Teenagers, please sign in.

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Jeff Kremer

Jeff Kremer

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 871 posts
  • Interests:Politics, baseball, football, girls, kid stuff.

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:30 PM

I've got my friend reading Atlas Shrugged. With any luck we'll have another person in here soon.
The belief in the morality of altruism is the belief that you should use tires without treads on a rainy day so that you don't cause a crash by kicking water into another driver's windshield; you'll definitely crash, but you may have saved someone else. Government enforced altruism is just forcing the treads off everyone's tires. This will ensure that everyone will crash, but at least they will be helping others while they do it.

#22 Chris Grieb

Chris Grieb

Mr.

• Members
  • 4,327 posts
  • Interests:History of Objectivism, American & World history, movies

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:21 PM

You should be relying on their mind and premises. Luck will have nothing to do with it.

#23 Jeff Kremer

Jeff Kremer

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:25 PM

Luck will put her in a favorable mood and with a favorable mood comes a better likelihood for a positive outlook on the ideas in the book. Luck, in the form of situations, has a little bit to do with everything. The way the ball bounces in baseball, if it hits a rock and bounces left, or flat dirt and bounces right. We call it luck. In that sense there's a little bit of luck in everything even if it's not truly luck.

Wow, it's official, I will defend anything I say whether it's necessary or not for the sake of defending it. But hey it's fun.

Edited by Danneskjold, 02 December 2006 - 08:29 PM.

The belief in the morality of altruism is the belief that you should use tires without treads on a rainy day so that you don't cause a crash by kicking water into another driver's windshield; you'll definitely crash, but you may have saved someone else. Government enforced altruism is just forcing the treads off everyone's tires. This will ensure that everyone will crash, but at least they will be helping others while they do it.

#24 Chris Grieb

Chris Grieb

Mr.

• Members
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:04 AM

The law of idenity still rules! What you described is the law of idenity. But Good Luck anyway. Who won the football game?

#25 Jeff Kremer

Jeff Kremer

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:11 AM

No clue what said law is. Explain?

Football took a turn for the worse. I'll go over it in the thread I've got in the making for the Psychology section.

#26 Chris Grieb

Chris Grieb

Mr.

• Members
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:27 AM

Law of Idenity is A is A. Sorry about football game. It is quoted in the last chapter of Atlas when your name-sake is getting ready to teach philosphy.

#27 Jeff Kremer

Jeff Kremer

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:57 PM

A=A? Wow, how could I miss that one. Well, I guess due to my geometry class I now know it as the reflexive property.

#28 Chris Grieb

Chris Grieb

Mr.

• Members
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:29 AM

No wonder you're considered weird. You're listening in class.

#29 Jeff Kremer

Jeff Kremer

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:23 PM

Ya, that and I write five page essays on the psychology of my football team and contribute on two forums (this and my history forum).

#30 Achaya

Achaya
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:24 AM

Achaya (carly), 15, Oregon.

Getting a crash course in objectivism from Jeff.
Fall in love...or fall in hate. Get inspired or get depressed. Ace a test or flunk a class. Make babies or make art. Speak the truth or lie and cheat. Dance on tables or sit in the corner. Life is divine chaos. Embrace it. Forgive yourself. Breathe. Enjoy the ride.

"People just think we're getting down in the next room...really, it's an Epic Battle To The Death."
--James & myself

#31 Victor Pross

Victor Pross

busted for plagiary

• Banned
  • 2,261 posts
  • Interests:philosophy/reading/movies

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:57 AM

Achaya (carly), 15, Oregon.

Getting a crash course in objectivism from Jeff.

Welcome Achaya! So your new to Objectivism? Well, I remember my first time. LOL. Anyway, I don't know what you know or have read, but here are a few Objectivist Highlights. Ayn Rand created a philosophical system in the 20th century that blazes a path into the future. Here are just a few - and just a few - high points.

Ayn Rand's philosophical system has five parts:

1. Where do you start? Reality
2. How do you know anything? Valid Knowledge
3. How do you make the right choices in life? Ethics
4. How do you know what kind of social system is best? Capitalism
5. what good is art to you? What is art?

If you have not read Ayn Rand, but are curious to know more about her art and philosophy, it is suggested to first read her fiction. Namely, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. [My fave is The Fountainhead].

If non-fiction is your thing, it is suggested that you read “The Virtue of Selfishness”---especially the opening essay ‘The Objectivist ethics’ and “Man’s rights.” From there you can move on to ‘Philosophy: who needs it.’ The answer is: YOU DO.

For a presentation of Ayn Rand’s groundbreaking theory of concepts, with emphasis on the relationship of abstractions to concretes, her “Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology is a must read.

If politics is of interest, there is “Capitalism: The Unknown Idea.” This excellent book includes “What is capitalism?” and “The anatomy of Compromise.”

Leonard Peikoff’s “Objectivism: The philosophy of Ayn Rand” is a complete and through presentation of the Objectivist philosophy --although you will find many critics here regarding this last work.

At a sales conference preceding the publication of Atlas Shrugged, one of the salesmen asked Miss Rand whether she could present the essence of philosophy while standing on one foot. She did:

1. Metaphysics: Objective reality.
2. Epistemology: Reason
3. Ethics: Self-interest
4. Politics: Capitalism

:cool:

Talk to ya!

Victor

Edited by Victor Pross, 13 January 2007 - 06:02 AM.

NOTE FROM ADMINISTRATOR: This poster was banned for repeated plagiary. Because of the sheer volume of his posts, the present one may contain plagiarism that is unknown to us. Please report any plagiarized text you find so we can edit the post.

#32 Jeff Kremer

Jeff Kremer

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:35 AM

I think Inky packed up and moved out of her room.

#33 Inky

Inky

$$

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:11 AM

I think Inky packed up and moved out of her room.

Nnnoooo, never! :tongue:
There was a power outage at a department store yesterday. Twenty people were trapped on the escalators. -- Steven Wright

My roommate got a pet elephant. Then it got lost. It's in the apartment somewhere. -- Steven Wright

#34 Jehni

Jehni
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:14 PM

My name is Jehni. I live in Missouri. I really shouldn't be here because I'm 20... But less than 6 months ago I was 19 so I still think of myself as a teen! :shifty:

#35 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,506 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:56 PM

My name is Jehni. I live in Missouri. I really shouldn't be here because I'm 20... But less than 6 months ago I was 19 so I still think of myself as a teen! :shifty:

Jehni, we need you with the grownups! You know the place--where we tear each other to pieces! :cry:

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#36 Chris Grieb

Chris Grieb

Mr.

• Members
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:43 AM

Jehni; I want you to post a lot. Why do you ask? Because we will get to see your picture. WOW! WOW! WOW! Thank you. Chris

#37 Jehni

Jehni
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:08 PM

Jehni; I want you to post a lot. Why do you ask? Because we will get to see your picture. WOW! WOW! WOW! Thank you. Chris

Thank you, Chris. :)

You're so sweet! :heart:

#38 Michael Stuart Kelly

Michael Stuart Kelly

$$$$$$

• Root Admin
  • 20,363 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:23 AM

Jehni,

I haven't welcomed you to OL yet. Let me make it a warm one.

You are a sparkling pretty presence. It is a pleasure to have you aboard.

Michael

Know thyself...

#39 Chris Grieb

Chris Grieb

Mr.

• Members
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:19 AM

Jenhi; Thanks for your reply.

#40 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,506 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:50 AM

deleted by BG

Edited by Brant Gaede, 31 October 2007 - 10:39 AM.

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users