President Mitt Romney

Peter

Political analyst and Democratic pollster Doug Schoen tells Newsmax that Romney’s presidential bid is in “deep trouble” and his campaign badly needs a win in the Great Lakes State before heading into the do-or-die Super Tuesday contests on March 6, where voters in 10 states will pick their candidate to become the GOP presidential nominee.

“Romney is in deep trouble. He’s out of arguments. People don’t buy the central premise of his candidacy that he’s a businessman who can get things moving again,” Schoen said in an exclusive interview on Wednesday. “He’s entirely negative — whether it’s about President Obama, Newt Gingrich and now Rick Santorum. And Rick Santorum’s ad basically sums up the case against Mitt Romney: He’s a serial attacker who offers nothing other than negative ads, super PACs, bundlers and special interest money. It’s a recipe for failure.”

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey of likely Republican primary voters released on Wednesday shows Santorum leading with 39 percent support, compared with 27 percent for Romney nationwide.

Adam wrote, pretending to be me, advising Mitt:

What the hell are you doing. You have been campaigning for four (4) freakin years!

end quote

That wasn’t bad. Your satire is improving. I guess Ronaldo Maxiumus’s Eleventh Commandment, "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican," is passé. What is said now will be replayed in the general election by the Progressives. I may have gone “attack dog” on Newt but I really think he would lose the general election. And if he miraculously did win, then his imperialist, Statist tendencies would take over as President. I see him as another Lyndon Baines Johnson. Apparently, you feel as derogatory about Mitt.

Is Rick Santorum, with a Republican majority, a Democratic minority, and a Tea Party even smaller minority, the compromise solution? I could live with that.

Rick should start looking over his shoulder for the “Glitter Bomb Fringe,” The Pro Reproductive Rights activists,” pro government thugs, and the Liberal Illuminati. Crazies with knives, guns and bombs will be coaxed to his rallies by the you know who - (community activists.) The State Run Media, and the Hollywood elite will be furious, and it will be nasty.

“Truth, Justice, and the American Way” needs a vocal majority. Volunteers for America need to sign up now, or sigh in despair later.

Peter Taylor

The DNC [Democratic National Committee] is running this web ad for the Michigan primary and for the general election...

Ohio Primary

Santorum 42%

Romney 24%

Gingrich 13%

Dr. Paul 10%

Other 03%

Undecided 08%

===================================

Georgia Debate cancelled...

A March 1 debate of the four remaining GOP presidential candidates — the 22st of the primary season — collapsed on Thursday after Mitt Romney and Ron Paul declared they preferred to be elsewhere.

CNN just confirmed that it had exercised its option to pull the plug on the event, which was to be held five days before the March 6 Super Tuesday, when Georgia and nine other states go to the polls.

The event was to be co-hosted by the Georgia and Ohio GOP.

Good grief...someone in his campaign needs to do an intervention...

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2012/02/mitt-romney-and-car-industry

Mitt Romney and the car industry

A Detroiter in his own mind

Feb 14th 2012, 21:31 by R.M. | WASHINGTON, DC

Romney330.jpgONE of Mitt Romney's problems is that he lays it on too thick. He's not just a conservative, he's a "severe conservative". He feels your pain because he too is "unemployed". And he understands America's car industry because he's a Tigers-cheering motorhead, a true "son of Detroit".

That last assertion comes in an op-ed Mr Romney wrote for the Detroit News today. And it's not untrue, per se. The candidate was born in Detroit, though he grew up in Bloomfield Hills, one of America's wealthiest cities. He probably cheered for the Tigers as a kid, but his position has since evolved. And cars may really be "in my bones", as he claims, but he advocated letting Detroit go bankrupt in 2008.

The purpose of Mr Romney's op-ed is to clarify his position on the auto bail-out ahead of Michigan's primary on February 28th. And the piece rivals Cirque du Soleil in its display of contortions. Mr Romney seems loth to gush about the success of the bail-out, noting only the good news that "Chrysler and General Motors are still in business". He certainly doesn't mention that 2011 was the best year for America's carmakers since the financial crisis, with each of the big three turning a solid profit. But he does imply that this achievement is a result of his own advice. "The course I recommended was eventually followed", Mr Romney writes.

