Why editing is so much harder than writing.

Rich Engle

• 1 year later...

I always found writing harder. I never thought about it much though. However, I just finished a small part of a huge project for the State of Texas. Four technical writers received processes, procedures, and work instructions from 50 project managers. All I did was edit. It is pretty easy to fix someone else's problems, harder to develop your own solutions.

But Rich's original post is about a different kind of editing entirely. I'm painting rooms; he painting portraits.

I always found writing harder. I never thought about it much though. However, I just finished a small part of a huge project for the State of Texas. Four technical writers received processes, procedures, and work instructions from 50 project managers. All I did was edit. It is pretty easy to fix someone else's problems, harder to develop your own solutions.

But Rich's original post is about a different kind of editing entirely. I'm painting rooms; he painting portraits.

I edited Nicholas Dykes's last novel which is now on Kindle. Read it, this is a blurb.

I did not work very hard at editing or do an especially good job but read it anyway. Nick did work hard and deserves the readership! MSK agrees with me on other thread.

• 11 months later...

Just came across this thread again by chance. I am wondering when VPs long-described and heralded "new" novel Hungry Artist is going to burst upon the scene. Also, what happened with that film about him that was such a big deal? I understand that he is earning an honest living these days without the support of female partners (or male that I know of) so I hope he will spare the reading world any more contemptuous smiles playing about the corners of his lips.