Happy New Year to and From Nicholas Dykes

caroljane

His friends here will be concerned to hear that Nick had a stroke over three weeks ago, but glad that is back home already and has recovered beautifully except for fatigue and some difficulty in reading. So he has asked me to pass the news along which I am doing belatedly! (my own technical difficulties I cannot excuse as being medical)/ his wonderful family are taking great care of him and I feel he will soon be back to work on his current novel and speaking for himself.

Very very best to all;from me too, soon I will be back on troll patrol and curbing your worst excesses!

Or encouraging them.

\\

Adam and Brant, sit down, I do not mean you!

Should have checked this thread before I started that new one...

See Mrs. McArthur has returned...

And what happens when Brant and I sit down?

What did you do, go to Domme school?

A...

• 3 months later...

I want to add an update to Nick's health.

He just sent me an email:

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry I haven't been in touch. I had a stroke on 24 Nov. I had 2 operations. Then I got pneumonia. Then I got an infection of the brain called ventriculitis. Quite frankly, I'm lucky to still be here. I was in and out of Intensive Care, five weeks in hospital altogether, then had to go back in again with a mini stroke called a TIA just a few days after being let out. Anyhow, I'm home again now and recovering slowly. I was weak as a kitten to begin with, slept a lot, and had great difficulty with my balance -- very wobbly walking. Things are better now but my short-term memory is not too good. Happily, my speech is alright and I have not been left with any disabilities other than weakness, which should improve. My poor wife Rachel had a miserable time for weeks, not knowing how I'd be from day to day and with tubes sprouting all over my body. As for me, I was largely unconscious and remember very little! When I first woke up and was told what had happened, all I said was: 'what a bugger!'

In case anybody is interested, please could you put an informative note in an appropriate place on OL, though I'm likely to remain an inactive member I'm afraid.

I hope all is well with you.

Best,

Nick

At times like this I wish I were religious because I would like to pray for Nick.

He's a good man. One of the better ones among us.

Kat and I hope he recovers soon.

Michael

Best wishes to you Nick!

I know how he feels, I had a heart attack when I was 33. No warning at all 100% blockage left circumflex artery. They figure it was a blood clot as all my other arteries were clear as a bell. I was down for 3months and took about 1 year to feel normal. Sleeping lots is normal as it is physiologically induced by your body to speed the healing process. Depression is also normal for a time as it forces you to slow down and makes you want to sleep more. After you heal up it goes away.

One thing for sure, every day above ground is a good one!

Best wishes Nick!