As with much of Mr Romney's excessive rhetoric, there is some truth to this statement. Following the bail-outs, the president eventually forced Chrysler and GM into bankruptcy, a step Mr Romney thought should occur naturally. And the government oversaw painful restructurings at both companies, which were largely in line with Mr Romney's broad suggestions. But the course Mr Romney recommended in 2008 began with the government stepping back, and it is unlikely things would've turned out so well had this happened.

Free-marketeers that we are, The Economist agreed with Mr Romney at the time. But we later apologised for that position. "Had the government not stepped in, GM might have restructured under normal bankruptcy procedures, without putting public money at risk", we said. But "given the panic that gripped private purse-strings...it is more likely that GM would have been liquidated, sending a cascade of destruction through the supply chain on which its rivals, too, depended." Even Ford, which avoided bankruptcy, feared the industry would collapse if GM went down. At the time that seemed like a real possibility. The credit markets were bone-dry, making the privately financed bankruptcy that Mr Romney favoured improbable. He conveniently ignores this bit of history in claiming to have been right all along.

In other areas of his op-ed Mr Romney is more accurate. Unions did win some special favours in the bail-out deals, though they are not as egregious as the candidate claims. For example, a health fund for retired workers was unfairly favoured over secured bondholders at Chrysler. But an issue like that is unlikely to resonate in Detroit. So Mr Romney must find a way to re-write history, lest he fall further behind Rick Santorum in his state of birth. Mr Santorum didn't support the auto bail-out either, but he evinces a genuine compassion for blue-collar workers. And he didn't pen an op-ed predicting, "If General Motors, Ford and Chrysler get the bailout that their chief executives asked for yesterday, you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye." That's a difficult statement to walk back.

=================================================

If he would just keep quiet he might win the nomination by default...hasn't learned much from his father's "brainwashing" gaffe from the '60's!

Somebody has to stop him!!!!

Just listen to the pitiful pathetic pandering in his voice..."the trees in Michigan are the right height" AGGHHHHHH

I love this state. It seems right here. The trees are the right height. I like seeing the lakes. I love the lakes. There's something very special here--the great lakes, but also all the little inland lakes that dot the parts of Michigan. I love cars. I don't know, I mean, I grew up totally in love with cars....”
And the leaves! Did I mention I love the Michigan
leaves
? And the dirt! Michigan has the best dirt in the world, and by God I’ll fight the first son-of-a-gun who says otherwise!
Michigan, I love you. I love you more than my own wife and children. And to prove it—Tagg, will you come up here? And bring that big knife—I’m prepared, right now, in the spirit of Abraham, to sacrifice my son to the great spirit of Michigan, live on TV, right here, right now.
Quick, somebody stop him! Son, come back! It’s got to be done! I’ve got to win Michigan. Anything, anything! Please Michigan, I beg you. Just vote for me.
OK, let’s get serious: How much for your votes. I’ve got cash, and I’m not taking ‘no’ for an answer...

I think Romney's in trouble.

You know something ain't right when Joe Klein says, "He just seems wall-to-wall phoney," and no warning bells go off in your brain.

Joe Klein, fer God's sake!

Calling someone else phoney!

And it sounds normal!

Dayaamm!

See it here. (Klein's remark is just before 5:00.)

<object width="420" height="245" id="msnbc8b213e" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" /><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=46420008&width=420&height=245" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed name="msnbc8b213e" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" width="420" height="245" FlashVars="launch=46420008&width=420&height=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 420px;">Visit msnbc.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">breaking news</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy</a></p>

Michael

Arizona sheriff quits Romney campaign amid accusations

9:14pm EST

PHOENIX - A local sheriff resigned as a co-chair of Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney's campaign in Arizona on Saturday after he was accused of threatening a former male lover with deportation to Mexico if he talked about their relationship.

If they had been open in their relationship, it would have been a reason to support Romney... well, except to all the actual Romney supporters....

The reason that so many conservatives are gay is that is it nature's way of limiting their numbers.

The reason that so many conservatives are gay is that is it nature's way of limiting their numbers.

Michael:

"so many" er...that is a completely vacuous and unsupported statement my friend.

So, I am assuming that is an attempt at humor...?

