Pretty much a must-see.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rich Engle

Rich Engle

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 2,863 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Religion, Psychology, Chess, Music, Spirituality.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:55 PM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1466072/

You can see this on Netflix, for sure. An excellent documentary about William S. Burroughs, one of the core members of the Beat writers. Very good.

rde

Visit My Blog!

beyondevenbatcountry.blogspot.com

"There is no way that writers can be tamed and rendered civilized or even cured. the only solution known to science is to provide the patient with an isolation room, where he can endure the acute stages in private and where food can be poked in to him with a stick." -- Robert A. Heinlein

#2 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 16,418 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:34 AM

Didn't he shoot his wife in the head a la William Tell--killing her?

Take his drugs and shove it.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#3 Rich Engle

Rich Engle

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:33 AM

That's pretty shallow, Brant, I dare say. But yes, he did do that. He killed her. But that doesn't really take away from his writing, does it?

rde
Just completed the D.A.R.E. program ("Drugs Are Really Excellent")

Visit My Blog!

"There is no way that writers can be tamed and rendered civilized or even cured. the only solution known to science is to provide the patient with an isolation room, where he can endure the acute stages in private and where food can be poked in to him with a stick." -- Robert A. Heinlein

#4 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 16,418 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

That's pretty shallow, Brant, I dare say. But yes, he did do that. He killed her. But that doesn't really take away from his writing, does it?

rde

I'm pretty broad minded but he has nothing to do with anything that can be considered part of an Objectivist culture.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#5 George H. Smith

George H. Smith

$$$$$$

• VIP
  • 5,725 posts
  • Interests:Books, ideas, jazz, chess, and intelligent people

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:01 AM

rde

I'm pretty broad minded but he has nothing to do with anything that can be considered part of an Objectivist culture.

--Brant

I don't mean to be overly contentious (or maybe I do), but what is "an Objectivist culture"?

Ghs

#6 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 16,418 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:20 AM

rde

--Brant

I don't mean to be overly contentious (or maybe I do), but what is "an Objectivist culture"?

Ghs

Constructive, not destructive. Creation, not negation. The celebration of human ability and individualism. Freedom and the striving for happiness.

--Brant

#7 Rich Engle

Rich Engle

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:09 AM

I guess I don't wanna be in that club, then. Yeah, Ghs, it seems like a contradiction in terms, no? I'm going to attribute this to Brant, who I trust, and him having a slip over the slippery-duper slope of what we dare to call reason, or, at the least, not being insane.

Meanwhile, Behold My Great Art<tm>. I'm on travel, and got bored, so what I did was take a thing from The Church of the SubGenius and run some nice prints on photo paper. It's got the eye, the pyramid, and everthing! I'll put one up, hold on, meanwhile you guys should suit up for a Brazilian Strap Match.

I think Brant will have an edge on you, George--but it is hard to tell, once you enter the wrestling arena, no??
http://online.wsj.co...2027859286.html

Visit My Blog!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users