how many words?

algernonsidney

Thank you, Michael Stewart Kelly. While you did not know the answer, you did provide a helpful answer.

Chris,

Ouch. Puh-leeze...

It's Michael STUART Kelly, not Michael STEWART Kelly.

:)

Good luck on your novel.

If you want a morale-boosting vision (despite political disagreements), look to Robert Bidinotto. He just successfully published a thriller, Hunter. His Kindle price is about 4 bucks and he said he sold over 50,000 copies. Do the math. After fees and taxes, that comes to about 150 thousand smackaroonies.

You can live on that.

Good for him. Really, really good on him. May he do more.

You may need to learn a little about online promotion to do what he did (in addition to writing a book for a viable market), but it's not rocket science.

Keep us posted of your progress.

Michael

Thank you, Michael Stewart Kelly. While you did not know the answer, you did provide a helpful answer.

Chris,

Ouch. Puh-leeze...

It's Michael STUART Kelly, not Michael STEWART Kelly.

:smile:

Good luck on your novel.

If you want a morale-boosting vision (despite political disagreements), look to Robert Bidinotto. He just successfully published a thriller, Hunter. His Kindle price is about 4 bucks and he said he sold over 50,000 copies. Do the math. After fees and taxes, that comes to about 150 thousand smackaroonies.

You can live on that.

Good for him. Really, really good on him. May he do more.

You may need to learn a little about online promotion to do what he did (in addition to writing a book for a viable market), but it's not rocket science.

Keep us posted of your progress.

Michael

I have read some of Chris Baker's contributions on OL. I hope he is able to type his novel with the weight of those two enormous chips on his shoulders.

Chris,

If you are interested, I highly recommend Story Engineering by Larry Brooks.

I believe this is one of the most compatible books with Rand's form of writing you are going to find (except for the part about style). And I also believe he teaches writing competencies, like theme, story structure and so on much better than Rand ever did

Let's put it this way (and I truly believe this). If you use this book as a fiction-writing foundation, you will be able to add The Art of Fiction and The Romantic Manifesto by Rand on top of it with great value. I have found that just starting with Rand's books, or trying to model her writing (especially in light of her aggressive hyperbole when she gets rolling) to be totally stifling.

Seeking creativity while being intimidated do not mix when you are trying to tell a story. Brooks's principles allow you to set aside the intimidation and get nuggets of inspired gold on the art and craft of writing from Rand.

That's how it works for me. I am pretty please with my (so far unpublished) fiction-writing progress and I attribute a good portion of it to this.

Michael