light bulbs communicate with computers

jts

search: light bulbs communicate with computers

I'm not making this up.

If I receive data or send data, I want control of it. I want to control what data I receive and what data I send. But who controls the light bulbs? The power company? If so, what devious purpose might they have in cahoots with government?

Add to this the smart meters and the modern computers that have hidden cameras. Smells like surveillance and control.

But who controls the light bulbs?

You obviously need to bone up on the better conspiracy theories! Never heard of Byron the Bulb?!?!

Byron, as he burns on, sees more and more of this pattern. He learns how to

make contact with other kinds of electric appliances, in homes, in factories and

out in the streets. Each has something to tell him. The pattern gathers in his

soul (
Seek
, as the core of the earlier carbon filament was known in Germany),

and the grander and clearer it grows, the more desperate Byron gets. Someday

he will know everything, and still be as impotent as before. His youthful dreams

of organizing all the bulbs in the world seem impossible now—the Grid is wide

open, all messages can be overheard, and there are more than enough traitors

out on the line. Prophets traditionally don’t last long—they are either killed

outright, or given an accident serious enough to make them stop and think, and

most often they do pull back. But on Byron has been visited an even better fate.

He is condemned to go on forever, knowing the truth and powerless to change

anything. No longer will he seek to get off the wheel. His anger and frustration

will grow without limit, and he will find himself, poor perverse bulb, enjoying

it. . . .

Thomas Pynchon,
Gravity's Rainbow
, page 654

A few months go by without my engaging in a flamewar with someone, and OL degenerates into threads about light bulbs. Would someone care to pick a fight? I am trying my best to quit smoking. I haven't been successful so far, though I have cut the number of cigarettes I smoke each day by more than half. But the effort has put me in a foul mood. A good fight might help cheer me up.

Ghs

How about some good light bulb jokes? I can only think of two old ones offhand:

How many libertarians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

None. The market will take care of it.

How many radical feminists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

That's not funny.

So how many Objectivists does it take to screw in a light bulb? I am here soliciting some answers, since I don't believe I have ever heard one before.

Ghs

Addendum: I just Googled "How many Objectivists does it take to screw in a light bulb" and got the following hits from the Rebirth of Reason site.

How many Objectivists does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. Objectivist lightbulbs never burn out, being an application of static electricity.

B. Objectivists voluntarily shut off all their lightbulbs twelve years ago rather than let collectivsts get free light as a secondary consequence.

C. An infinite number. Every time one gets close enough to do the work, a stranger talks him out of it.

D. How much money are you offering for the changing of a lightbulb? (... and that's gold, right?)

These are pretty crappy. Surely some clever OLer can do better than this.

Ghs

That's not funny.

So how many Objectivists does it take to screw in a light bulb? I am here soliciting some answers, since I don't believe I have ever heard one before.

Ghs

Addendum: I just Googled "How many Objectivists does it take to screw in a light bulb" and got the following hits from the Rebirth of Reason site.

A. Objectivist lightbulbs never burn out, being an application of static electricity.

B. Objectivists voluntarily shut off all their lightbulbs twelve years ago rather than let collectivsts get free light as a secondary consequence.

C. An infinite number. Every time one gets close enough to do the work, a stranger talks him out of it.

D. How much money are you offering for the changing of a lightbulb? (... and that's gold, right?)

Ghs

If you have to ask you're a looter and second hander and undoubtably use food stamps.

"News and Interesting Articles" is the name of this section.

You presented no news.

So there is no reason for this thread to be here.

Light bulbs communicating with computers was news to me.

But besides that, as I understood (or misunderstood) the name of the section, it doesn't need to be news. It could qualify for the section by being an interesting article instead of being news. I found light bulbs communicating with computers interesting; at first I thought maybe Alex Jones was bullshitting.

jts,

How is telling people to Google something a news article?

Michael

1. Highlight the words

light bulbs communicate with computers

and copy.

2. Paste them into your browser. Use ctrl v.

3. Search.

You will get some articles. Pick one or more.

http://sciencenetlin...talking-lights/

Is it really that hard?

Michael has shortened his fuse. Don't play "Hand Grenades" with him.

--Brant

That's not funny.

Ghs

Ghs

If it's Ayn Rand, one, unless she's with Nathaniel--then two. If it's L.P., quite a few--in fact, it can't be done.

--Brant

my lame beats your lame

search: light bulbs communicate with computers

I'm not making this up.

If I receive data or send data, I want control of it. I want to control what data I receive and what data I send. But who controls the light bulbs? The power company? If so, what devious purpose might they have in cahoots with government?

Add to this the smart meters and the modern computers that have hidden cameras. Smells like surveillance and control.

Generate your own electricity. Electric generators can be purchase for private use and ownership.

And be sure to take your meds and have your tin-foil cap tuned up on a regular basis. And, for goodness sake, do not look up. The spy sats have a filter to spot your image.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Waggish comments are so easy when you have nothing to contribute. You guys are embarrassing to read.

Back about 1989 or so, PC Today published a letter from me about the "Computer Symphony." You can tune a radio to play the resonant harmonies in your computer. Back then, the keyboard was the instrument, but if you were subtle you could hear the memory, also.

Of course the lightbulbs communicate with the computers. Try taking yourself off the grid. Double dog dare you... I read a science fiction story about a guy chased by The Net. Even as he cut all his lines, it read the resistances in the soil around his home.

Do not doubt it.