriend, and an obscene amount of homework. So, here's what I was thinking. For one, you're never going to get a lot of traffic in this place. Let's face it, average teenager cares about as much about epistemology, metaphysics, etc. as a chimp. If teenagers were a species they could single-handedly disprove evolution because the vast majority are slightly lower than apes in cognitive abilities anyways and since things can't regress as they evolve it would throw off the theory. The second thing is that we need to make this place worth coming to for the rest of the teenagers. Start topics about common interests, for that matter, just start topics. Supply creates its own demand. Right now there's not much of either.

#18 Chris Grieb

Chris Grieb

Mr.

• Members
  • 4,327 posts
  • Interests:History of Objectivism, American & World history, movies

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:32 PM

Danneskojld; Most adults are not that interested in the issues of philosphy. Hold to your ideas, act rationally, don't withhold your judgement, be a model. You may influence more people than you know. As Ayn Rand said "Good premises". What position do you play in football?

#19 Kori

Kori

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:40 PM

I couldn't agree more, Danneskjold. You're the first even slightly intelligent football player I've met.

#20 Jeff Kremer

Jeff Kremer

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:23 PM

I play noseguard on defense and fullback on offense. For those of you who don't know:

________________x
________________X
________________x
x____________xxxxxx ___________x
o____________o_ O_ o___________o
____________o_______o
_____________o__o__o

________________o

I play the positions represented by the capitol letters. (x=offense o=defense) on offense I block and on defense I create big piles and tackle. I guess I'm supposed to be the dumb meat.

I'm a catcher in baseball, that's my best sport.

Edit: Aww man that messed with my diagram. O well.

Edited by Danneskjold, 22 November 2006 - 10:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users