Hugo Chavez is dead

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BaalChatzaf

BaalChatzaf

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 11,368 posts
  • Location:Currently residing in New Jersey, the Bad-a-Bing State.
  • Interests:mathematics, physics, alternative energy sources.

I am also involved in preparing recorded books for blind and dyslexic folks.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

After receiving top notch cancer care in the People's Republic of Cuba,  Hugo Chavez has died.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Ba' al Chatzaf 

אויב מיין באָבע האט בייצים זי וואָלט זיין מיין זיידע

#2 Selene

Selene

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,668 posts
  • Interests:Chess, birding, football, baseball, minimalist backpacking, argumentation and debate, politics and philosophy, strategic board gaming, history, Rand, poetry, writing.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

After receiving top notch cancer care in the People's Republic of Cuba,  Hugo Chavez has died.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Ba' al Chatzaf 

Oh no!

Shall we wring our collective hands?

Shall we weep out collective eyes?

Nah...IT'S PARTY TIME ...

party-smiley-040.gif

party-smiley-043.gif

party-smiley-044.gif

party-smiley-045.gif

party-smiley-047.gif

party-smiley-048.gif

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice..and moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

#3 Selene

Selene

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,668 posts
  • Interests:Chess, birding, football, baseball, minimalist backpacking, argumentation and debate, politics and philosophy, strategic board gaming, history, Rand, poetry, writing.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

And there's more celebrations...

To:
"Adam Selene" <jgalt44@yahoo.com>

orsonclapping.gif

laurelhardy.gif

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice..and moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

#4 Las Vegas

Las Vegas

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,175 posts
  • Interests:Business, computer science, consumer electronics, medical science, lap swimming, weight training, photography, Rand & anyone who makes sense.

U.S. Army Veteran

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Best news I've heard in weeks.

Live long & prosper

#5 Kyle Jacob Biodrowski

Kyle Jacob Biodrowski

$$$$

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, politics, power-fantasies, economics, comedy, history, humanity, computers, video games, fits of rage, fitness, debate, delusions of grandeur, ideas, music, voice-acting, and human psychology.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

I've been waiting to use this one...

"I’ve been waiting for awhile to meet you. For the chance to shake your hand. To give you thanks for all the suffering you command." - STP

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

#6 Ninth Doctor

Ninth Doctor

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,994 posts
  • Interests:Fiction authors: Umberto Eco, P.G. Wodehouse, Thomas Pynchon, Douglas Adams, Robert Heinlein

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

Bu-bu-but, Venezuelans trying to get their money out of the country have been a major source of capital for companies I work for! Y'all are clapping and dancing and I've got some mixed feelings over here! This is how it would be if they actually did 'simplify' the tax code. Like when Bush repealed the Estate Tax, albeit only briefly. You know how long I had to spend learning that shit?

Nevertheless, when the news came across I sang out the beginning of this tune, and by the end a chorus (everyone in earshot) had joined in.

Prandium gratis non est

#7 Michael E. Marotta

Michael E. Marotta

Rational Empiricist

• Members
  • 2,556 posts
  • Interests:Numismatics, Physical Security and Computer Security, Aviation

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Will Venezuela recover... or spin out of control?  Look at what happened in Yugoslavia when Tito died.  Ayn Rand preferred a communist government to no government.  She wasn't kidding. A power struggle must now play out.  How that is realized may be hard on the people.

Mike M.
-----------------------------------------------

Michael E. Marotta, BS, MA.
Criminology & Social Science

Blogging at Necessary Facts
------------------------------------------------

#8 Kyrel Zantonavitch

Kyrel Zantonavitch

$$$

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Broad general world culture, history, philosophy, politics, controversalia, etc.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

The dictator Hugo Chavez may be dead. But the idea of dictatorship, unfortunately, is still quite alive. The world needs to mercilessly kill off the idea that the Individual should somehow live, and be forced to live, for the sake of god, mankind, or the gov't. The sacred One is an untouchable and deity-like creature which should only live for his own pleasure, enjoyment, excitement, contentment, satisfaction, meaning, purpose, and happiness. So to hell with serving these extraneous and accursed god, mankind, and gov't things!

