Ayn Rand Society

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 BaalChatzaf

BaalChatzaf

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 12,058 posts
  • Location:Currently residing in New Jersey, the Bad-a-Bing State.
  • Interests:mathematics, physics, alternative energy sources.

I am also involved in preparing recorded books for blind and dyslexic folks.

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:10 AM

Bob. I kind of think you are barking up the wrong tree here. Do you knowwww of Stephen's background in mathematics and physics?
To say he has one of the keenest minds on the entire planet would be an understatement.

I am well aware of that.  Half the books in my library are there because Stephen recommended them

אויב מיין באָבע האט בייצים זי וואָלט זיין מיין זיידע

#62 Jules Troy

Jules Troy

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Photography, 3d modelling, photoshop, digital mixed medium matte painting. Attempting to not piss everyone off.(mostly failing at that!)

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:00 AM

I have a friend that asked for help moving once(also named Bob). I thought " how hard could it be?" He lives like a hermit doesn't even own a T.V. and sleeps on a cot! He had a bunch of books mostly.
Thennnn he took me to his storage unit. It was fully 12' long lined with book shelves in both sides and a double row in the middle. All of them 8' tall and packkkked! I thought I had walked into the lost vault of Alexandria!
Somehow I think your library might be bigger!
He actually gave me a spare copy of Hobbes -Leviathan, a book on Mendelbrot fractals illustrated in nature, Market wizards, as well as Aristotle, and a few others for helping him out.

#63 Brant Gaede

Brant Gaede

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 17,565 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of stuff

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:32 PM

Every four feet is 2000 books, max.

--Brant

Rational Individualist, Rational self-interest, Individual Rights--limited government libertarian heavily influenced by Objectivism

#64 Stephen Boydstun

Stephen Boydstun

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,918 posts
  • Interests:Metaphysics; Theory of Concepts and Predication; Philosophy of Science and Mathematics; Philosophy of Mind; Foundations of Ethics; Physics; Mathematics; Biology; Cognitive Science

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:20 PM

. . .

On 27 December, ARS will have a session on the topic The Moral Basis of Capitalism: Adam Smith, the Austrians, and Ayn Rand. Presenters will be James Otteson, Peter Boettke, and Yaron Brook. The session will be chaired by James Lennox. The session will be 6:30–9:30 p.m. at the Marriott Philadelphia Downtown. Admission is registration, which unfortunately is steep if you’re not a member of APA.* The papers in this session will join earlier ARS papers in a future ARS book dealing with Rand’s political philosophy.

A couple dozen people attended the session. Greg Salmieri writes:

The papers were followed by a lively and far-ranging discussion, which included topics such as the relation between Rand’s morality and Aristotle’s, and the respective roles of empirical data and abstract argument in assessing moral and economic theories.

I am also pleased to report that our session at next year’s APA Eastern will concern racism and related issues, and that one of our panelists will be Jason D. Hill (De Paul University), whom some of you may know from his interesting article in Salon last year about Rand’s influence on his life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users