John Carter

Roark:

No.

However, I am sure you know that it is not doing well at the box office.

$250,000,000 million to make. Yep, one quarter of a billion dollars.

It took in only 35 million in its first two weekends. So, as a fan, you should see it quick, while you still can.

It has a Mars setting correct?

Adam

Yes it is on Barsoom. From the reviews I have read I hear that it is good old fashioned pulp fiction where the bad guys are BAD and the good guys are GOOD.-none of this moral ambiguity garbage that fills most action/sci fi movies these days. It's high sci-fi operatic romance, something that is sorely lacking in cinema these days. I look foreward to seeing it (in 3-D, too!)

It seems that too many people are drawn to filth and anti-hero's in movies...which is a good barometer of what values a culture at large embraces ---- check out there arts. (the same culture that elected Obama) Ayn Rand knew the value of art and I think that John Carter's current plummet (it may recoup in the long run) is due to a culture that values the wrong values and cannot see the merit in a heroic movie. Sure, John Carter may not have the best writing or perfect character development, but it looks as though it is presenting a positive heroic value in general. I have a hunch that I will enjoy the movie.

Here's a recent TED Talk on story by the filmmaker (with an embedded plug for the film).

It's worth seeing, especially if you like creating stories.

<object width="526" height="374">

<param name="movie" value="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf"></param>'>http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf"></param>

<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />

<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/>

<param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param>

<param name="bgColor" value="#ffffff"></param>

<param name="flashvars" value="vu=http://video.ted.com/talk/stream/2012/Blank/AndrewStanton_2012-320k.mp4&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/AndrewStanton_2012-embed.jpg&vw=512&vh=288&ap=0&ti=1379&lang=&introDuration=15330&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=830&adKeys=talk=andrew_stanton_the_clues_to_a_great_story;year=2012;theme=master_storytellers;theme=the_creative_spark;event=TED2012;tag=arts;tag=entertainment;tag=film;tag=storytelling;&preAdTag=tconf.ted/embed;tile=1;sz=512x288;" />

<embed src="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf" pluginspace="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" bgColor="#ffffff" width="526" height="374" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashvars="vu=http://video.ted.com/talk/stream/2012/Blank/AndrewStanton_2012-320k.mp4&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/AndrewStanton_2012-embed.jpg&vw=512&vh=288&ap=0&ti=1379&lang=&introDuration=15330&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=830&adKeys=talk=andrew_stanton_the_clues_to_a_great_story;year=2012;theme=master_storytellers;theme=the_creative_spark;event=TED2012;tag=arts;tag=entertainment;tag=film;tag=storytelling;&preAdTag=tconf.ted/embed;tile=1;sz=512x288;"></embed>

</object>

Michael

That was a wonderful Ted Talk Michael. Thank you. I remember that scene from Laurence of Arabia. He has walked across the Sinai and sees a military motorcyclist. Laurence’s companion yells for the courier to stop. He does and then the military courier yells across a hundred yards of sand to Peter O’Toole’s character, “Who are you?” And then we see the Arab dressed, Laurence of Arabia’s sand plastered face ponder that mystery . . . until he slowly comes to the realization of who he is. Wow! What superb acting and storytelling.

I read the Edgar Rice Burroughs’s John Carter books when I was a wee bit too old for them but once hooked on one I read them all. Excellent storytelling for a young person, perhaps for someone under fifteen.

I read the original Tarzan when I was twelve, but that book was probably for someone much older. When the Catholic kids went to catholic catechism school in Rhode Island on Friday afternoons the remainder of the public school children got to pick from a library cart. I saw this thick old book called “Tarzan” and of course I had seen several Hollywood movies about Tarzan and Cheetah and boy. I started reading in class and I remember the part about Tarzan suckling from his ape mother and was embarrassed.

Peter Taylor

Blackhorse,

I have been eager to hear your response to the movie if you have seen it as you said you would.

My son collected many comics as a boy and the John Carter series was among them. I had bought a very few Classics Illustrated when I was a child in Brooklyn for ten cents each when they first came out. I did not have the foresight to appreciate how they would increase in value over the years, nor did I have the money. In those days, during the World War II years and afterwards, a dime was a dime.

So while my son collected Conan The Barbarian, Daredevil, Silver Surfer and X men and many others , I kept him company on his quest to find certain issues by collecting all the Classics Illustrated series which was complicated.

I know John Carter is not doing well at the box office and Walt Disney lost 200 million I am hoping that it will be worth seeing. The reviews I have read are mixed. I hope we have a genuine hero here.

gulch

Blackhorse,

I have been eager to hear your response to the movie if you have seen it as you said you would.

My son collected many comics as a boy and the John Carter series was among them. I had bought a very few Classics Illustrated when I was a child in Brooklyn for ten cents each when they first came out. I did not have the foresight to appreciate how they would increase in value over the years, nor did I have the money. In those days, during the World War II years and afterwards, a dime was a dime.

So while my son collected Conan The Barbarian, Daredevil, Silver Surfer and X men and many others , I kept him company on his quest to find certain issues by collecting all the Classics Illustrated series which was complicated.

I know John Carter is not doing well at the box office and Walt Disney lost 200 million I am hoping that it will be worth seeing. The reviews I have read are mixed. I hope we have a genuine hero here.

gulch

Part of the problem is this: Everyone knows that Mars is NOT an abode of life and if it ever were, it has been billions of years since Mars could have supported life. The planet lost its magnetic field billions of years ago and since them life would have been virtually impossible. Why? Because without a magnetic field, the sun's radiation and coronal mass ejections would have blasted away most of the atmosphere and caused any bodies of water to evaporate into outer space. Bottom line: No life on mars whatsoever in our 19 th century.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ba'al,

As you no doubt know, Giordano Bruno was burned alive by the Holy Roman Inquisition for refusing to recant his belief, considered to be blasphemy and heretical, that there were innumerable planets inhabited by life throughout the universe.

Although there is no life within our solar system we are now aware that there are over 100 billion star systems in the MIlky Way galaxy and over 100 billion other galaxies within the observable universe. No doubt we are not the only planet within the universe inhabited by intelligent life.

I just want to know if Blackhorse enjoyed Disney's John Carter movie with full knowledge that Mars is uninhabited.

Thanks for your information.

And if you are a registered Republican please attend the delegate meetings to help us enable Ron Paul to become the nominee so we can restore America as a limited Constitutional Republic and prevent our country from going bankrupt and becoming a totalitarian dictatorship.

gulch