Amy Winehouse

caroljane

This takes another little piece of my heart... somewhere I'd love to think she's jammin' with Janis J.

She joins the Forever 27 Club. Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix Jim Morrison and Brian Jones all died at age 27. And Kurt Cobain committed suicide at age 27. Bizarre.

Cobain and Hendrix biographer Charles R. Cross writes, "The number of musicians who died at 27 is truly remarkable by any standard. [Although] humans die regularly at all ages, there is a statistical spike for musicians who die at 27."

This takes another little piece of my heart... somewhere I'd love to think she's jammin' with Janis J.

She joins the Forever 27 Club. Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix Jim Morrison and Brian Jones all died at age 27. And Kurt Cobain committed suicide at age 27. Bizarre.

Cobain and Hendrix biographer Charles R. Cross writes, "The number of musicians who died at 27 is truly remarkable by any standard. [Although] humans die regularly at all ages, there is a statistical spike for musicians who die at 27."

That is intriguing -- is there some peak of potential and success and self-expectation at that age, that becomes too combustible in the lives of the musically supertalented? 27or thereabouts is often the happiest year in the lives of ordinary people - it was in mine.

That is intriguing -- is there some peak of potential and success and self-expectation at that age, that becomes too combustible in the lives of the musically supertalented? 27or thereabouts is often the happiest year in the lives of ordinary people - it was in mine.

I am frankly far too old to remember what I was feeling at age 27. I became a much happier person when I was in my thirties. I began keeping a diary at age 30, and that really helped me in terms of my personal growth and development. I think a personal diary does wonders for your sense of self-awareness and your perspective on your life.

According to one study, our mental powers begin to decline at age 27:

Old Age Begins at 27

So I suppose dying at age 27 is one way to guarantee you will be. . .

[quote name='Dennis Hardin' timestamp='1311459323' post='139938

No argument here. I also recall an article I once read about a survey of middle-aged people (40-60) on what they perceived to be their "mental age" - it was 28.

I am also too old to remember stuff, far too old, I have chosen the epochal year of 1905 as my birthdate so I can follow the strictures of my dear Ma that a lady never tells her age. In fact, we never actually knew her age until after she died at, uh, 49.

No argument here. I also recall an article I once read about a survey of middle-aged people (40-60) on what they perceived to be their "mental age" - it was 28.

I am also too old to remember stuff, far too old, I have chosen the epochal year of 1905 as my birthdate so I can follow the strictures of my dear Ma that a lady never tells her age. In fact, we never actually knew her age until after she died at, uh, 49.

1905. Yes, that was a very good year, as old blue eyes would say.

But I never would have guessed you were that old. Judging by your avatar, you don't look a day over 97.

1905. Yes, that was a very good year, as old blue eyes would say.

But I never would have guessed you were that old. Judging by your avatar, you don't look a day over 97.

Oh, you flatterer! I swear and vow, you are worse than dear Jimmie, he said the colour of that wall is just the colour of my eyes. He wanted me to change into my second-best mourning, the purple, but I wouldn't. Standards are standards, and look who was right. They don't call it Whistlers's drawing room, do they?

There are a lot of us 106 year olds out here, dead but we won't lie down! Well, there's one other anyway.

Oh, you flatterer! I swear and vow, you are worse than dear Jimmie, he said the colour of that wall is just the colour of my eyes. He wanted me to change into my second-best mourning, the purple, but I wouldn't. Standards are standards, and look who was right. They don't call it Whistlers's drawing room, do they?

There are a lot of us 106 year olds out here, dead but we won't lie down! Well, there's one other anyway.

Your memory is showing the effects of age, my good woman. Jimmie was hoping you would dress yourself up to look a little more like Sarah Bernhardt, the actress/model you replaced. (This is a little known fact of history.)

Sarah_Bernhardt_as_Cleopatra_1891.jpeg

The painting was to have been called Whistler's Lover. But Sarah ran off with the Prince of Ligne at the last minute, and the rest is history.

I find it interesting that people with little or no talent suddenly become more talented right after they die.

She had exactly one hit in America. Her voice sounded like she was singing with food in her mouth. Her lyrics were barely audible.

By the way, almost nobody cares about the Grammy Awards.

I find it interesting that people with little or no talent suddenly become more talented right after they die.

She had exactly one hit in America. Her voice sounded like she was singing with food in her mouth. Her lyrics were barely audible.

By the way, almost nobody cares about the Grammy Awards.

You are wrong.She had enormous talent, which was acknowledged in her lifetime by musical experts such as Tony Bennett.

Since I could not recall any of Winhouse's music, I just went through a medley on YouTube of her top hits.

You're not supposed to talk bad about the dead, so I'll keep my peace.

Let's put it this way. I think she had a very good voice. But I don't believe her public bad-girl persona (her real product) was about music, I don't know who her producer was, but I have little doubt a ton-load of demographic study and analysis went into the production of that product.

Michael

I was never a fan because I don't care for tattoos on women--why would such a beautiful young girl want to do that to herself? But I'm sure that was just her way of flaunting her rebellious spirit. I do think she was a very talented jazz stylist. Unfortunately, like so many talented people, she apparently never found a way to cope with the pressures of stardom aside from drugs. No one will be shocked when it eventually comes out that drugs did her in.

I was never a fan because I don't care for tattoos on women--why would such a beautiful young girl want to do that to herself? But I'm sure that was just her way of flaunting her rebellious spirit. I do think she was a very talented jazz stylist. Unfortunately, like so many talented people, she apparently never found a way to cope with the pressures of stardom aside from drugs. No one will be shocked when it eventually comes out that drugs did her in.

