246 replies to this topic

#241 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 14,330 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

Two indented quotes. the first began "This mixed system of opinion. .. . " The second: "It was this opinion . . . . " They seem to lack the flowery grace and power of his other quotes.

--Brant

edit: I guess after reading them a few more times they could be Burke as such

Edited by Brant Gaede, 28 March 2014 - 05:33 PM.

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--Libertarian--objectivist Objectivist, not an Objectivist Objectivist

#242 George H. Smith

George H. Smith

$$$$$$

• VIP
  • 5,555 posts
  • Interests:Books, ideas, jazz, chess, and intelligent people

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

Edmund Burke, Intellectuals, and the French Revolution: Part 4

Smith explains the defense of rights and other abstract political principles given by James Mackintosh, one of Burke’s most effective critics.

My Cato Essay #121 is now up.

Ghs

#243 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 14,330 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

They don't teach this stuff in college--do they?

--Brant

if they do they don't do it enough leaving George to wallow in his good works, or--why Ayn Rand isn't enough

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--Libertarian--objectivist Objectivist, not an Objectivist Objectivist

#244 George H. Smith

George H. Smith

$$$$$$

• VIP
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

Edmund Burke, Intellectuals, and the French Revolution, Part 5

Smith explains why Edmund Burke opposed abstract rights and why James Mackintosh defended them.

My Cato Essay #122 is now up.

Ghs

#245 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 14,330 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

Looking forward to more Mackintosh.

It's simple enough to me. Natural rights inhere in a human being for they are respecting human, volitional, nature. Next to that we have government. We can posit that, like climate (heh), government is always changing either to more respecting these rights--and protecting them--or is going the other way, particularly or generally. Ergo: we encourage and insist on government dedicated to more respecting human rights. It's not that we carve out or up the government and throw it away aside from gross tyranny (how did that happen?), but that we keep kicking it in its moral ass with our moral foot.

I am not, of course, representing any of George's ideas except coincidentally. And George is writing about Burke and Mackintosh, not George and me.

--Brant

#246 George H. Smith

George H. Smith

$$$$$$

• VIP
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

Looking forward to more Mackintosh.

It's simple enough to me. Natural rights inhere in a human being for they are respecting human, volitional, nature. Next to that we have government. We can posit that, like climate (heh), government is always changing either to more respecting these rights--and protecting them--or is going the other way, particularly or generally. Ergo: we encourage and insist on government dedicated to more respecting human rights. It's not that we carve out or up the government and throw it away aside from gross tyranny (how did that happen?), but that we keep kicking it in its moral ass with our moral foot.

I am not, of course, representing any of George's ideas except coincidentally. And George is writing about Burke and Mackintosh, not George and me.

--Brant

I plan to discuss your views in Part 38 of the series. I may get to my own views before that. 8-)

#247 George H. Smith

George H. Smith

$$$$$$

• VIP
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

Edmund Burke, Intellectuals, and the French Revolution, Part 6

Smith concludes this series with more observations about James Mackintosh’s defense of natural rights.

My Cato Essay #123 is now up.

Ghs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Nightingale-Conant