Current Reading

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Philip Coates

Philip Coates

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,560 posts
  • Interests:--Playing Sports (running, basketball, body surfing)
    --Literature and History
    --Art Museums
    --Rock 'n Roll, Classical, Country and Western
    --Epistemology
    --Travel
    --Classic Old Movies

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

> Or, maybe not interested in discussing them with Phil Coates.

Little known fact: When you post, you are discussing them with everyone.

#22 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,726 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

They didn't post.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#23 Ninth Doctor

Ninth Doctor

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 4,005 posts
  • Interests:Fiction authors: Umberto Eco, P.G. Wodehouse, Thomas Pynchon, Douglas Adams, Robert Heinlein

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

Not when people have Phil’s posts set on ignore. RC and WSS recently wrote that they avail themselves of that option; so did BG, but here we have proof that he nonetheless can’t resist a peek at Phil’s latest bit of finger wagging.
Prandium gratis non est

#24 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,077 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, what else is there?

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

Not when people have Phil’s posts set on ignore. RC and WSS recently wrote that they avail themselves of that option; so did BG, but here we have proof that he nonetheless can’t resist a peek at Phil’s latest bit of finger wagging.

How much relief does that give the ignorer, though? Unless every poster agrees to send Phil to Coventry (and we know how easily everyone here is unanimous on everything) they will be confronted with Phil when anybody else replies to something.he's quoted about.

Can someone really be ignored who like the poor will always be with us?

Mother Caroline Whistler
Friend to the Poor

#25 Ninth Doctor

Ninth Doctor

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 4,005 posts
  • Interests:Fiction authors: Umberto Eco, P.G. Wodehouse, Thomas Pynchon, Douglas Adams, Robert Heinlein

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

With a parting howl, Phil goes away for about 6 months at a time; it's like he has a hibernation schedule. The sooner he goes away the better, and maybe next time he'll come back an improved bear.
Prandium gratis non est

#26 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

With a parting howl, Phil goes away for about 6 months at a time; it's like he has a hibernation schedule. The sooner he goes away the better, and maybe next time he'll come back an improved bear.

Yet the icecaps are melting at an alarming rate. Hibernia ain't what it used to be.

#27 Ninth Doctor

Ninth Doctor

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

Yet the icecaps are melting at an alarming rate. Hibernia ain't what it used to be.

Huh? I thought Hibernia was an archaic name for Ireland. No icecaps there. Anyway, don't worry about Phil, he can hunt beluga!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE-RKRNSG_c
Prandium gratis non est

#28 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

Huh? I thought Hibernia was an archaic name for Ireland. No icecaps there. Anyway, don't worry about Phil, he can hunt beluga!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE-RKRNSG_c

Way to try Polar Bear! You can see why they're worth $CDN each.

#29 Philip Coates

Philip Coates

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,560 posts
    --Literature and History
    --Art Museums
    --Epistemology
    --Travel
    --Classic Old Movies

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

Still no more impatient than the average bear at a frozen ice hole, waiting patiently for literary or or other Book Reading to emerge from the teeming multitudes of literate, knowledgeable OL posters. Perhaps from the ones who claim to have read? know more? have forgotten? more than I will ever know.

I guess it was all troll- bluster and I've forgotten more really good books than ND and George will ever read. or have even heard of.... :D :huh: :wacko: :blink:

#30 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

I took Phil and one other off my now empty "Ignore" list.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#31 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

Then he owes us three months on the last one.

--Brant
poke, poke--actually, he's not toooooo bad right now

#32 Philip Coates

Philip Coates

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,560 posts
    --Literature and History
    --Art Museums
    --Epistemology
    --Travel
    --Classic Old Movies

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

> poke, poke--actually, he's not toooooo bad right now

Never poke a sleeping bear, Brant. :smile: Right now (for some strange reason) I'm not feeling as angry or outraged** about the things that upset me about Oism, the movement, about OL, about being attacked, nobody apparently reading much or anything good.....yada, yada. I think I've just accepted a bit that's the way things are - and I'm just waiting patiently at the ice hole with my claws sheathed waiting for a steak dinner to pop up...

Or maybe I'm on tranquilizers? If rape is inevitable, just relax and enjoy it.

