25 replies to this topic

#21 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 14,985 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

My intent in starting the thread was to help NB and Leigh if the SOS was real, ask people to help verify if the request was legitimate, and find out whether they were all right.

When I posted it, I knew I ran the risk of looking foolish since some warning bells went off in my mind when I looked at the email header hash, but I didn't know for sure. I wanted to know and, if the SOS were real, do something to help.

I'm glad it was baloney. Simply put, I didn't--and don't--give a damn about looking foolish. People are free to think what they want. NB and Leigh are all right and that's what I do care about.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread is a success for what I wished to accomplish.

It may have alerted Leigh to what was going on.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#22 Jonathan

Jonathan

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

My intent in starting the thread was to help NB and Leigh if the SOS was real, ask people to help verify if the request was legitimate, and find out whether they were all right.

When I posted it, I knew I ran the risk of looking foolish since some warning bells went off in my mind when I looked at the email header hash, but I didn't know for sure. I wanted to know and, if the SOS were real, do something to help.

I'm glad it was baloney. Simply put, I didn't--and don't--give a damn about looking foolish. People are free to think what they want. NB and Leigh are all right and that's what I do care about.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread is a success for what I wished to accomplish.

Michael

I don't think you looked foolish.

Michael, if you took my part in this thread as a dig at you, I apoligize. It wasn't intended that way.

J

#23 Michael Stuart Kelly

Michael Stuart Kelly

$$$$$$

• Root Admin
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Jonathan,

Of course I didn't take it as a dig at me. Nor did I take any of the comments on this thread as a dig. I know my people (meaning the regulars around here). When you guys want to dig, you are generally not subtle. :)

But OL has a lot of readers who do not participate--friendly, hostile, intelligent (mostly), ignorant, emotional, cerebral, left, right and so on. Each one brings to understanding the material his or her own context, experiences, biases, etc.

Something clear to me or to you could prompt a different conclusion when filtered through a much different outlook on life.

I made my comment so there would be no doubt to anyone who might interpret any of the comments on this thread as a dig. Also, I took the opportunity to articulate a perspective I find admirable, one that is typical of the better people who get involved with Rand's ideas.

In fact, I believe my frame is what most all the OL regulars think and feel--the important part in an issue like this is for those we love to be well and the rest be damned.

I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

Michael

Know thyself...

#24 Jonathan

Jonathan

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

When you guys want to dig, you are generally not subtle. :smile:

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from Phil lately? Is he okay? Has he gotten the professional help that he needs? I hope so.

J

#25 Xray

Xray

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Michael Stuart Kelly in post # 19 said: 

Absolutely. For trying to find out whether the email is genuine was an indispensable first step to take.

#26 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,010 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, what else is there?

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Michael Stuart Kelly in post # 19 said: 

Absolutely. For trying to find out whether the email is genuine was an indispensable first step to take.

Hey Angela,

Offtopic, but have you checked out the new guy Serapis? Love his pic-- if only I were 70 years younger don't you think we would make a cute couple?

Hope the guys have all got their Vday tributes OK.

Carol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users