Atlas Shrugged First Weekend

Selene

Folks:

In my e-mail:

THANK YOU.

After an incredible opening weekend, it would appear it's time to expand. Opening in only 300 theaters, Atlas Shrugged pulled in 1.67 million dollars averaging $5,590 per theater - 3rd only to Rio and Scream 4 in averages.

Adam

Great Job and just a beginning

Adam,

I also read a report that gives your number. It included a nice little tidbit. AS Part 1 is being expanded to 1,000 theaters.

Michael

I wish you gentlemen would give a link to your sources so we can follow ourselves!

I think that the actress playing Dagny did a creditable job. One wishes that opportunities would have been utilized to show that true business people who are driven by the profit motive can also be humanitarians. We shouldn't give the moral high ground to the mystic altruist collectivists. They indoctrinate children to be other oriented while inducing guilt in them. On the other hand those of us who value our own lives and have not succumbed to the nonsense of the religionists can value others.

> The second weekend is going to be the real test [Chris B]

Yes it is. If not everyone has seen it who intends to, if there is lots of 'buzz' on websites and blogs and in the news, that means the number could actually increase rather than the typical 'second week dropoff'.

If there is second week dropoff, the movie will be pulled because the first weekend's numbers only place it number 14 in movie box offic.

Edited by Philip Coates

http://www.economicp...part-1-has.html

"I read the book a long time ago so I "get the movie". But, it is hard for me to understand what the reaction will be to those who have never read any of Rand's work."

Shayne

It is a mystery story, and it does grab a persons attention, as this gentleman's wife's reaction:

"Given the reaction of my Taiwanese wife, who is neither a Randian nor familiar with the book, I'd say the most gripping part of the movie is the mysterious disappearances. When the "trench coated man" showed up for Wyatt, I could hear her whisper "no!"

That reaction seemed appropriate to me both from the uneasiness in the book and the movie over the disappearances, and the question is not really answered until the end of the movie."

If there is second week dropoff, the movie will be pulled because the first weekend's numbers only place it number 14 in movie box offic.

It got very good per theater numbers, the fact that it came in 14th in total means nothing since it wasn’t on thousands of screens. If the film is putting asses in the seats it should continue playing. Speaking of, have you gone to see it yet?

'Atlas Shrugged: Part I' Derails?

This "site" and article by Brandon Gray is interesting. He appears to knock the film, but I found some of his "data" interesting. Particularly the six percent

(6%) drop off from Friday to Saturday.

Wiki link to the info on his site

It appears that:

Box Office Mojo is a website that tracks box office revenue in a systematic, algorithmic way. Brandon Gray started the site in 1999 and claims to now receive over two million monthly visitors.[1]

In July 2008, the website was purchased by Amazon.com through its subsidiary the Internet Movie Database.[2][3]

Now that is something I did not know!

> Speaking of, have you gone to see it yet?

No.

Oh c'mon! Quit scrapping with GHS, JR et al and get out there and see it. Even Comrade Sonia has seen it, after publicly expressing her hopes that it would fail.

http://blog.dianahsieh.com/2011/04/atlas-shrugged-part-1-my-review.html

> Speaking of, have you gone to see it yet?

No.

Oh c'mon! Quit scrapping with GHS, JR et al and get out there and see it. Even Comrade Sonia has seen it, after publicly expressing her hopes that it would fail.

http://blog.dianahsi...-my-review.html

And this teasing little ...

"philosopherass" is to be given some credibility...why?

Carol: Dr. Dr. has provided handwriting and hand wringing for your analysis.

Edited by Selene

Thanks, ND, obviously keeping you happy would be my main motivation.

If keeping me happy motivates you to go, so be it. Take your own advice about using this to meet people.

http://www.theatlasphere.com/columns/110414-coates-building-community.php

This weekend the Atlas Shrugged movie is hitting theaters across the nation, presenting us with a rare opportunity that is very analogous to what the Tea Party crowd experienced. Having started many groups, I have suggestions about how to leverage the movie to meet like-minded people in your area.

First, advertise yourself and your values. Get a highly visible type of apparel, perhaps a cap, button, or a t-shirt. Bear in mind, people can’t see a button or t-shirt if others are in the way or if it’s covered up.

Whatever you choose should indicate at a single glance that you are an Ayn Rand fan, not just one of the multitude curious about a movie with an odd title. Few words. No long-winded quotes. Not obscure or too cutesy.

Credibility? I only brought her up because she scrapped with Phil in the past. The idea is get Phil to plunk down a few bucks and spend the couple hours seeing the film. ASAP. If that means comparing Phil to Comrade Sonia, to the former's detriment, so be it.

Credibility? I only brought her up because she scrapped with Phil in the past. The idea is get Phil to plunk down a few bucks and spend the couple hours seeing the film. ASAP. If that means comparing Phil to Comrade Sonia, to the former's detriment, so be it.

Ah ha. Good idea. I withdraw my question.

I know nothing of the Orlando or even St Pete as far as theaters go, but as for Tampa itself found it best for me to go to the Citrus Park theater as it showed from noon on, and the price was reasonable... however, this is also because have no transportation other than the city buses... otherwise it would had been the Hyde Park Cinebistro, which is upscale, plays in the evening, costs double, and was the original independent theater to offer the movie here [it, or rather its predecessor, also opened We The Living when it played way back some years ago]...

It's amusing to see Comrade Sonia giving such a negative review of the Atlas Shrugged movie, especially in light of her past gaga appraisals of Serenity/Firefly. Good lord.

J

It's amusing to see Comrade Sonia giving such a negative review of the Atlas Shrugged movie, especially in light of her past gaga appraisals of Serenity/Firefly. Good lord.

I thought she had it set up so you had to sign up and pay to actually hear her opinion. You can only overpay.

Shew, anyway I'm still smarting from the behavior of...well never mind it's been moved off this thread, it's best it stays off. Here's a couple new clips about the movie:

[]

[]

Did you notice that she and the ever-firm hubby will not be attending OCon this year for "various reasons", so the only chance for the Noodleflock to meet them will be at the NoodleCon next month?

Interesting....

Did you notice that she and the ever-firm hubby will not be attending OCon this year for "various reasons", so the only chance for the Noodleflock to meet them will be at the NoodleCon next month?

Careful, this is how rumors start. Soon you'll have you know who wagging his finger your way and accusing you of "smuggling in" an argument or some such.

http://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10390&view=findpost&p=130795

Now this is really excellent news -

How 'Atlas Shrugged' Shocked Hollywood's Marketing Machine

"'Shocking,' one executive said about the healthy business the low-budget film has been doing considering its 'awful' marketing plan. Awful or not, business has been brisk enough for producers Harmon Kaslow and John Aglialoro to expand from 299 theaters to 425 this weekend and to 1,000 by the end of the month, they told The Hollywood Reporter on Tuesday."

I am even more optimistic, now, than I was on our first threads about how well this movie would do at the box office.

Adam