'Pure Liberal Fire' -- a radical and challenging new book which contains at least ten important new ideas not found in any other Objectivist writer: www.Amazon.com/Pure-Liberal-Fire-Philosophy-Liberalism/dp/1484872681

#9 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,237 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

sss

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#10 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,038 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, what else is there?

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

???

#11 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,237 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

I can't control the edit function. I hate this software.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#12 Michael E. Marotta

Michael E. Marotta

Rational Empiricist

• Members
  • 2,556 posts
  • Interests:Numismatics, Physical Security and Computer Security, Aviation

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

"All men are ruled by a flag or a game."  How about you Kyril?  Are you dedicated to freedom?  Extreme egoism is undifferentiable from nihilism.  Does an amoral middle exist?  I mean, specifically, even if we here grant ourselves a special status of awareness beyond that of the benighted masses whom we see to save from themselves, is that not being ruled by some deity-like entity, a disembodied, non-corporeal idea apart from your own rational self-interest.

Harry Browne warned against that in How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World.  He called it The Burning Issue Trap.  (The Headline Trap was a corollary.)  According to Browne (and others such as Skye & Natalee), a rational person is only interested in the freedom that they can get for themselves in their lifetime.

Moreover, Chavez was democratically elected, which speaks to the deeper problem of a the philosophical roots of a nation's culture.  Politics is a consequence, nothing more (or less).

Mike M.
-----------------------------------------------

Michael E. Marotta, BS, MA.
Criminology & Social Science

Blogging at Necessary Facts
------------------------------------------------

#13 Kyrel Zantonavitch

Kyrel Zantonavitch

$$$

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Broad general world culture, history, philosophy, politics, controversalia, etc.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Extreme egoism is undifferentiable from nihilism.  Does an amoral middle exist?  I mean, specifically, even if we here grant ourselves a special status of awareness beyond that of the benighted masses whom we see to save from themselves, is that not being ruled by some deity-like entity, a disembodied, non-corporeal idea apart from your own rational self-interest.

Not sure what you mean, Michael. Isn't extreme egoism a strong dedication to individual happiness, while nihilism is a strong dedication to the destruction of others and the self? And I'm not sure how the pursuit of ideals or the good life for the individual means being ruled by a disembodied, non-corporeal idea. 

'Pure Liberal Fire' -- a radical and challenging new book which contains at least ten important new ideas not found in any other Objectivist writer: www.Amazon.com/Pure-Liberal-Fire-Philosophy-Liberalism/dp/1484872681

#14 Selene

Selene

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

Ayn Rand preferred a communist government to no government.  She wasn't kidding.

MEM:

You have a source for that statement by Ayn?

A...

#15 Ninth Doctor

Ninth Doctor

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,994 posts
  • Interests:Fiction authors: Umberto Eco, P.G. Wodehouse, Thomas Pynchon, Douglas Adams, Robert Heinlein

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

According to Browne (and others such as Skye & Natalee), a rational person is only interested in the freedom that they can get for themselves in their lifetime.

With an attitude like that I wonder if John Locke would have ever bothered putting pen to paper. Or Rand, come to think of it.
Prandium gratis non est

#16 Las Vegas

Las Vegas

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,175 posts
  • Interests:Business, computer science, consumer electronics, medical science, lap swimming, weight training, photography, Rand & anyone who makes sense.

U.S. Army Veteran

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

http://imageshack.us...fkamenrider.gif

Live long & prosper

#17 Mike82ARP

Mike82ARP

$$$

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Objectivism- in the open sense. Hydroponic gardening.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Bette Davis said to always speak good of the dead......   He’s dead.  Good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users