The Time is NOW to Help the Movie Suceed

I just got this excellent and timely email from The Atlas Society --->

The Atlas Shrugged Movie—A Call to Action

From David Kelley and Edward Hudgins

With less than a month to go until the theatrical release of Atlas Shrugged Part 1, we urge all donors and friends of The Atlas Society to help make it a success.

The film was made as an independent project. It does not have a major studio to promote and distribute it. While independence gave the producers freedom to create a true adaptation of Ayn Rand's great novel, it also makes distribution a bootstrap operation.

For the opening weekend, April 15-17, the producers are booking the film into twelve major target markets—Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Miami, Nashville, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, and Los Angeles—with multiple theaters in most areas. With a good turnout that first weekend, theaters showing the film will extend its run and theaters in other markets will be more likely to book the film for the weeks that follow.

Filling those theaters April 15-17 is the first hurdle the film must clear if it is to achieve the impact that it can and should have.

Both of us have seen the film at advance screenings. We can say without reservation that it is not only true to the novel in plot and theme, but also a beautiful, powerful film in its own right. We know you are as eager to see the film as we are. It has been a long wait.

But this call to action concerns the wider impact the film can have in our culture and politics. Film is the predominant art form of our era. It has always seemed obvious that a film adaptation of Atlas Shrugged, if well-made, could bring its message to a wider audience. Well, the producers have delivered a well-made film. Now we can help them reach that audience.

With less than a month to go, it is important that we act in an effective and coordinated way. Here are five steps you can take now to make a difference:

1) Purchase advanced tickets.

If you live in one of the market areas where the film will open, buy tickets for the opening weekend (April 15 to 17, 2011) as soon as possible. Advanced ticket sales are an indication of demand. Everyone's watching. Let's sell out early.

Currently booked theaters are listed here. Tickets are already on sale at these theaters.

If you live near one of the markets where the film will open, don't wait for it to come to your neighborhood. Get together with friends, trek to the nearest venue where it's playing, and make it a movie night on opening weekend.

If you would like to purchase a block of tickets or hold a "special event" at one of the theaters playing the film, contact the film's producers.

2) Sign up for the newsletter.

Go to the film's official "Get Involved" page and sign up for the newsletter. That is the most efficient way for the producers to send you news and information.

3) Promote the film through Facebook.

Go to the film's Official Facebook fan page.

a) If you're not a Facebook member, sign up!

b) Click on the "Like" button for the film's page.

c) Click on the "Events" icon in the sidebar, then click on the "Opening Night" link for the area closest to you, and hit the "I'm attending" button. You won't be purchasing a ticket but indicating your desire to see the movie. You will then receive updates from the producers about your city's event. You will also be able to see who else is attending, and discuss the details of the event.

d) Share your city's event on your own Facebook page! Click on the event, then choose the "share" hyperlink beneath the title. This will post the event on your own wall and share it with anyone in your network who is not yet connected to The Atlas Shrugged Movie.

4) Spread the word and make some noise!

Word of mouth is the most powerful weapon in our arsenal for drumming up interest in seeing the movie.

a) Email information about the film to people in your email address book;

b) Engage in online discussions about the film;

c) Tell people in your work place and community about the film, especially if you're engaged with Tea Party activists, political coalitions, and the like;

d) Make your immediate and extended family aware of the film and have a family night at the movies.

e) Buy some merchandise! The Atlas Shrugged movie Web site is now selling t-shirts, coffee mugs, mouse pads and more.

These are a great way to start a conversation with someone. But even if no one comments, people will still notice and think about the upcoming movie. Plus, it's a fun memento and a direct way to support the film.

Along with the other Atlas Society staff, we have been helping the producers develop and implement their promotion strategy. Now we need your help for the final leg of the race.

Some advocates of liberty have come out strongly for the film, recognizing its power to convey the moral grandeur of producers in a capitalist system and the squalid immorality of those who would shackle them. But others have carped about the few shortcomings of this production. The Ayn Rand Institute has done nothing to promote the film.

