Vicious misrepresenting smear of Ayn Rand

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sjw

sjw

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,718 posts
  • Interests:Individual rights, politics, physics, epistemology.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:29 PM

The Atlas Shrugged movie sure seems to be letting loose the cockroaches:

http://www.alternet...._killers?page=e

Shayne

#2 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,634 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

Worst I've seen. It wasn't a movie review in the least. Prior the worst was the racist-collectivist one from the U.K. At least that was a real movie review. All we can say about Hickman is it was the unfortunate marriage of depravity with a young genius who had a lot to learn trying to find content to work with. Rand did not go on to be a serial killer so she does not deserve a review that treats her as if she was one.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#3 Michael Stuart Kelly

Michael Stuart Kelly

$$$$$$

• Root Admin
  • 20,388 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about this guy.

Hickman wasn't a serial killer, so that dude's facts are wrong in his headline. Hickman brutally killed a little girl, but there was no "serial" to it.

Anyway, Ames is a loon of the first order.

Look at this, from this very month's pickings.

He thinks the Hoveround is a Tea Party conspiracy!

Hoveround: The Tea Party Death Mobile
By Mark Ames
The Exiled
April 14, 2011

From the article:

To all my fellow under-55-ers: If you want to know why we have to fund the over-55-ers' full Medicare and Social Security benefits, leaving nothing for the rest of us, here's your answer: All those taxes have to pay for today's Tea Partiers to ride around on these Hoverounds.

Sounds like a serious problem...

And I don't mean the Hoveround...

:)

btw - Does anyone want a guy like this to say something good about Ayn Rand? I sure don't.

Michael

Know thyself...

#4 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,053 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, what else is there?

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:35 PM

Anyway, Ames is a loon of the first ordee.

Michael

Dear Sir,

We object to your characterization of Mr. Ames and similar deranged individuals as a loon.

The loon is a peaceful fowl which has never been known to raise its distinctive voice in delusional invective. Admittedly it is not the highest mentally-abled of our peaceful lakeside creatures but it does not deserve to be even cybernetically associated with the likes of Mr. Ames, who probably owns a speedboat, we know the type.

Empathetically,

Harold Elizabeth Parayanamalingam-Urg
Director of Political Correctness
Royal Canadian Mint

#5 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,053 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, what else is there?

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:07 PM

I came across a site called "Ayn Rand Myths" which gives canned answers to the most common misconceptions about her. Has anyone else seen it?

To me it seemed that the refutations were just as mythological as the false assertions.

If this is what young Objectivists rely on they are no better equipped than the Mormon missionaries.

#6 Chris Baker

Chris Baker

$$$$$

• Members
  • 640 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

I imagine if that had been published during Rand's life she could have sued. I think I have read that before. I have not read anything by Rand expressing admiration for this guy.

#7 Selene

Selene

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,982 posts
  • Interests:Chess, birding, football, baseball, minimalist backpacking, argumentation and debate, politics and philosophy, strategic board gaming, history, Rand, poetry, writing.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:23 PM

Folks:

If we go back to the thread when we all discussed what would happen when the movie was released, several posters predicted this specific attack.

So, before we whine and cry foul, Ayn did extol certain aspects of Hickman, Burns did refer to it and we all knew it was going to happen.

We expected it. We got it. Now let's move on.

Mark Ames Wiki

"After leaving Saratoga, Ames attended the University of California, Berkeley while living with his father (his parents had divorced when Ames was eight years old). He later described how his college years shaped his later political views in a section of the eXile book (The Exile: Sex, Drugs, and Libel in the New Russia): "I was a student at Berkeley in the late Reagan years. We had a lot of ideas back then, big dreams about getting famous and destroying the "Beigeocracy" that we thought stifled and controlled American Letters. Everything seemed possible then: world war, literary fame ... Anyway, something Really Big, with us at the center of it all. We'd ridicule the boring lefties, our enemies. We'd drop all sorts of drugs and go to the underground shows: Scratch Acid, Husker Du, Sonic Youth. It felt like something might happen, and soon." (excerpt available online)"

Adam
I think Brant pointed out that Hickman was not a serial killer also

Edited by Selene, 23 April 2011 - 04:24 PM.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice..and moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

#8 Ninth Doctor

Ninth Doctor

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 4,005 posts
  • Interests:Fiction authors: Umberto Eco, P.G. Wodehouse, Thomas Pynchon, Douglas Adams, Robert Heinlein

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

There's already a thread for this.

http://www.objectivi...indpost&p=92030

Plenty of authors write about serial killers, big deal.
Prandium gratis non est

#9 Jonathan

Jonathan

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

Shayne

Am I missing something? What does the Ames smear piece have to do with the AS movie? The Ames crap was published over a year ago. Many of us commented on it here.

J

#10 Jonathan

Jonathan

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

There's already a thread for this.

http://www.objectivi...indpost&p=92030

Plenty of authors write about serial killers, big deal.

You beat me by three minutes.

J

#11 Selene

Selene

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,982 posts
  • Interests:Chess, birding, football, baseball, minimalist backpacking, argumentation and debate, politics and philosophy, strategic board gaming, history, Rand, poetry, writing.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:44 PM

Shayne

Shayne:

This is from Feb. 26, 2010 well before the movie. I assumed from your post it was current, but as ND just pointed out, Grteybeard started a thread a while ago.

Adam
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice..and moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

#12 Michael Stuart Kelly

Michael Stuart Kelly

$$$$$$

• Root Admin
  • 20,388 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:49 PM

Dayaamm!

You guys are right.

I remembered doing the topic, but I didn't remember the piece.

Shows you just how much of an impression this piece of literature made the first time around. At least on me.

Michael

Know thyself...

#13 sjw

sjw

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,718 posts
  • Interests:Individual rights, politics, physics, epistemology.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

I don't think I saw the older thread. And the smear was so nasty and dishonest I figured it must have been motivated by recent events. Maybe it was motivated by the Tea Party.

Shayne

#14 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,634 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:13 PM

I don't remember that.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#15 Selene

Selene

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,982 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:31 PM

I don't remember that.

--Brant

You are correct it was Ellen Stuttle here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users