Frank's Niece!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Easter everyone!

I only celebrate my birthday and Xmas. I got that from your aunt Alice and her Virtue of Selfishness.

--Brant

stewing in my own juice (where did I go wrong?)

Mr. Selfish (gloat, gloat--I got that part right; that feels good)

Happy Easter! ("Allow me to be generous" [Caesar, in Ben Hur])

The more shit I step in the more shit there is to step in)

A very Happy Easter and Passover to everyone...

A day to celebrate hope arising...

jesus-leading-flock-of-sheep-smiley-emot

gold-cross-smiley-emoticon.gif

a-sack-of-coins-with-the-dollar-sign-smi I couldn't find a gold dollar sign...

May joy be in your mind...

A...

Happy Easter - Another view...with it's own beauty...

IMG_2249.jpg?resize=580%2C580

Happy Easter - Another view...with it's own beauty...

IMG_2249.jpg?resize=580%2C580

That's a Catholic church. Haven't been to mass in over 45 years. Still remember it though, incense smoke, Father clanging it from side to side coming down the aisle to the pulpit, congregation singing "Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty". The smell of the incense smoke made me sick as I would have to kneel on the kneelers that were attached to every pew in front of the next. Communion was the worst, the host tasted like stale styrofoam that I would have to force myself not to gag in front of Father O'shanassy. I hated every Sunday, until I figured out a solution. That's when I would rip open the offering envelope while walking to mass. take the money out, run right past the church and straight uptown for ice cream....until I got caught, but it was fun while it lasted.

Happy Easter, Cathy.

The eggs and the bunny

Can be kind of funny,

And now is the day

To put rage away

At least for a day.

May gratitude wash over and bless you and yours.

(Sorry to be sappy, but I'm in that mood. :smile: )

Love from Michael & Kat

IN FACT: Happy Easter for all.

Not so sappy :) I remember as a child believing in all of them, from Santa claus clear to the sandman...what lies we will tell our children just to make life/world seem like a happy place. Hmmm, I wonder if that is such a good thing to do. Hope your Easter was a good one, and if you don't celebrate it, hope you had a great Sunday :) love from us to yours!

Happy Easter everyone!

I only celebrate my birthday and Xmas. I got that from your aunt Alice and her Virtue of Selfishness.

--Brant

stewing in my own juice (where did I go wrong?)

Mr. Selfish (gloat, gloat--I got that part right; that feels good)

Happy Easter! ("Allow me to be generous" [Caesar, in Ben Hur])

The more shit I step in the more shit there is to step in)

My dear O L friend Brant, you always blow my mind....I am going to have to think about this one for a minute, or maybe longer :)

Good luck! I can't figure myself out.

I understand armed forces radio Vietnam wasn't allowed to play this song. Where I was we didn't listen to any radio.

"Gloat," btw, is an allusion to Ayn's remark to Frank after she got $50,000 for the movie rights to The Fountainhead. She was gloating and asked Frank if he was. "I'm afflicted."

--Brant

Excellent scene Brant.

And Cathy, our thanks to your Uncle Frank, who met Ayn on the set of King of Kings, loving her all her life and keeping her secure enough to liberate so many of us from collective guilt, which, as we know, has no power unless we, the potential victims, sanction it...

I sing:

Excellent scene Brant.

And Cathy, our thanks to your Uncle Frank, who met Ayn on the set of King of Kings, loving her all her life and keeping her secure enough to liberate so many of us from collective guilt, which, as we know, has no power unless we, the potential victims, sanction it...

I sing:

Ha ha ha yes HALLELUJAH! They both were great people to me in much different ways. He was her stable ground...her rock, thats for sure. He let her "say" and "be" whatever she wanted without criticism and stood with her in a time where women had to fight for everything.

A touch of Easter from Aunt Alice:

Roger Enright has taken Dominique Francon to the site of his house under construction, a house designed by Howard Roark.

She looked at the steel cages of future projections, at the insolent angles, at the incredible complexity of this shape coming to life as a simple, logical whole, a naked skeleton with planes of air to form the walls, a naked skeleton on a cold winter day, with a sense of birth and promise, like a tree with a first touch of green.

“Oh, Roger!”

He looked at her and saw the kind of face one should expect to see in church at Easter.
. . .
“Good morning,” said a low, hard voice beside them.

(305, first edition)

Roger Enright has taken Dominique Francon to the site of his house under construction, a house designed by Howard Roark.

She looked at the steel cages of future projections, at the insolent angles, at the incredible complexity of this shape coming to life as a simple, logical whole, a naked skeleton with planes of air to form the walls, a naked skeleton on a cold winter day, with a sense of birth and promise, like a tree with a first touch of green.