**of course, that could change in a heartbeat :cool:

#33 Philip Coates

Philip Coates

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,560 posts
    --Literature and History
    --Art Museums
    --Epistemology
    --Travel
    --Classic Old Movies

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

> I'm not feeling as angry or outraged...

...or maybe I'm just a BiPolar Bear?

#34 Peter Taylor

Peter Taylor

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

Phil wrote:
Or maybe I'm on tranquilizers? If rape is inevitable, just relax and enjoy it. **of course, that could change in a heartbeat
end quote

Is that YOUR fantasy? You just might be a redneck if you say the above. Goober, I am not a feminist but that is just not funny though it was briefly, snicker-worthy back in 1955. And your attempt to bring Ghs into the conversation won’t work while my saying this might. You’ re welcome.
Peter
Semper cogitans fidele,
Independent Objectivist,
Peter Taylor

#35 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

> poke, poke--actually, he's not toooooo bad right now

Never poke a sleeping bear, Brant. :smile: Right now (for some strange reason) I'm not feeling as angry or outraged** about the things that upset me about Oism, the movement, about OL, about being attacked, nobody apparently reading much or anything good.....yada, yada. I think I've just accepted a bit that's the way things are - and I'm just waiting patiently at the ice hole with my claws sheathed waiting for a steak dinner to pop up...

Or maybe I'm on tranquilizers? If rape is inevitable, just relax and enjoy it.

**of course, that could change in a heartbeat :cool:

The rape-type quote thing is what got a NYC weather broadcaster, Tex Antoine fired in 1976. The story he was feeding off--he only heard a small part of it apparently--concerned the violent rape of a five year-old girl. I don't remember if I actually saw the broadcast or if I made it a false memory, but the main news-reader wanted to clobber him. As for rape being inevitable, I hope she pulls a .38 sub-nose out of her purse and deals out another kind of "inevitable."

--Brant
gimme a broad who packs a gun

#36 PDS

PDS

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

> I'm not feeling as angry or outraged...

...or maybe I'm just a BiPolar Bear?

Okay, Phil, you get major kudos for this bit of introspection, masquerading as self-deprecating humor.

#37 George H. Smith

George H. Smith

$$$$$$

• VIP
  • 5,689 posts
  • Interests:Books, ideas, jazz, chess, and intelligent people

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

Still no more impatient than the average bear at a frozen ice hole, waiting patiently for literary or or other Book Reading to emerge from the teeming multitudes of literate, knowledgeable OL posters. Perhaps from the ones who claim to have read? know more? have forgotten? more than I will ever know. I guess it was all troll- bluster and I've forgotten more really good books than ND and George will ever read. or have even heard of.... :D :huh: :wacko: :blink:

If you are going to bait me, you will need to come up with something that is at least in the realm of possibility.

Ghs

#38 PDS

PDS

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

I have just finished Massie's Catherine the Great. If you are a fan of Massie's other works on Russian history, this will not disappoint. Catherine was, inter alia, pen pals with Voltaire, for instance, and otherwise an ardent student of the Enlightenment. Great reading for the lay reader/fan of history in general, and the Romanov dynasty in particular.

#39 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:34 AM

Still no more impatient than the average bear at a frozen ice hole, waiting patiently for literary or or other Book Reading to emerge from the teeming multitudes of literate, knowledgeable OL posters. Perhaps from the ones who claim to have read? know more? have forgotten? more than I will ever know. I guess it was all troll- bluster and I've forgotten more really good books than ND and George will ever read. or have even heard of.... :D :huh: :wacko: :blink:

If you are going to bait me, you will need to come up with something that is at least in the realm of possibility.

Ghs

Did Phil read the books he's forgotten?

--Brant
and if forgotten how does he know he's forgotten--or read them or not or were "really good" or not or why would someone forget a "really good" book?

#40 Ninth Doctor

Ninth Doctor

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

Phil wrote:
Or maybe I'm on tranquilizers? If rape is inevitable, just relax and enjoy it. **of course, that could change in a heartbeat
end quote

Is that YOUR fantasy? You just might be a redneck if you say the above. Goober, I am not a feminist but that is just not funny though it was briefly, snicker-worthy back in 1955.

Bad taste indeed, and it called to mind a bad scene from a bad movie. This captures the fumbling incompetent Phil quite well, in fact. Enjoy!

Prandium gratis non est

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users