quick curiosity question #1

Has there been a CEO/founder of a company that has been able to successfully make the transition to a new technology. What I mean is, take Rockefeller, he was the man in kerosene but he didn't make the transition to electricity (for illumination) or to gasoline (as another use for oil). The company made the transition, sure, but Has any CEO been at the top of one business model and then followed the changing tides (thereby dropping what had made them successful) in favor or the "new" AND still been successful. In other words, if they shifted and failed, then it doesn't count and if the business did it without them it doesn't count.

Golden Age characters

Jay Gould: plank roads, tanning, finance, railroads, Union Pacific, mining, Western Union, transatlantic cables

Thomas Edison: duplex telegraphy, phonograph, lighting, telephones, motion picture camera, electromagnets, batteries

George Westinghouse: elevators, compressed air brakes, railway signaling, AC power distribution (with Nicola Tesla)

WWII era

Thomas J. Watson: cash registers, mechanical tabulating machines, electronic computers

Howard Hughes Jr: oilfield tools, movies, aircraft, TWA airline, deep sea marine salvage

William Shockley: electron multiplier, optimized convoys, radar bomb sights, diode, transistor

David Sarnoff: radio broadcasting networks, RKO movie studio, television, Voice of America, color TV

David Packard: sonar and radar devices, test & measurement gear, calculators, computers, printers

Wolf, I apologize if I wasn't clear. I'm looking for those who didn't just enter different fields, but those who entered fields that were the direct progeny of the field they were already in. So if I lived 100+ years ago and my business was candle making, then my field is illumination. When lamps were invented, did I see that as the new wave, leave candles behind and then become a top producer of lamps.

If I was a top seller and producer of horses, once cars were invented, did I leave horses behind and build a car factory.

A modern example would be the computer shift from a pure server/mainframe business to a desktop dominated one. IBM made the shift but did they do it under one CEO? The shift from land lines to wireless, as far as telecoms go, did the shift happen under one CEO (at each or any of the companies)

These would be examples of real foresight and I'm sure these people are out there but I just don't know them.

P.s. Edison was opposed to "talkies" so he didn't even make the logical shift