Life and Death

Roger Bissell

Inspired by Nathaniel Branden's distinction between motivation from love of life vs. motivation from fear of death, I came up with this paraphrasing of Dietrich Bonhoeffer's famous quote ("Being a Christian is less about cautiously avoiding sin than about courageously and actively doing God's will"):

Being truly alive is less about cautiously, worriedly avoiding death than about courageously and actively being the best person you can be.

REB

Inspired by Nathaniel Branden's distinction between motivation from love of life vs. motivation from fear of death, I came up with this paraphrasing of Dietrich Bonhoeffer's famous quote ("Being a Christian is less about cautiously avoiding sin than about courageously and actively doing God's will"):

Being truly alive is less about cautiously, worriedly avoiding death than about courageously and actively being the best person you can be.

It's sound logic to substitute "death" for "sin" as they are similar in many ways. In a like manner, loving life is also similar to loving good (God).

Greg

Trying to estimate the inestimable, of the astronomical odds against being alive in the first place... I have no trouble perceiving life itself, but more: self-aware life; and my own in particular, as a gift of the Universe. We are a long time non-existent - but happily, enough time alive. It is vanity, as some writer said once, to expect anything more.