The Common Core of State Mind Control over Children

Now this is frightening. I did all the legal research in the early '90's on what constituted "educational neglect" in the State of New York.

I was flabbergasted that it was statutorally defined as "non-attendance" which is how NY State developed their funding formulaes.

At that time there were two (2) Supreme Court cases filed by parets whose child graduated high school with a loow [4th ?] grade reading level.

Needless to say, they both lost.

Apparently, I will have to take a look at whether the definitions have changed...

In a video (seen below) on Common Core, New York State PTA Education Coordinator Bob Aloise supported calling Child Protective Services and charging parents with “educational neglect” for opting-out their kids from the curricula or testing.
Read more at http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/12/parents-threatened-opting-common-core/#FKHudP6Tx0EAgxx6.99

and

Despite outrageous threats and insults, parents across the U.S. are expressing disgust with the one-size-fits all, turn-my-child-into-a-robot form of standards imposed by Common Core.

Courageous parents must reject the threats spewed as their kids opt-out of curricula shaped by Common Core Standards and skip high-stakes testing.

Since a grassroots effort seems to be the only way to stop this insane governmental overreach, parents across the U.S. are creating support groups to fight the intrusion by a dictatorial federal government.

Read more at http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/12/parents-threatened-opting-common-core/#FKHudP6Tx0EAgxx6.99

In a video (seen below) on Common Core, New York State PTA Education Coordinator Bob Aloise supported calling Child Protective Services and charging parents with “educational neglect” for opting-out their kids from the curricula or testing.

Despite outrageous threats and insults, parents across the U.S. are expressing disgust with the one-size-fits all, turn-my-child-into-a-robot form of standards imposed by Common Core.

Courageous parents must reject the threats spewed as their kids opt-out of curricula shaped by Common Core Standards and skip high-stakes testing.

Since a grassroots effort seems to be the only way to stop this insane governmental overreach, parents across the U.S. are creating support groups to fight the intrusion by a dictatorial federal government.

http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/12/parents-threatened-opting-common-core/

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Common Core of the American system of elementary schooling is a hollowed out core or worse a rotten core.

the fact that the United States turns out mathematicians and scientists in spite of having a shitty elementary school system is proof that one succeeds in spite of the government, rather than because of the government.

Ba'al Chatzaf

• 3 months later...

Susan Sluyter has been a teacher for more than two decades. One can imagine that she’s seen and adjusted to her fair share of change within the educational system during her 25 years in the field, but the more recent shift in requirements was so dramatic that she resigned last month.

shutterstock_162519662-296x220.jpg

Photo credit: Shutterstock

“In this disturbing era of testing and data collection in the public schools, I have seen my career transformed into a job that no longer fits my understanding of how children learn and what a teacher ought to do in the classroom to build a healthy, safe, developmentally appropriate environment for learning for each of our children,” Sluyter wrote in her resignation letter to the Cambridge Public School District in Massachusetts in February.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/24/teachers-resignation-letter-after-25-years-describes-disturbing-era-in-public-schools/

• 2 weeks later...

You know things are bad when you've lost a major funnyman.

Steve Colbert, whose schtick is to use a preaching tone and advocate exaggerated conservative views, has now turned that schtick against Common Core:

I wonder if this is payback and a warning shot to the Progressives for his recent troubles of being accused of racism against Asians.

And that's because I wonder if Colbert would ever turn his schtick against the people who pushed for Common Core behind everyone's backs (as opposed to the underlings who wrote the test questions). I don't think he would go that far unless he were totally drummed out of the Progressive movement.

Michael

Brant,

Then it was a warning shot.

Colbert is saying to his base don't fuck with him, otherwise he could just as easily turn conservative. And have a big platform to do it.

Michael

It's not turning conservative, just being righteous.

--Brant

I don't think not fucking with him is going to work; I think he'll end up fucking fuckers generally

• 2 weeks later...

Common Core is being pushed by the Bush Monarchy and particularly by Jeb.