Michael:

"so many" er...that is a completely vacuous and unsupported statement my friend.

So, I am assuming that is an attempt at humor...?

Gays are varmints. Seems the sheriff got a little bit sleazed and the story is not as dire as it seems. Gays and atheists, suspect somehow, ya see? Ya wonder, ya know? They should all come outta the dang closets, specially the Mexcan. They're varmints.

Two important announcements by Mitt Romney:

1) an across the board tax cut of twenty percent (20%) for all Americans except those top producers, those evil super achievers, the top one percent (1%); and

2) the symbol for his campaign:

1172485ritavmyyd3.jpg

He makes me sick that he will say anything and change any position to get elected!

Adam wrote about Mitt:

He makes me sick that he will say anything and change any position to get elected!

end quote

Then Adam shows a link to a panda saying it is the new Mitt Romney symbol. Adam, would you do and say anything to keep Mitt from being elected? I went to his site and saw no Chinese pandas. Their motto is, “Believe In America.”

Here is a quote from Obama, and the full article appears below:

“When Congress refuses to act, Joe and I are going to act,” Obama said on Tuesday, with Vice President Joe Biden at his side. “In the months to come, wherever we have an opportunity, we’re going to take steps on our own to keep this economy moving.”

end quote

At what point is the Constitution stretched across the line into an action that requires an impeachment? This is one of the reasons I first became impressed with Mitt Romney. He said, and I am paraphrasing, In my first sixty as President I will use the full power of the Presidency to roll back every unconstitutional law and regulation I can by decree, and then I will work with Congress to place the office and powers of the Presidency back to where the Constitution says it should be.

We have a debate tonight from 8 until 10 on CNN and the crucial Michigan and Arizona primaries Tuesday February 28th. Rasmussen has Michigan 38 to 34 percent Santorum over Romney, NBC / Marist has it 37 percent Romney, 35 percent Santorum. In Arizona Mitt leads overwhelmingly. Paul is a distant third in most polls leading Newt Gingrich by a slim margin.

Peter Taylor

Home » News

Obama: ‘When Congress Refuses to Act, Joe and I Are Going to Act’

By Fred Lucas

February 21, 2012

Subscribe to Fred Lucas's posts

President Barack Obama, accompanied by Vice President Joe Biden, speaks in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building on the White House complex in Washington, Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2012, on the importance of the agreement passed by Congress to extend the payroll tax cut and unemployment insurance. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

(CNSNews.com) – In keeping with his “We Can’t Wait” initiative, President Barack Obama has once again asserted that if Congress does not enact his policies in the future, he will continue to forge ahead on his own.

“When Congress refuses to act, Joe and I are going to act,” Obama said on Tuesday, with Vice President Joe Biden at his side. “In the months to come, wherever we have an opportunity, we’re going to take steps on our own to keep this economy moving.”

Obama, speaking at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building near the White House, praised Congress for voting to extend the payroll tax cut. He said this helps the middle class, adding that he will fight for middle class voters regardless of what Congress does.

“With or without Congress, I’m going to continue to fight for them. I do hope Congress joins me instead of spending the coming months in a lot of phony political debates focusing on the next election.”

Earlier Tuesday, the White House announced that as part of its “We Can’t Wait” campaign, the Departments of Agriculture and Commerce will expand the federal government’s purchase of bio-based products, promote regional rural job creation efforts, and develop a rural health care workforce.

“The actions we are taking will bring new economic investments to our rural communities, to ensure the people who live in these towns have a better, brighter future,” said Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, who chairs the White House Rural Council.

Obama issued a presidential directive calling for a 50-percent increase in the number of federally purchased bio-based products, including items such as paints, soaps and detergents that are developed from farm-grown plants, rather than chemicals or petroleum bases.

The White House also announced the Rural Jobs Accelerator. It is a national competition that will provide about $15 million for projects already appropriated to the USDA, the Economic Development Administration (EDA), Delta Regional Authority and the Appalachian Regional Commission.

Further, the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Labor signed a memorandum to connect community colleges and technical colleges that support rural communities with the materials and resources they need to support the training of Health Information Technology (HIT) professionals that work in rural hospitals and clinics.

Mr. Taylor:

You who stretch and twist words for a joke do not get the picture pun?