“Oh, Roger!”

He looked at her and saw the kind of face one should expect to see in church at Easter.

. . .

(305, first edition)

Nice section Stephen.

There is a true joy in the face of a person of faith transformed by the belief in an eternal life.

As there was in the awe that Dominique expresses at the beauty of the work of art before her.

A...

Features and benefits that are extremely "sellable"...

“Oh, Roger!”

. . .

(305, first edition)

Nice section Stephen.

There is a true joy in the face of a person of faith transformed by the belief in an eternal life.

As there was in the awe that Dominique expresses at the beauty of the work of art before her.

A...

After reading this I have a question...is Easter just an American holiday? I mean, I just wondered how Aunt Alice would know what to expect seeing on someone face on Easter in church. I remember as a child Aunt Agnes being there on Easter and even talking to her about Easter, But I don't ever think Aunt Alice ever talked to us about Easter.

“Oh, Roger!”

. . .

(305, first edition)

Nice section Stephen.

A...

After reading this I have a question...is Easter just an American holiday? I mean, I just wondered how Aunt Alice would know what to expect seeing on someone face on Easter in church. I remember as a child Aunt Agnes being there on Easter and even talking to her about Easter, But I don't ever think Aunt Alice ever talked to us about Easter.

An excellent question.

I do know that the Russians in her childhood the Eastern Orthodox Christian Church is as powerful then as it is now with Putin's power alliance with them.

Easter is a huge celebration in pre-communist Russia:

Christians all over the globe celebrate Easter with great zeal and enthusiasm. It is celebrated in order to commemorate the resurrection of Christ after his crucifixion. Though Easter has lots of common rituals across the world, there are also many varieties in the way Easter is celebrated in different parts of the world. The differences can be mostly observed in the celebration of Western Christians (Protestants and Roman Catholics) and Eastern Orthodox Christians. Russia, predominantly an Eastern Orthodox Country follows different rituals from most of the western nations. Read on to explore more about the Easter of the Eastern Orthodox Christians in Russia. Easter in Russia is celebrated according to the rituals laid down by the Eastern Orthodox Church. Apart from differences in rites and rituals, the bone of contention between Western Christians (Protestants and Roman Catholics) and the Eastern Orthodox Christians is the date of Easter celebration. In determining the vernal equinox, the Eastern Church uses the Julian calendar while the Western Church employs the Gregorian calendar which creates about 13 days difference between the two.

The Eastern Church calculates it from March 21 by their calendar, which lies April 3 by the Gregorian calendar. Moreover, whereas Western Churches hold Easter sunrise services, in Russian Orthodox Church Easter services last all through Saturday night. The congregation gathers in the church or cathedral on Saturday evening and takes part in an Easter vigil commemorating the buried Christ. Orthodox churches in Russia have an inner sanctuary away from the reach of worshipers, and only to the access of the priest. On this day, the door is closed till midnight but at the stroke of midnight, the priest opens the door and comes out saying "Christ is risen! Christ is risen! Christ is risen!" and after hours of silent anticipation, the worshippers rely back “He is risen indeed!"

Another interesting Easter ritual in Russia is the Easter egg decoration. Easter egg decoration is an important part Easter traditions in Russia. The predominant color for egg dyeing in Russia is red. The red dye is chosen because it symbolizes the blood of Christ. Furthermore, people crack the eggs open using nails, in order to remind themselves again of the death of Christ.

Another integral aspect of Easter celebrations in Russia is the family Easter dinner which is a community affair at the Church itself. The Easter dinner is a sumptuous feast, in which the entire congregation celebrates together. Russian people traditionally bake Easter cakes, known as "kulich," and make curd paskha and bring it to church along with them and asked the priest to bless it before they share it together in the community celebrations.Read more at http://festivals.iloveindia.com/easter/traditions/easter-in-russia.html#L4zzlOXg7iCwBPvF.99

Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that a child like she was and acutely observant would not miss this event even though she was not Christian.

You could not miss the celebrations. Might have been a memory she had from then.

A...

• 3 years later...
20 minutes ago, bob_hayden said:

Where did Cathy go?

Bob,

Her daughter died in an automobile accident and she has been busy raising her grandchildren. That almost broke her at the time.

I haven't talked to her in a while. But Cathy rocks.

I need to revive a writing project I had going with her that I was not competent enough to finish at the time. I've since acquired the skills, but still have not tested them on the open highway, so I've been putting it off until I do.

Michael

Guest bob_hayden

Thanks.  I have no opinion of her but some of the issues people have raised do not bother me.  For example, while AR may have stopped calling herself "Alice" long ago, relatives might have already grown used to calling her that, and continued to do so. 

• 5 years later...