324 replies to this topic

#321 George H. Smith

George H. Smith

$$$$$$

• VIP
  • 5,684 posts
  • Interests:Books, ideas, jazz, chess, and intelligent people

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

“Liberty and Property!” The Sons of Liberty and Resistance to the Stamp Act, Part 1

George H. Smith recounts the violent reaction to the Stamp Act, a tax on paper goods levied against the American colonies in 1765.

The L.org Podcast of my Cato Essay #7 (Dec. 13, 2011) is now available.

Ghs

#322 Samson Corwell

Samson Corwell

$$$$

• Members
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:science, government, (geo)politics

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

“Liberty and Property!” The Sons of Liberty and Resistance to the Stamp Act, Part 1

George H. Smith recounts the violent reaction to the Stamp Act, a tax on paper goods levied against the American colonies in 1765.

The L.org Podcast of my Cato Essay #7 (Dec. 13, 2011) is now available.

Ghs

How central would you say the concept of property is to freedom, George? I'm someone who likes Enlightenment ideas, but I've always skipped the bits about property because they never seemed very interesting to me.
There is still truth even when we are wrong.
The limit of thought as a function of time as time approaches infinity equals the truth.
Anti-Machiavellian.
Deontologist.
Anti-Tenther, pro-Ninther.
"Liberty has never come from the government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of the government. The history of government is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is the history of the limitation of government, not the increase of it." ― Woodrow Wilson
I like to think of myself as having a unique perspective on matters.

#323 George H. Smith

George H. Smith

$$$$$$

• VIP
  • 5,684 posts
  • Interests:Books, ideas, jazz, chess, and intelligent people

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

Social Laws, Part 7

Smith discusses some controversial features of praxeology, as defended by Ludwig von Mises.

My Cato Essay #142 is now up.

Ghs

#324 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,501 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:02 PM

The official Objectivist 1960s position through Nathaniel Branden was rejection of praxeology while generally embracing von Mises. This was without elaboration. I think it was in a book review in The Objectivist Newsletter of Human Action.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#325 Samson Corwell

Samson Corwell

$$$$

• Members
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:science, government, (geo)politics

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

Social Laws, Part 7

Smith discusses some controversial features of praxeology, as defended by Ludwig von Mises.

My Cato Essay #142 is now up.

Ghs

Praxeology may have its place, but many of its distinction, such as between "government" and "the market" are just too flimsy and superficial to be of use. Not on that, but it's become a fertile soil for all sorts of nonsense.
There is still truth even when we are wrong.
The limit of thought as a function of time as time approaches infinity equals the truth.
Anti-Machiavellian.
Deontologist.
Anti-Tenther, pro-Ninther.
"Liberty has never come from the government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of the government. The history of government is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is the history of the limitation of government, not the increase of it." ― Woodrow Wilson
I like to think of myself as having a unique perspective on matters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users