Photo
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Kyrel Zantonavitch

Kyrel Zantonavitch

$$$$

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Broad general world culture, history, philosophy, politics, controversalia, cutting-edge theory, etc.

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:07 PM

My thanks to Stephen Boydstun (in post 12) for calling to my attention the book Inventing the Individual: The Origins of Western Liberalism by Larry Siedentop (2014)! I came across a similar book about 12 years ago which was lightly discussed on the WeTheLiving.com Atlantis forum. I haven't read either book, but the ideas inside certainly seem important, however profoundly mistaken.

I carefully read the first 4 of 27 sections, and 48 of 442 pages, of Inventing the Individual. It doesn't seem worthwhile. It's five main authorities are hopelessly obscure, and most of its initial claims are false, misleading, or irrelevant. It's also immensely boring -- which is often a clue to a book's quality.

Still, these are ideas worth considering! Ayn Rand herself seemed to fall victim to some of the above pro-Christian fatuous claims.

Author of a radical new book of philosophical essays containing many important ideas not found in any other Objectivist writer: http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/1484872681.

#22 Selene

Selene

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 18,378 posts
  • Interests:Chess, birding, football, baseball, minimalist backpacking, argumentation and debate, politics and philosophy, strategic board gaming, history, Rand, poetry, writing.

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:32 PM

Well if she did, you fell in shortly afterwards.

Your stated position was not this man's...

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

A...

Post Script:

monkey-waving-smiley-emoticon.gif                           <<<<Kyrel, does this constitute contact?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice..and moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classical liberalism, neoliberalism, The Enlightenment, The Age of Reason, The Classical Era, Objectivism, libertarianism, Austrianism, progress, history

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users