Photo
- - - - -

What do we think of the idea of Alien Visitors on Earth? (I.E. them little gray fella's)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 16,342 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

"She remained furious for months . . . ."

Not exactly rational.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#22 Mark

Mark

$$$$

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

Joan Blumenthal -- or was it Allan Blumenthal? -- handled the situation poorly. She needn't have confirmed or denied the tree, she should simply have held her tongue.

The problem contains its solution in that the same reason someone makes such a mistake (not fully conscious) is why they'll likely ignore you when you ignore them.

This story about a mundane, common, occurance in hospitals is used to cast aspersions on AR's personality. If JB pressed the issue and argued with AR over the tree then JB was the rude and thoughtless one.

As for remaing furious for months, who would give this credence for one microsecond?

#23 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 16,342 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

If, then.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#24 PDS

PDS

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

And there is this, after all.

#25 Ellen Stuttle

Ellen Stuttle

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Psychology, Physics, Philosophy, Literature, Music

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Joan Blumenthal -- or was it Allan Blumenthal? -- handled the situation poorly.She needn't have confirmed or denied the tree, she should simply have held her tongue.

Joan. Makes perfect sense to me, on the basis of my impressions of Ayn's various associates, that Joan would have been the one who, as Barbara describes, was best able to cope with Ayn-post-op.

I don't agree about the "handled the situation poorly." For one thing, exactly what Joan might have said isn't recorded. The way I imagine it, Ayn talked about a tree out the window, Joan realized it was just the reflection of the IV pole and casually said so, not expecting to trigger a defensive reaction.

As for remaing furious for months, who would give this credence for one microsecond?

The "furious" I figure is hyperbole. However, judging from two further reports, Ayn did remain angry about it, even after the Blumenthals had split with her. See the passages in Passion about the Blumenthals coming to their separation with Ayn and then about Elayne Kalberman's splitting a bit later.

(Apologies again for not being able to provide the page numbers just now.)

Ellen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users