It federalizes curriculum when there is absolutely no right to an education in the federal Constitution.

A right to an public education is specifically a state right.

The entire Department of Education has no federal Constitutional power to exist.

A,,,

Unexpected Answer to a Homework Problem

I recently had a conversation with a friend (also a mother of a 9-year-old son) about how these common core "writing in math" problems tick us off. A couple of days later, I noticed that my son had begun using a standard response to these questions: "I know it's the right answer because I did the math." I haven't corrected him, and he hasn't fallen off the honor roll yet, so I guess his teacher finds that an acceptable answer, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Glenn Beck (with Kyle Olson) just came out with a book about Common Core:

Conform: Exposing the Truth About Common Core and Public Education

He is purposely keeping the price low to make this book more accessible to a wider audience.

The layout of the book is in the form of arguments you might (and probably will) hear when discussing Common Core with the supporters of that program. It gives the argument and the response with a ton load of footnotes.

Glenn says to look at those footnotes, not just his text. The footnotes give proper sources and quotes from Common Core proponents. He said under no circumstances should you use his name if you discuss this. Using his name will damn you in the other person's eyes. But using the words of the progressives themselves will damn them.

Michael

Here is a list of absurd Common Core exercises for children:

10 Common Core exercises that will make you tear your hair out

by Benjamin Weingarten

May. 13, 2014

TheBlaze

Some of these are a hoot until you realize they are for real exercises given to for real children.

Here is my favorite on possessive nouns:

BX7CikYCYAAhzQX.jpg

Man, it is something to watch a covert propaganda effort to indoctrinate children play out in public in real time.

But that's not the worst. The really sinister lesson taught to children is not even the collectivist and statist indoctrination embedded in grammar exercises. It's the boneheaded exercises, the ones that don't make any sense. Children learn that they can never know when the knowledge they are taught at school is crap or real knowledge. They learn--by osmosis--a perennial state of uncertainty as their default mental position.

Does that mean certainty is the only solution? What about certainty over stupid things? Doesn't a clash of certainties cause fights?

Yes.

So doubt is good and it is good to teach doubt--but only when it arises from critical thinking. Doubt is not good when it stems from a general lack of trust because of boneheaded exercises passed off as knowledge by official teachers. Besides, promoting certainty is good when the knowledge is sound.

A working brain that thinks for itself needs both. Not either-or. Both. Doubt and certainty. Yin and yang. Each in it's own time and context.

The result of this sinister lesson for statists, though, couldn't be better. Constantly confused people who can never get a sense of moral bearing, who can never trust their minds enough to pursue goals they choose instead of state approved goals, are very easy to rule. So if you are a collectivist and statist, the way is clear. Confuse 'em while they are still young. Do the comprachicos thing Rand wrote about and make young minds grow into the shape of pots.

Thank God we have the Internet.

Michael

Glenn Beck (with Kyle Olson) just came out with a book about Common Core:

Conform: Exposing the Truth About Common Core and Public Education

He is purposely keeping the price low to make this book more accessible to a wider audience.

Here is Glenn plugging his book on O'Reilly (you have to go there to see the video):

WATCH “Control and Conform”: Glenn slams progressive Republicans on O’Reilly Factor

Glenn gave a different angle than usual, but I have heard him say it before.

He said not only does the state want to indoctrinate kids, big business wants to, also. Through Common Core, the big business honchos can shuffle kids into pre-chosen career paths and withhold certain kinds of education (like literature) for those who will become truck drivers, etc. And it can train an entire generation of customers from the school years on up to consume specific types and brands of products.

Michael

Here's a statement by Bill Gates, who funded a crapload of Common Core stuff, talking about it in 2009 before anyone knew what was going on.

It's odd that even when people like that try to sound reasonable, they can't help revealing themselves when certain phrases creep into their rhetoric.

Anyone up for throwing their kid into a system designed by technocrats that will mold them into "a large uniform base of customers" with the other kids? A base ripe for the plucking by companies in bed with the government.

