O'biwan's Justice Department Will Not Give German Home School Family Asylum/sanctuary!!

Selene

The U.S. Department of Justice has revealed in a court filing it agrees with the philosophy of the German government that bureaucrats can punish homeschooling parents.

And the agency explained parental rights to keep their children free from instruction that violates their faith essentially are negligible when the government’s goal is an “open society.”

The arguments were made in a pleading before the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that encourages the judges to send a German homeschooling family, the Romeikes, back to Germany where members likely would face persecution.

“The goal in Germany is for an ‘open, pluralistic society,’” wrote the government’s pleading, signed by Senior Litigation Counsel Robert N. Markle in Washington. So, he said, there is a law requiring attendance by all at government schools and punishment is levied against anyone failing to comply, whether they are truant or have religious objections to the indoctrination at the public schools.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/07/doj-governments-can-punish-homeschoolers/

The U.S. Department of Justice has revealed in a court filing it agrees with the philosophy of the German government that bureaucrats can punish homeschooling parents.

And the agency explained parental rights to keep their children free from instruction that violates their faith essentially are negligible when the government’s goal is an “open society.”

The arguments were made in a pleading before the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that encourages the judges to send a German homeschooling family, the Romeikes, back to Germany where members likely would face persecution.

“The goal in Germany is for an ‘open, pluralistic society,’” wrote the government’s pleading, signed by Senior Litigation Counsel Robert N. Markle in Washington. So, he said, there is a law requiring attendance by all at government schools and punishment is levied against anyone failing to comply, whether they are truant or have religious objections to the indoctrination at the public schools.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/07/doj-governments-can-punish-homeschoolers/

Germany's rules for school attendance are internal matters of the German State. You can regard the Obama decision as one which avoids the -appearance- of interfering with the internal affairs of the German State. Yes, I know this is a bull shit answer, but stuff like that permeates diplomatic doings and protocols. Government is 90 percent bullshit and, if goo fortune prevails, 10 percent protection of life and property.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Germany's rules for school attendance are internal matters of the German State. You can regard the Obama decision as one which avoids the -appearance- of interfering with the internal affairs of the German State.

So when we give asylum to political refuges we are being consistent?

Germany's rules for school attendance are internal matters of the German State. You can regard the Obama decision as one which avoids the -appearance- of interfering with the internal affairs of the German State.

So when we give asylum to political refuges we are being consistent?

Not very. Either we should make refuge a general policy or not give anyone refuge unless there is a pressing military reason to do so.

No one is going to save our sorry asses, so why should we save anyone else's sorry ass?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Somewhere we have to draw the line. I don't think there is any simple all-or-none policy position we can take. Should we offer asylum to people from India who illegally kill a cow?

Although I am sympathetic with the desire of some German's to home school their children, the question is whether the government requirement for public education and the attendant punishment for violating the law constitute such a horrible violation of individual rights that we should grant people who oppose the law asylum. Maybe we should, but that is a case that has to be made.

Darrell

Speaking of justice Darrell, I see you are from Colorado. I don't suppose you are a hockey fan, but your team just got the best young player on the planet in the draft. I am wondering though if there is any local frustration because they did not pick Seth Jones, also rated best by many and a Denver native, son of a former Nugget. Or is it a non-issue there?

Sorry for offtopicking, Adam.

• 10 months later...

Verily, I bring you good news...

"A family that fled Germany in order to homeschool their children was about to be deported by the Department of Homeland Security.

Now the DHS has reversed its stand. The family may remain in Tennessee.

Homeschooling has been illegal in Germany for a century. The German state does not want competition for control over the minds of children. The U.S. Department of Justice agrees."

Read more at http://teapartyeconomist.com/2014/05/20/german-homeschool-family-can-stay/#0UbJTM8kxslutB4k.99

Interestingly, Eric "the anti-white racist" Holder argued:

Last March the Home School Legal Defense Fund (HSLDF), the organization defending the Romeikes, created a White House petition asking President Obama to protect the family’s asylum. Obama declined to respond, but his Department of Justice sure went on the offensive.

In its June 26, 2013, brief to the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, Obama’s DOJ essentially argued that the German government is right to take children away from their parents and force them into government schools because “teaching tolerance to children of all backgrounds helps to develop the ability to interact as a fully functioning citizen of Germany.”

Adam,

That's very good news. Here is an May 4 article from TheBlaze about it: ‘The Romeikes Can Stay!!!’: Shocking 180 in the Case of German Home-Schooling Family.

To recap a bit, this case was a stupid one because the family had initially filed for asylum in the USA under religious freedom and was granted asylum in 2010. Then Eric Holder, in his collectivist wisdom, decided that was wrong and appealed the decision through the Department of Justice--he went out of his way to harass these folks--and won a ruling to have the entire family deported back to Germany where the Romeikes would certainly have lost custody of their children had the deportation been carried out.

It's weird to contemplate for an American, but homeschooling is illegal in Germany. And the Romeikes were essentially political criminals for refusing to put their children in the German government's education system. There are articles all over the Internet about this case.

The one you mentioned stated something very interesting. It was not the Department of Justice that backed off. It was the Department of Homeland Security that granted the Romeikes "indefinite deferred status.”

This tells me sparks are really flying backstage in the Obama administration. The Supreme Court refused to hear the case just one day before the Department of Homeland Security made the decision.

Because of the intense media scrutiny of this case, I can only imagine what went on in the wings. And I have little doubt Holder & Co. are pissed to the gills.

Also, the following quote from Holder's Department of Justice attorneys in their June 26, 2013, brief to the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals should give anyone who values liberty the chilly-willies. The brief basically said it is good for the German government to force German children into German government schools because:

“... teaching tolerance to children of all backgrounds helps to develop the ability to interact as a fully functioning citizen of Germany.”

It looks like Holder is just salivating to get that kind of indoctrination thinking into American education.

But somebody in DHS ain't buying it.

It's a shame I don't have time to dig...

Many on the conservative and libertarian side (from what I have read in the media) think this was a test case to set a precedent against homeschooling in the USA by undermining the religious freedom aspect of it. I doubt this will be the last attempt by Obama and Holder.

Michael

Thanks Michael.

The potential conflict between the agencies is indicative of a lack of leadership from the Chief [OMG what a racist term] Executive.

Different political appointees at the tops of the agencies then bring in their political people from their politcal orbits or states.

This is what many folks cannot "grasp" about how you entrench power in a system like ours.

I didn't get it either, until, the insurgent political "club," for lack of a better word, that I belonged/worked for took the mayoralty. Lindsay was the second "fusion" mayor in Democratically dominated NYC history. The first, being the Mayor who spoke eight (8) languages, Fiorello LaGuardia.

Our club was critical in his re-election in 1971 when he switched to Democrat, after being the second "fusion" mayor in NYC history. He was actively seeking the Presidency in the Democratic primaries.

I went in with my Objectivist Randian glow and succeded in reshaping policy.

However, in that journey, I saw the raw path to encyst your operatives into the structure.

Lindsay was, pretty much, a fully white progressive incompetent, quite similar to the current half white, half black, Frank Gorshen Star Trek figure that we have in office today.

Very instructive years for me.

A...

Adam said: "Lindsay was, pretty much, a fully white progressive incompetent, quite similar to the current half white, half black, Frank Gorshen Star Trek figure that we have in office today".

Frank Gorshen Star Trek figure..........I can't stop laughing.......spilled my coffee.

Oh, I remember Lindsay or as many called him, Lindsley.

He would have been perfect as a model for a low end retailer, like Korvettes, which frequently ran newspaper ads for cheap suits.