Well, let me say this, the election was not good and I am also disappointed... Very disappointed.
I voted for Romney but my primary course was always the desire to fire Obama. He was not fired. And isn’t it a kick in the teeth to know just how bad Obama is, and see America elect him anyway? It’s like America just told us “Tough – We want collectivism”.
But let’s be honest here. We already know America has accepted too much of the collectivist principles. Mysticism and collectivism are well entrenched no matter how we cast the dice, and while Obama is not qualified to run a lemonade stand let alone be the leader of a *free* country, there is no reason to think Romney would have been the cure to the poison.
Romney would have done a better job but that is when compared to Obama, which lets face it this is a pretty easy curve to beat. The issue is we would still be sliding down the path to central planning despite who won today.
So the good news?
Well, we won’t have a business man taking the blame and getting the free market painted as the bad guy so easily when the next recession hits. Let’s remember, Bush talked up the free market but gave us more Government than Clinton did, and yet Bush is blamed for “deregulation failures” on the economy when we know the Bush years added something like 18,000 new bureaucrats. So under Bush businesses were blamed and the free market was accused of failing when a first year economy grad should be able to tell you that we don’t have a free economy and that the failures are easily traceably to Government interference.
Note I said should. And that is the point. The free market gets painted as the bad guy when it’s government interference and with Obama such nonsense will reign hollow when Romney could have been easily painted with “market failures” and “pro-business” to an economically illiterate country.
The battle is still one of ideas, after all. The re-selection of Obama is just proof of that.
But there is still to be optimistic:
- Here is Michigan Proposal 2, which would have allowed Unions to challenge any law that restricted their contracts or right to collectivist barnstorming, and apply it retroactively, was shot down. This was the Union’s attempt to float a legal balloon to see if they can stop what happened in Wisconsin here in Michigan, and a lot of State’s have been watching to see if they could get away with this monstrosity. We shot it down in a pro-Union state which means it will be harder to bring to a local gang near you. I’m proud we voted it down and it is a good sign for attitudes.
- Two States legalized Marijuana? This could not have happened 20 years ago.
- Two States legalized gay marriage? Again, this is a sign of a good trend.
- As a long term trend, let’s remember that in the last twenty years we as a Country have enforced gun rights and except for one State (Illinois is, not surprisingly, the exception) all States have increased an owners rights to carry and conceal.
- These are examples. We should start a thread with more!
OK, these are examples of silver linings on a stormy day. Grasping a few straws? Maybe. But honestly there are signs of life in a sea of swill and the principle is people do want to be free and there is hope, real hope, if only we can get people to ply it consistently to their lives and principles. Jonathan could give us a lecture on this being an example of the sublime.
This election sucked, not because Obama won, but because we got a bucket of cold water reminding us that the Obamas of the world can and will be elected and the task to change it is greater than we want to admit. Obama just ripped the band-aid off and has reminded us of the problem for what it is. Whether Obama won or not, the ideas that make his Presidency possible still would exist and we have to see them for what they are. Romney would have been another band-aid to a wound that is festering and losing blood.
Well, enough with band-aids. Time to wake up and smell the napalm in the morning and get to work - We didn’t loose an election, but won the recognition that in the war of freedom it really is all or nothing when it comes to certain core principles. I say it is time that we each find a way to take advantage of this wake up call and do something about it. We’re upset because we are right and yet we are losing.
But that is the point. WE ARE RIGHT. Time to start acting like we are right and take the fight to the collectivists. We can beat these idiots by definition, since if they were competent they wouldn’t need the Government to be the man they are to lazy to be.
Thank you Obama for winning and showing me what needs to be done. Thank for giving me this bloody nose and I’m a big enough man to admit that I likely needed it.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, you just lit a fire under my ass that you will not be able to put out.