YouTube whirly things

There is probably no help for this and it is just my computer, but it doesn't hurt to ask. All the youtube links I click on give me three seconds of sound and then a minute of frozen silence with the whirly thing going around and around,then three more seconds of sound, then so on ad infinitum. it is exasperating. Is there any fix.?

Carol:

I know you may not want to answer this, but do you have a program like Spybot installed?

Do you defrag your computer regularly?

One way to approach this is to allow the YouTube video to completely load before you press play.

Adam

Carol: I know you may not want to answer this, but do you have a program like Spybot installed? Do you defrag your computer regularly? One way to approach this is to allow the YouTube video to completely load before you press play. Adam

No of course don't want to, I dont know about installs. what is defrag?

Carol: I know you may not want to answer this, but do you have a program like Spybot installed? Do you defrag your computer regularly? One way to approach this is to allow the YouTube video to completely load before you press play. Adam

In your start menu bottom left of your screen - will see Programs with an arrow pointing right - when you place your cursor over the arrow, a long menu will appear off the arrow on your right ...

then you go up to accessories where another window will appear wherein you will see system tools and in there is:

Disk Cleanup

Disk Defragmenter

Basically these operations will compress files and clean up items that can cause your system to "drag" or lag.

It could be that you need more RAM, or more memory.

In your start menu bottom left of your screen - will see Programs with an arrow pointing right - when you place your cursor over the arrow, a long menu will appear off the arrow on your right ...

then you go up to accessories where another window will appear wherein you will see system tools and in there is:

Disk Cleanup

Disk Defragmenter

Basically these operations will compress files and clean up items that can cause your system to "drag" or lag.

Don't most computers nowadays defrag automatically, in the background?

Carol's problem sounds like a slow connection or, as you suggested, insufficient RAM.

Ghs

Disk Cleanup

Disk Defragmenter

Carol's problem sounds like a slow connection or, as you suggested, insufficient RAM.

Ghs

Most newer computers may, but the one I work on is older with all sorts of additions by my associate who builds these things. However, I am going to break down and get a Mac laptop in a month or so, maybe sooner.

Disk Cleanup

Disk Defragmenter

Ghs

Most newer computers may, but the one I work on is older with all sorts of additions by my associate who builds these things. However, I am going to break down and get a Mac laptop in a month or so, maybe sooner.

I think insufficient Ram sounds right, my computer is secondhand and I said when I bought it I would only need minimum whatever.

I think insufficient Ram sounds right, my computer is secondhand and I said when I bought it I would only need minimum whatever.

In that case Adam gave the best advice, namely, to let the video load fully before you play it. When you click on a YouTube video, you will see a gray bar (at the bottom) advance to the right; and trailing behind you will see a red bar advance as the video plays.

If it takes forever and a day for that gray bar to move all the way to the right (which indicates loading). this means that you have a really slow computer. Nevertheless, if the pauses are too annoying, you should wait for this to happen. You might be able to fix some coffee or take a nap in the meantime. :sad:

I assume you are using high speed cable. If not -- if you are using DHL or (perish the thought) an old 56k modem -- then you are screwed.

Ghs

Carol,

I don't know what Operating System you are using, but you should be able to find the specs for your computer very easily.

In your Start Menu (or the equivalent) click on Computer. Then click on the tab System Properties, or something to that effect. There you should find a spec that reads "Memory (RAM)" What does it say?

Ghs

Carol,

I don't know what Operating System you are using, but you should be able to find the specs for your computer very easily.

In your Start Menu (or the equivalent) click on Computer. Then click on the tab System Properties, or something to that effect. There you should find a spec that reads "Memory (RAM)" What does it say?

Ghs

Yep. Systems properties, under the General tab under System Restore tab and it will be 2nd from the bottom above Physical Address Extension

... all of the above is fine... Also, you do not have a point-to-point connection. You could be fighting for resources with a zillion people, or none. Also, the creator of the video may or may not have optimized the presentation. Some are slow; others are fast. I agree that letting it load completely is best, granted also that your own computer is optimized.

And it is not just YouTube. You get these problems with plain websites. It might be your computer, your connection, or their design.

Carol,

Ghs

The RAM says 768.

Carol, I don't know what Operating System you are using, but you should be able to find the specs for your computer very easily. In your Start Menu (or the equivalent) click on Computer. Then click on the tab System Properties, or something to that effect. There you should find a spec that reads "Memory (RAM)" What does it say? Ghs
The RAM says 768.

I assume the 768 refers to MBs (megabytes), not to GBs (gigabytes), since the latter would be incredibly fast. For example, on my HP computer, which is around 4 years old, the RAM is listed at 3 GB. This was decent when I got the computer, but I'm sure it is child's play by today's standards. Even so, my computer is quite fast, and I have no complaints.

Someone who actually knows something about computers can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are 1000 MBs in a GB. Thus, if you have only 768 MBs of RAM, you are working with an obsolete dinosaur, and I'm surprised you can watch videos at all. I can only wish you good luck with that fossil. 8-)

I may be exaggerating here, but it is my understanding that videos take up a lot of RAM, so I assume that the 768 MBs of RAM is the source of your problem.

Ghs

Carol, I don't know what Operating System you are using, but you should be able to find the specs for your computer very easily. In your Start Menu (or the equivalent) click on Computer. Then click on the tab System Properties, or something to that effect. There you should find a spec that reads "Memory (RAM)" What does it say? Ghs
The RAM says 768.

I assume the 768 refers to MBs (megabytes), not to GBs (gigabytes), since the latter would be incredibly fast. For example, on my HP computer, which is around 4 years old, the RAM is listed at 3 GB. This was decent when I got the computer, but I'm sure it is child's play by today's standards. Even so, my computer is quite fast, and I have no complaints.

Someone who actually knows something about computers can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are 1000 MBs in a GB. Thus, if you have only 768 MBs of RAM, you are working with an obsolete dinosaur, and I'm surprised you can watch videos at all. I can only wish you good luck with that fossil. 8-)

I may be exaggerating here, but it is my understanding that videos take up a lot of RAM, so I assume that the 768 MBs of RAM is the source of your problem.

Ghs

Looks like it.

Carol

Obsolescent