I thought she was beautiful too. My son's (non-tattooed, non-beehived) ex girlfriend looks astonishingly like her, even has a similar name. What a great though portentous name -- if you're a Winehouse who enters the House of Soul, you're tempting fate for sure.

I was never a fan because I don't care for tattoos on women--why would such a beautiful young girl want to do that to herself? But I'm sure that was just her way of flaunting her rebellious spirit.

Consider the number of people who have tattoos nowadays, there is absolutely nothing rebellious about them. Tattoos seem to be a way for a person to say: "Hey, I'm rebellious," without actually doing anything rebellious. It's counterfeit individualism.

Sportswriter Jason Whitlock believes that tattoos reflect a great deal of insecurity on the part of the person who has them. I happen to agree with him. My own experience with tattooed people confirms this.

I thought she was beautiful too. My son's (non-tattooed, non-beehived) ex girlfriend looks astonishingly like her, even has a similar name. What a great though portentous name -- if you're a Winehouse who enters the House of Soul, you're tempting fate for sure.

Speaking of portentous names, how about Lady Gaga? She got the name from the Queen hit, Radio Ga Ga, which was originally titled Radio Ca Ca. (No, I didn’t make that up.)

So, essentially, she named herself after shit. I will leave it to others to ponder how that became portentous.

She’s also tempting fate. She's 25 with (surprise, surprise!) drug and alcohol problems. She’s got two years to mend her ways or risk becoming a member of that exclusive club nobody wants to join

I was never a fan because I don't care for tattoos on women--why would such a beautiful young girl want to do that to herself? But I'm sure that was just her way of flaunting her rebellious spirit.

Consider the number of people who have tattoos nowadays, there is absolutely nothing rebellious about them. Tattoos seem to be a way for a person to say: "Hey, I'm rebellious," without actually doing anything rebellious. It's counterfeit individualism.

Sportswriter Jason Whitlock believes that tattoos reflect a great deal of insecurity on the part of the person who has them. I happen to agree with him. My own experience with tattooed people confirms this.

You're right. It is counterfeit individualism. Nathaniel Branden nailed that one on the head in his 1962 article in The Objectivist Newsletter.

There are some exceptions, to be sure, but I find tattoos in general to be indicative of a lack of intelligence and self-respect. Apparently some women are attracted to men with tattoos. They must think it's a sign that the guy is a "bad boy" when all it really indicates is stupidity and a lack of self-confidence. (Perhaps that's what such women secretly like about "bad boys.")

Talk show host Dennis Prager says he decides which NBA team to root for based on which team's players have the fewest tattoos. I feel the same way.

You're right. It is counterfeit individualism. Nathaniel Branden nailed that one on the head in his 1962 article in The Objectivist Newsletter.

There are some exceptions, to be sure, but I find tattoos in general to be indicative of a lack of intelligence and self-respect. Apparently some women are attracted to men with tattoos. They must think it's a sign that the guy is a "bad boy" when all it really indicates is stupidity and a lack of self-confidence. (Perhaps that's what such women secretly like about "bad boys.")

Talk show host Dennis Prager says he decides which NBA team to root for based on which team's players have the fewest tattoos. I feel the same way.

We are forgetting the traditional roots here. First the naval tradition - I had two sailor uncles with small tattoos.

And memorialist. My younger son has one tattoo, a Canadian flag overlaid with the Scottish flag, and his father's name and years of birth and death. He got it at age 21, because he respected my wishes that he not do it until his formal age of majority. He had wanted to do it since his father died when he had just turned 18.

Here's the article in which Jason Whitlock says that a lot of tattoos reflect insecurity. It's a funny article that deals with other issues, too:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-strip-club-vince-young-jason-whitlock-061710

Interesting quote:

“C’mon, Jason, you can’t be serious,” Mo Money groaned. “Most pro athletes spend their whole lives focusing on developing their bodies more than their minds. They’re incredibly insecure. It’s why so many of them tattoo their entire bodies. Vince Young has his name tattooed across his back in big bold letters. He thinks he’s a human jersey. He’s not self-aware or self-assured. He’s a jersey. Jerseys don’t think. They react.”

Pro and college athletes certainly do grow up in a highly sheltered environment where "coach" basically makes all their decisions for them. I guess a huge tattoo might be seen as a way of achieving instant manhood--by someone who had no clue what manhood was all about.

Here's the article in which Jason Whitlock says that a lot of tattoos reflect insecurity. It's a funny article that deals with other issues, too:

http://msn.foxsports...whitlock-061710

Interesting quote:

"C'mon, Jason, you can't be serious," Mo Money groaned. "Most pro athletes spend their whole lives focusing on developing their bodies more than their minds. They're incredibly insecure. It's why so many of them tattoo their entire bodies. Vince Young has his name tattooed across his back in big bold letters. He thinks he's a human jersey. He's not self-aware or self-assured. He's a jersey. Jerseys don't think. They react."

Pro and college athletes certainly do grow up in a highly sheltered environment where "coach" basically makes all their decisions for them. I guess a huge tattoo might be seen as a way of achieving instant manhood--by someone who had no clue what manhood was all about.

How abvout dominance and bonding?

--Brant

I'm a big fan myself. I love her songs, My Tears Dry On Their Own, Just Friends, Love is a Losing Game, Back to Black all of which she wrote. Her songs came from personal experience. I don't understand how people say she's not talented.

I'm a big fan myself. I love her songs, My Tears Dry On Their Own, Just Friends, Love is a Losing Game, Back to Black all of which she wrote. Her songs came from personal experience. I don't understand how people say she's not talented.

Me neither. I've never been a soul or R&B fan especially, but her amazing voice reached across the generations to me and I loved her.She was an artist.

And as the mother of a 27 year old son, the reports of her funeral broke my heart."Sleep tight..."