Hello from Florida

Mike82ARP

Hi: My name’s Mike Masztal. I am a married (33 yrs) 58 year-old currently employed teaching biology and chemistry to high school students. I also teach a class on critical thinking and basic logic. I recall seeing Rand’s books in the stores through the years, but never read any of them. After seeing Atlas Shrugged, Part 1, I was drawn to read the novel. The novel validated, for the most part, my personal philosophy more completely than anything had up to that time. I can honestly say it was an epiphany! I’ve since read many of Rand’s philosophical works. I would have to place myself in the Kelley camp rather than the Peikoff camp due to their parochial adherence to “closed” Objectivism.

While I now view objectivism as the most correct view of life, there are some tenets I have not reconciled and hopefully, after some reading and time, will be able to clear up some of them.

While I now view objectivism as the most correct view of life, there are some tenets I have not reconciled and hopefully, after some reading and time, will be able to clear up some of them.

Hope you've got a lot of time!

O, to be 58 again!

Hi: My name’s Mike Masztal. I am a married (33 yrs) 58 year-old currently employed teaching biology and chemistry to high school students. I also teach a class on critical thinking and basic logic. I recall seeing Rand’s books in the stores through the years, but never read any of them. After seeing Atlas Shrugged, Part 1, I was drawn to read the novel. The novel validated, for the most part, my personal philosophy more completely than anything had up to that time. I can honestly say it was an epiphany! I’ve since read many of Rand’s philosophical works. I would have to place myself in the Kelley camp rather than the Peikoff camp due to their parochial adherence to “closed” Objectivism.

Welcome to OL! There are many interesting and intelligent posters on this list. and it is refreshingly free of the "orthodox" perspective that is commonly found in similar forums. The freethinking attitude around here is largely owing to Michael Kelly, the owner and webmaster. Given how Michael tends to stay in the background, it is easy to take him for granted, so I wish to thank him again for the remarkable job he has done in maintaining OL for so many years.

I'm glad to see that the AS movie encouraged some viewers to read Rand. I watched Part 2 a few days ago. I liked it, but I'm still not sure what I think of it when compared to Part 1. I wasn't in the best mood to watch a movie, and my mood at any given time will greatly influence how I respond to a film. I will need to watch it again.

Ghs