Second, you are content with him using marxist class warfare rhetoric about the one percent (1%)? !!!!

Adam

Michael wrote, “Rand Paul for Romney's VIP?” I have been smelling a rand-rat since the early debates. At first it seemed inconceivable. Wouldn’t Ron Paul be in the same mode as most Objectivists and envision the apocalypse whenever they looked at Mitt? “After all, Obamacare was crafted from Romneycare,” has been said by a lot of Objectivists, over and over again. I like Mitt’s retort that his Care was a response to an overwhelmingly liberal electorate and “stolen health care cheaters” and is 74 pages long. Obamacare is 2700 pages long and is crafted to steal your liberties.

I suggested an alliance as a strategy to Mitt a long time ago and printed a letter on OL somewhere, and then restated that argument a couple of months ago on OL. But I think the candidates had a gentlemen’s agreement long before I thought of it.

Some theories. Mitt’s increasing evolution and conversion to conservatism is real and makes him OK with Ron Paul. Or this is a cynical ploy by Ron Paul to get his son hitched to someone as bad as Obama? Which do you pick? Does Ron Paul have integrity or not? I say Ron Paul is Mr Integrity. He has known Rick Santorum a long time and knows about his anti-libertarian streak. He is more ambivalent about Newt’s conniving nature. He likes Mitt and thinks he would make a good and decent President from a Libertarian’s perspective. It is as simple as that.

Michael it is not politics as usual. It is inspired and principled politics.

Peter Taylor

Get a load of this:

Long, damaging presidential primary has GOP considering changes to its rules

By Cameron Joseph

The Hill

02/24/12

Many acknowledge privately that they worry a long primary is forcing all of the GOP candidates to spend more than they want and that the candidates' negative attacks against each other are hurting the eventual nominee's chances against President Obama.

Let's put this in perspective.

Romney is the one backed by old Republican money. Romney has been out-spending by leaps and bounds all the other candidates (five-to-one on up)--and he ALWAYS spends the gross of his money on smear ads against the current top-runner in the state. But it gets worse. His smearing is about as bad and dishonest as anything Media Matters, MSNBC and the Soros machine could ever dream up.

This is a man talking about restoring American values.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that people are getting turned off to the very idea of backing someone who plays dirty pool. So rather than risk getting slimed because they like another candidate, many people are simply staying home. Turn-out is not good, folks. Look at the numbers.

Romney's tactic is taking the Tea Party enthusiasm that infected the mainstream in the 2010 turnaround and turning it into "I don't give a damn, they're all liars" cynicism.

He is transmuting high-morale gold into indifferent lead right before the eyes of everyone.

He's even got Ron Paul running smear ads in a state where Paul isn't even campaigning (Michigan)!

So what do the allegedly wise cigar-chomping backroom kingmakers think about the fact that their cheating isn't working with the public?

Hell, it's easy. Just change the rules. Look at the article I linked to.

And, of course, rig the new game. You won't find that part in the article, but it's there. Oh, is it there.

These people have such an exaggerated contempt for the public, for the average American, that I don't know how they get away with it. Maybe it's because they shift the arrogance and conceit blame to snooty liberals, who are more than glad to look down their noses at everyone in public. But don't be fooled. These backroom boys think the average American is a steer in a herd of cattle, can be easily controlled, and deserves it for being so stupid.

If anything is going to hand a victory to Obama, it will be the insistence on dirty tricks by Romney and the GOP old-boy machine. We're going back to Nixon days, but in the middle of the information revolution. If these underhanded tactics keep up, that spells to me that these days are actually coming (wiretaps and all) but without the accompanying Nixon wins.

Who wants to vote for a smear merchant of The National Enquirer level after the Tea Party euphoria? (With all due apology to The National Enquirer.) If that's the game, who gives a crap? Might as well stay home.

Michael

Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate above principles. - George Jean Nathan

Michael Stuart Kelly, who is leery of Mitt, wrote about changing the nomination process:

And, of course, rig the new game. You won't find that part in the article, but it's there. Oh, is it there.

end quote

Someone has thought of a decent, honorable alternative, Michael.