It is up to us, the open Objectivists, to speak for Objectivism. We understand the meaning of Rand's work but also know that it must be conveyed in forms adapted to new audiences and new media. It is up to us to stand and be counted… to help this film spread the word on a scale beyond anything we have imagined before. But first we must cross the hurdle of the theatrical release.

Success at the opening will be determined, not by the millions of people this film may some day reach, but by the thousands who buy tickets now. That's incredible leverage. Let's use it!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the letter b followed by a close parenthesis comes out as a snarky smiley wearing shades....don't blame TAS for that!

the letter b followed by a close parenthesis comes out as a snarky smiley wearing shades....don't blame TAS for that!

Sorry. I won't be driving 300 miles to accommodate some ass who apparently knows nothing about Texas except that there's a place called Dallas in it. (Maybe s/he figures J. R. Ewing will be there?)

JR

Phil,

It's a software thing.

You have to disable the smileys when you use a b with parentheses right after it.

Its a check box you have to uncheck beneath the text field before you post.

I'll fix the original.

Michael

EDIT: Here's the full procedure:

1. Make sure you "Use Full Editor."

2. Click on the link entitled "Click to configure post options."

3. Uncheck "Enable emoticons?"

I live in Ann Arbor and among our local theaters is the Goodrich chain which has theaters in Illinois, Indiana, and beyond. Goodrich's website lists Atlas Shrugged under Coming Attractions for April 15. I went to my local theater and found that I can buy tickets the Wednesday before.

I recommend that you simply google for your local theaters and check their websites and if convenient, stop in and ask. It's easy.

The Ayn Rand Institute has done nothing to promote the film.

At least they haven’t called for a boycott! Y’know It might be better if they did, there’d be fewer undesirables leaving a bad impression on newbies. Imagine Ed Cline pontificating about another pinnacle of cultural corruption as people are leaving the theater.

Success at the opening will be determined, not by the millions of people this film may some day reach, but by the thousands who buy tickets now. That's incredible leverage. Let's use it!

I’ll almost certainly be there Friday April 15, at AMC Sunset Place theater in South Miami, sometime that weekend for sure, with whatever entourage I can muster. They don’t have it available for advance sale, I just checked.

http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/theaters

The Ayn Rand Institute has done nothing to promote the film.

At least they haven’t called for a boycott! Y’know It might be better if they did, there’d be fewer undesirables leaving a bad impression on newbies. Imagine Ed Cline pontificating about another pinnacle of cultural corruption as people are leaving the theater.

I’ll almost certainly be there Friday April 15, at AMC Sunset Place theater in South Miami, sometime that weekend for sure, with whatever entourage I can muster. They don’t have it available for advance sale, I just checked.

http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/theaters

Come on Ninth - now we know you're in Florida - invite Phil and let him have the bed - he'll share one of the socks with you!

invite Phil and let him have the bed - he'll share one of the socks with you!

The socks? I don’t know what that means, but now I’m picturing him stuffing his dirty socks in my mouth, sealing it with duct tape, and proceeding to “go medieval” as they said in that Tarantino movie. So no, I’m not even offering him a lawn chair.

An actual link to this:

Currently booked theaters are listed here. Tickets are already on sale at these theaters.

would be helpful.

... OK do it and post it here.

Oh, you meant that someone else should do the work.

The socks? I don’t know what that means, but now I’m picturing him stuffing his dirty socks in my mouth, sealing it with duct tape, and proceeding to “go medieval” as they said in that Tarantino movie. So no, I’m not even offering him a lawn chair.

FRATERNAL [

Dear Mr. Ordinal,

There are no socks and never have been. Listen carefully. You will buy 1000 tickets for a certain movie and open your home to fans of that movie who will identify themselves to you by secret signals. You will proceed to your nearest Home Hardware and buy materials to construct a Gulch to accommodate these fans. If you have leftover time and materials, you can build an ark and collect some newts and tree-toads, just in case.

Dr Coates will of course requre special accommodation, details to follow.

