Fields, Particle in particular the Higgs Field

BaalChatzaf

First, again it was Wyl who developed a revision of sorts of the Einstein relativistic field that would accommodate an expanding (non-static) universe. Of course this wasn't important to Einstein himself because he stubbornly believed , to the end, that the universe was fixed.

Then why did he call the cosmological constant his biggest mistake?

Ellen

He added his "cosmological constant" in order to have a steady-state universe. Hubble's observations proved beyond doubt that the universe is expanding. Had Einstein left his equations alone he (or others) would have predicted on the basis of theory that the universe is either expanding or contracting. He would have scooped Hubble just by theoretical means.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Extended into a field equation, GR 'predicts' on the basis of the acceleration of stars (spacetime tensor).

So yes, increase the tensor's values and you'll get an 'escape', or the famous 'hyperbola', when you padoodle the math.

(In case you haven't noticed, my physics really sucks. I just do the equations & dad comes around to tell me what they mean..."Oh, so when the values go ++ on the two functions on all 4 coodrinates, that means the universe is expanding? Like, totally cool!")

Anyway...

So yes, has Al known of the expanding universe due to real Hubblish evidence, he would not have had to fudge in a coefficient to justify his--and everyone else's-- beliefs. But GR as written in 1915 would have only been 95% correct.

This is because stars 'way out' are off the gravatational tensor. Again, the solution was offered by Wyl who, i hasten to mention, is one of my math-people. Moreover, according to my 13 year old niece, her idol, Peyton List, explains Wyl so easily that gravity is now referred to by tweens in the know as 'gravy'.

EM

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, again it was Wyl who developed a revision of sorts of the Einstein relativistic field that would accommodate an expanding (non-static) universe. Of course this wasn't important to Einstein himself because he stubbornly believed , to the end, that the universe was fixed.

Ellen

He added his "cosmological constant" in order to have a steady-state universe. Hubble's observations proved beyond doubt that the universe is expanding. Had Einstein left his equations alone he (or others) would have predicted on the basis of theory that the universe is either expanding or contracting. He would have scooped Hubble just by theoretical means.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I know why he added the cosmological constant, Bob.

Eva stated - see above - that Einstein "stubbornly believed , to the end, that the universe was fixed."

If indeed Einstein had believed to the end that the universe was fixed, why would he have called the cosmological constant his biggest mistake?

I.e., Eva is reporting incorrectly. Possibly what she's thinking of is Einstein's persisting dislike of quantum mechanics.

Ellen

Ellen

Ba'al Chatzaf

I know why he added the cosmological constant, Bob.

Eva stated - see above - that Einstein "stubbornly believed , to the end, that the universe was fixed."

If indeed Einstein had believed to the end that the universe was fixed, why would he have called the cosmological constant his biggest mistake?

I.e., Eva is reporting incorrectly. Possibly what she's thinking of is Einstein's persisting dislike of quantum mechanics.

Ellen

The equation for General Relativity gives infinite time (Friedmman), yet finite space (Ricci). In this sense, if one were to say that Einstein 'believed' in his own equation, he likewise believed the universe was 'fixed'. Stubbornly enough.

Here it must be noted that the first real Big Bang model of Lemaitre did not allow for an expansionary universe as such

The Cosmo constant was a blunder because the coefficient doesn't work. Rather, it's allows for instability. Because at any 'time' along the spacetime manifold gravity would take hold, the system would collapse.

In other words, a gravatational collapse need only happen once, and that's that. Again, this is inherent in the equation itself. CC failed to solve the problem inherent in GR.

Then came the Hubble discovery. In terms of 1930-ish science, GR could accommodate the fact that galaxies were moving away, as long as they did not expand the dimensions of the universe itself. That would come around 1990, or so and, again, require a revision of GR in terms of Wyl geometrics.

So Einsteins second 'blunder' was the proposal of a CC, as such. Accepting Hubble, it wasn't necessary; acceleration itself was overcoming gravity well enough as it was.

Einstein did not dislike QM, as he was an original founder. He simply did not accept the Copenhagen solution for wave/particle dissimilarity of equations: accept both, on different days. Nor was he inclined to accept probabalism. as a final solution.

Therefore, most of the talk of wave/particle 'duality' and Heisenberg 'uncertainty' comes from his side of the debate with Bohr, per all those letters.

This, of course, did not impede him from working with Bose on an integrative path for special relativity into the particle world by means of said 'Heisenberg', probability-laden as it was.

Lastly, whenever you decide to be polite, i'll be happy to explain the math of physics for you. Otherwise, there's always google.

EM