Ayn Bran?

Ayn Bran?

The following video is funny, but it won't be to some people who are into Objectivism.

However, there is a hidden funny part that might appeal to them.

What's the hidden part that's so funny?

It's that the dorks who made this parody did so based on the same error they were trying to lampoon.

Anybody in O-Land knows how bigotry, initiating force, etc., are thought about. People into Rand detest these things. Yet these are the very things the dorks attributed to Ayn Rand.

Satirists lampoon bigotry like racism because they think it is despicable that a racist would attribute negative qualities to a person (or group of people) that are simply not there because of an unrelated quality (like skin color).

But that's exactly what they did to Rand in the video. They attributed racism (which is not there) to Rand because they didn't like her harsh rhetoric and anger (unrelated quality) and philosophy of rational selfishness (unrelated quality) and political philosophy (unrelated quality) and Russian accent (unrelated quality) and so on, which they also presented.

There are other things like that in the video, but once you see the first, you see the rest.

And, of course, the dorks didn't just target Rand. They targeted people who are into Rand. That's why political parodies are made in the first place. If the ideas lampooned are not influential, the parody is not funny. Who cares?

But misrepresenting a target as badly as this video does throws it into stereotyping and bigotry on a primary level. The only essential difference between this and, say, a minstrel show--other than the target, i.e., the other exists to laugh at blacks and not people into Rand--is that minstrel shows have been around a long time so they are familiar (although no longer performed). This is new so it is not familiar.

But the cognitive errors in both are identical. In other words, a parody presents observable mannerisms and unrelated qualities as a vehicle for also presenting negative qualities that don't exist in the target, making it seem like they are. And, as parody, the false negative qualities are focused on for the laughs.

I find that funny. I'm serious.

The dorks who made this thing are talented comedians, they are, but they are still dorks. In other words, they are the very dorks they are laughing at. And they probably don't even see it.

:smile:

Michael

Free advertising. It doth protesteth too much, so much it will get people curious.

Not even good satire, as that should hurt a little. Just funny, in a ridiculous way.

(Hey, she really is making inroads in the US, isn't she?)

I laughed, and then I got kinda mad.

I mean, that gun obviously wasn't that little girl's. And seriously, killing the boy because he asked is 100% stupid, and I'm certain Rand would have agreed with that.

That being said.. Unnecessarily long gave me a chuckle. I love it when people say that, because all I can think is "My, aren't you a lazy one?"

The shifty-eyed rant at the end was pretty funny too.

Not a bad looking and speaking Rand. The actual words are too stupid and ignorant to properly support the humor. The gun works as a satire on selfishness. No gun no video by these folk, whoever the f**k they are--(college students?).

--Brant

at least it wasn't Ayn Brant (too close for comfort)

I wonder how many who watch the above would bother to read this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The ideal political-economic system is laissez-faire capitalism. It is a system where men deal with one another, not as victims and executioners, nor as masters and slaves, but as traders, by free, voluntary exchange to mutual benefit. It is a system where no man may obtain any values from others by resorting to physical force, and no man may initiate the use of physical force against others. The government acts only as a policeman that protects man’s rights; it uses physical force only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use, such as criminals or foreign invaders. In a system of full capitalism, there should be (but, historically, has not yet been) a complete separation of state and economics, in the same way and for the same reasons as the separation of state and church."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Easily found in two seconds searching.

People who can't be bothered to understand what the hell they are reading aren't worth bothering with anyway.

This video does not conform to objective standards for satire. A proper satire must be 100% true and in no way misrepresent the subject. The most obvious error I noticed is Rand's endorsement of a cereal. There is no evidence that she ever took a position on grains, whole or otherwise.

I'm pretty sure she endorsed pork chops.

--Brant