Sincerely,

A Friend

The socks? I don't know what that means, but now I'm picturing him stuffing his dirty socks in my mouth, sealing it with duct tape, and proceeding to "go medieval" as they said in that Tarantino movie. So no, I'm not even offering him a lawn chair.

Sincerely,

A Friend

What like a sheep?

An actual link to this:

would be helpful.

... OK do it and post it here.

That's negligent of you Michael, and your criticism is facile. You deleted my internal quote around the phrase "Currently booked theaters are listed here. Tickets are already on sale at these theaters" from Phil's post. It is obvious that the email sent to Phil contained a hyperlink at the word here. How it is, exactly, that I am supposed to hack Phil's email account to provide you with the content of that link is beyond me, but I did spend some time vainly looking for the information. Try aiming your criticism where it belongs.

The socks? I don't know what that means, but now I'm picturing him stuffing his dirty socks in my mouth, sealing it with duct tape, and proceeding to "go medieval" as they said in that Tarantino movie. So no, I'm not even offering him a lawn chair.

Sincerely,

A Friend

What like a sheep?

Who mentioned sheep? Only you, obviously just because of an avatar which could be associated with a certain classic TV episode involving sheep, or a certain character' s mother saying , ":It's not a sheep, is it"...no one else ever thought about sheep....only you, you have a twisted mind...baa, meh..............

That's negligent of you Michael, and your criticism is facile.

I supplied the link earlier. Geez. And now that Ted's switched from the Arrakis tabby cat avatar to that, well, whatever it is he's got now, I can no longer post a YouTube video of a cat fight by way of illustration.

Oh hell, I'll do it anyway.

That's negligent of you Michael, and your criticism is facile.

I supplied the link earlier. Geez. And now that Ted's switched from the Arrakis tabby cat avatar to that, well, whatever it is he's got now, I can no longer post a YouTube video of a cat fight by way of illustration.

Oh hell, I'll do it anyway.

Maybe it's the same link as the one you posted to all theaters, but not all theaters have tickets listed for sale as his quote implies. Him not having posted the link, how am I to know?

POST THE DAMN LINK, PHIL!

Edited by Ted Keer

Buy some merchandise! The Atlas Shrugged movie Web site is now selling t-shirts, coffee mugs, mouse pads and more...

Atlas Shrugged Merchandise

Posters, lapel pins, coffee mugs, t-shirts--and no bumper stickers??

One of the few times in my life when I would gladly put a bumper sticker on my car. . .

> but now I’m picturing him stuffing his dirty socks in my mouth, sealing it with duct tape

Now, ND, that's just a gratuitous attack on my character. They would be clean socks.

It is very important that the opening weekend is a big success. We have our tickets for the 5:00 show in Evanston. Please, if you have not already purchased your tickets, head on over to this Fandango link and get them. Many new theaters have been added since we purchased tix when they first went on sale. I want to see this movie become a big success. We've waited a long time for it.

Kat

Give me a lever long enough and I can move the world. A few hundred more people writing unpublished letters to the New York Times won't change the culture, but a few more hundred people at a closely-watched small theater will make a difference between this movie being forgotten to death and spreading to ten thousand theaters across the country.

Bumper stickers are available here. They were not created to promote the film but they will definitely serve that purpose.

375278578v10_480x480_Front.jpg364630165v3_480x480_Front.jpg

376569708v6_480x480_Front.jpg376563365v10_480x480_Front.jpg

The Café Press banner ad on OL says: 20% off $50+ with code TELL20

Galt/Rearden '12? Apparently whoever created this bumper sticker either never considered or didn't care that Galt was offered in Atlas Shrugged a position in many respects equivalent to the modern American presidency -- head of the Bureau of Economic Planning and National Resources or, as Mr. Thompson described the position, "economic dictator of the nation". Not surprisingly, Galt declined the offer. So why should anyone with any familiarity with Galt's character even contemplate that Galt would accept the position of political/economic/military dictator of the U.S., otherwise known as the presidency?

Martin