• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 blackhorse

blackhorse

$$$$

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Ms. Branden hasn't posted on OL for a while. Anyone know how she is doing?

#2 whYNOT

whYNOT

tony garland

• Members
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

Ms. Branden hasn't posted on OL for a while. Anyone know how she is doing?

Good question I've often wanted to ask. Hope somebody knows.
(Seem to recall MSK is in touch with her.)
"To know that we know what we know, and to know that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge". Nicolaus Copernicus (An original objectivist) 1473-1543 ***No man may be smaller than his philosophy...***

#3 Michael Stuart Kelly

Michael Stuart Kelly

$$$$$$

• Root Admin
  • 20,062 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

I haven't heard from her in a while.

I love her dearly (Kat, too) and she is doing what is best for Barbara. That's basically what I know.

My guess is that she is tired of posting on forums at the present and is pursuing some other interests.

I will probably write her before too long. I, too, miss her.

Michael

Know thyself...

#4 Ninth Doctor

Ninth Doctor

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,992 posts
  • Interests:Fiction authors: Umberto Eco, P.G. Wodehouse, Thomas Pynchon, Douglas Adams, Robert Heinlein

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Maybe she'll pop in to tell us how she feels about the new movie. I don't think she's been around since the first came out. There's a midnight showing tomorrow night near me, but I'll be waiting till Friday at the earliest.
Prandium gratis non est

#5 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,001 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

Terry O'Quinn has arranged someone to be with her or check in on her on a regular basis. She last came here signed on on my birthday--March 28. She last posted over a year ago. I did not try to see her on my visit with Nathaniel and Leigh Branden last month. My working assumption is she is reading as always (Kindle books) but that's that. Since PARC has been demolished by sundry folk in various ways and that war has died, her acute need for posting seems to have passed by. She's a fighter who has fought her last (social-intellectual) fight, but is still with us albeit in retirement. I will try to visit/contact her on my next trip to LA on my way to Oregon in November.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#6 blackhorse

blackhorse

$$$$

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

It'd be nice to throw her a party just for the heck of it, just to let her know that she is admired, and with many of you, loved.

#7 studiodekadent

studiodekadent

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,192 posts
  • Interests:Austrian and Evolutionary Economics, Objectivism, Electro-Industrial Music (Listening/Composing/ Producing), Synthesizers, Goth/Industrial/ Cyberpunk/Formal Fashion, Makeup (more than my mother), Drinking, Blackjack, Debauchery of Assorted Varieties.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

Sorry for joining this party late.

I've had my disagreements with Barbara, but her biography of Rand is stellar. She's a great human being. She is intelligent, confident and the few exchanges I had with her were very productive.

I understand if she can't be at OL often or if she retires from the online world. But I will still hold her in esteem, irrespective of whether or not she returns.

www.myspace.com/studiodekadent

#8 Roger Bissell

Roger Bissell

$$$$$$

• VIP
  • 2,153 posts
  • Interests:philosophy, psychology, genealogy, fiction

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

I received a very nice email from Barbara last week. If my schedule permits, I'm going to try to schedule a get-together with her and with Nathaniel and Leigh.

Leigh tells me that Barbara is working very diligently on her efficient thinking book. There is no projected completion date that I am aware of, but if/when someone finds out before I do, I hope they will post that information here.

REB
Objectivism, properly used, is a tool for living, not a weapon with which to bash those one disagrees with.

#9 marc

marc

$$$

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

I did spend the afternoon with her recently when I was in LA back around 3 weeks ago.

We had a lovely discussion about an assortment of topics. 

I have met few people in my life who are so intelligent at any age as Barbara is now . If I can be as sharp as Barbara is now ( I am 50 ) it would be a blessing , never mind in 30 years when I am 80  !

#10 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,001 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

I did spend the afternoon with her recently when I was in LA back around 3 weeks ago.

I have met few people in my life who are so intelligent at any age as Barbara is now . If I can be as sharp as Barbara is now ( I am 50 ) it would be a blessing , never mind in 30 years when I am 80  !

Thanks for saying this.

--Brant

she has a very good friend in LA in Kerry O'Quinn

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#11 marc

marc

$$$

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

Thanks for saying this.

--Brant

she has a very good friend in LA in Kerry O'Quinn

Kerry is amazing , I missed him this time but last year the 3 of us went for lunch . Great man how he looks out for Barbara . 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users