Krauthammer on Hannity:

McCain won too easily and then Republicans were sorry he was nominated, and then John lost miserably. So Republicans decided to stretch out the vetting process with proportional delegate representation from the state’s primaries in 2012. Now Republicans are having second thoughts. A flexible plan is needed. With an incumbent President the extended vetting process is less desirable. During the years that there is no incumbent opposition President, extend the primary process. During the years there is an incumbent opposition President, shorten the nomination process. Sheer genius, from Charles Krauthammer.

end of summation, as I memorized it.

Peter Taylor

Mr. Taylor:

The problem in both cycles is picking a moderate liberal political whore like McCain or Romney and not a Conservative or Libertarian who has actual positions that they believe in and can articulate.

Conviction, articulation and a powerful organized field operation wins elections. Messaging, identification of those Prime Voters you do not recognize and turning every one of them out while suppressing the other side's vote wins.

Adam

Adam, do you mean, a prospective employer would look up his Facebook and if he said there that he hated high school, they might not hire him? I still think that is unlikely. To have finished despite hating it, shows character and perseverance. Lots of people hate high school but then enjoy college, if only people who liked school were hired the workplaces would be empty.

Sorry, I put this in the wrong thread. I don't know how Mitt R. felt about high school but I don't the the US should hire him as chief exec anyway.

This should be in Hazard's thread, maybe Michael could move it?

Bullshit headlines: Romney squeaked out a win on Super Tuesday, or from Newsmax, “Romney Rebuked as Santorum Scores Victories.” That does not pass the spin / smell test because Romney scored a victory in Virginia, Vermont, Idaho, Ohio, Alaska, and Massachusetts. That is six out of ten, with one of the states, Georgia, the home state of Newt. If we discount the “home states” of Massachusetts and Georgia as not significant that still leaves Romney with five out of eight, which is 62.5 percent and that ain’t recycled hay.

I do agree with Scott Rasmussen about some data from the exit polls: Romney has not convinced the Conservatives. But, if we parse that exit poll we know one quarter of them are Social Conservatives who are for the candidate who is most overtly Christian who is Rick Santorum. A segment of the other seventy five percent polled as they exited might not have identified themselves as “Conservative” because they do not agree with the Social Agenda of evangelical Christians. Just like some Objectivists. So let us speculate that fifty percent of those exiting described themselves as Conservative, and half of those were for Rick Santorum. They will still support the final candidate standing. So rather than saying, “Romney was rebuked,” I would say Romney gained more momentum, delegates, and elect-ability.

Peter Taylor

I wrote on the liars thread, “I loved the Twilight Zone episode with Andy Divine. He lied and told tall tales about everything, and then he actually was confronted by aliens . . . and no one believed him.”

Adam responded:

Kinda like watching Mitt talking about conservatism...

end quote

Not too far off the mark, Adam. Mitt is not an ideologue like Ron Paul or even Rick Santorum (when he is discussing the forceful implementation of his Catholic values on the rest of America.) Mitt is a principled politician, and that is not meant in a cynical way. But skeptics are justified. He reflected the views of enough Massachusetts’s voters who were more liberal than he was, to get elected. He “bent” his ideology to be passable. But he has evolved philosophically. Of course he will “bend” his current philosophy which is more fiscally and constitutionally conservative to appeal to enough voters to get elected President, but at his core, he is a slice of Americana frozen in amber from 1955.

What if? What if Ron Paul kept his basic philosophy, minus his extreme isolationism, and spoke in a more acceptable manner? Now I am not saying he should have misrepresented himself or lied, starting about two years ago. But if he spoke in the manner of is son Rand, while still “holding” his core convictions, he COULD BE ELECTED. Now would you call that a plus or lying and telling tall tales? I call it the first law of Politics, which is “get elected,” and that can be principled but discretionary. No one but the rabble endorses Huey Long or Boss Hogg who are unprincipled, but charismatic liars.

Mitt is OK.

Peter Taylor

Of course he will “bend” his current philosophy which is more fiscally and constitutionally conservative to appeal to enough voters to get elected President, but at his core, he is a slice of Americana frozen in amber from 1955.

"Those were the days, but I would not want to go back to the less than equal protection under the law found in the hay-day[sic] of the Progressives, the earlier 1900’s, or even to the 1950’s."

Geez! Make up your mind lol!