For me, that's just a step away from "a large uniform base of voters" and all the rest.

How about forming a system that will encourage "a large wildly different base of entrepreneurs"?

Now that is something I could sign on to.

Kinda like Bill Gates himself when he was younger...

I wonder how well he would have done growing up in a decreed Common Core straightjacket that served up crap along with knowledge.

Michael

This is straight John Dewey that has kidnapped the "educational track" for teacher development.

Progressives do not lose sight of the goal.

This is the creation of the "common child" that Dewey instilled in the fabric of the institutional "training" of teachers and educators.

Dewey was "the man" at Columbia which turned out the administrators who cashed in on commoness.

Take a look at the salaries for administrators in the NY State School system...obscene is a kind description...

A...

• 1 year later...

Here's a humorous bump for this thread (from around May 2015):

Just to be clear, all this standardized testing is crony capitalism in a particularly obnoxious manner.

The connected corrupt don't need to make fools of children to run their political pull schemes to milk government funds, but they do. I bet the majority of their own children go to private schools and aren't ever subjected to their standards and tests.

Michael

The Tyranny of Testing by Banesh Hoffman was reviewed by Joan Blumenthal in The Objectivist Newsletter March 1964. (I think of it every time I hear the Emperor Concerto, Emperor Symphony, or Emperor Waltz.)

Standard tests have a place, but not the one they are given. I was born in 1949 and went to grade school 1955-1961. We got pages of 25, 50, or 100 arithmetic problems at our grade level. Practice makes perfect. I still race the scanner at the checkout. But the purpose of such rote drills was never to score the teacher or the school system… or our ability to become architects, poets, composers, scientists, or philosophers…. just our ability to do arithmetic quickly.

Also, I hate to open this door, but when you look at Finland and Slovenia and Slovakia, you are looking at very small places where everyone is pretty much the same and de-selected against high school if they do not make the grade. (Japanese school children kill themselves when they fail.) We grant everyone and anyone the same opportunity by right and by law. Moreover, we have something like 90,000 local school boards (https://www.nsba.org/about-us), so, really, rather than measuring "the United States of America" we should toss each local board against the national boards of other counties, and see who ranks where.

The Tyranny of Testing by Banesh Hoffman was reviewed by Joan Blumenthal in The Objectivist Newsletter March 1964. (I think of it every time I hear the Emperor Concerto, Emperor Symphony, or Emperor Waltz.)

Standard tests have a place, but not the one they are given. I was born in 1949 and went to grade school 1955-1961. We got pages of 25, 50, or 100 arithmetic problems at our grade level. Practice makes perfect. I still race the scanner at the checkout. But the purpose of such rote drills was never to score the teacher or the school system… or our ability to become architects, poets, composers, scientists, or philosophers…. just our ability to do arithmetic quickly.

Also, I hate to open this door, but when you look at Finland and Slovenia and Slovakia, you are looking at very small places where everyone is pretty much the same and de-selected against high school if they do not make the grade. (Japanese school children kill themselves when they fail.) We grant everyone and anyone the same opportunity by right and by law. Moreover, we have something like 90,000 local school boards (https://www.nsba.org/about-us), so, really, rather than measuring "the United States of America" we should toss each local board against the national boards of other counties, and see who ranks where.

Either is pretty much worthless, but it's only logical for A against A, not C against A. Here as an empiricist you are seeking out mis-categorized data for a principle you cannot use.

It's simple: get rid of public education. I knew it was garbage when I was six or seven, but didn't understand why the adults dumped it on me. Second grade was knowing I was in for an ordeal for years to come. The nursery school my mother founded for me, which I attended through the first grade, had its own gross deficiency of "socialization" when all I wanted to do was learn. I thought, therefore, that public education was going to be a change for the better (finally!). The idea of learning as enjoyment turned to lead.

--Brant

I was naive; I didn't know I was going to jail