Very Serious Dangers Of Posting Photos On The Net

Thanks for posting this, Jerry.

Good information to know. The only downside is that, now, I'm extremely insecure about my photos I've uploaded to various websites...

A standard black hat trick to avoid detection is always use screenshots of images you want to place on the web. A screenshot does not pick up any EXIF (exchangeable image file format) info or any other kind of comment. Save the screenshot with a program that does not automatically populate these fields. (I use Irfanview which is free, fast and wonderful.)

In other words, if you take a picture, take a screenshot of the picture and save that as a file (jpg usually) with a program like Irfanview. Then post that file to the web. I don't use a smartphone (yet--I might have to bite the bullet before too long), but I imagine it can take screenshots. Also, there have to be simple image treatment apps that do not add EXIF info or comments.

Or load to pictures into a computer and do it from there.

btw - It was cool to see a Bill Meyers video appear on OL. I have learned a ton about video off him and I am a member of his private website.

Michael

You can also put your pictures into photoshop go into properties and remove all metadata(EXIF).

For wildlife photography I leave GPS coords turned off but leave stuff like aperture, focal length, shutter speed and ISO on but that is because I post them to photography oriented sites.

It's quite easy on iPhone to turn off geotagging for photos taken with the phone's camera. In addition, you could leave that on if you wanted and turn it off for each individual app that you use for posting pictures. It's been a while since I had an android device, but I'm pretty sure a similar feature was available.

I'm running the latest version of MAC OSX. Irfanview doesn't seem to support my platform. Since I don't use a phone for photography, ( I use a Canon still/video camera with the editing done in Photoshop for MAC) perhaps I'm safe. Thanks to all who posted their comments.

• 2 months later...

There are some gems in OL Ive learned.

Thanks JTS!

Others: Personally Im unfazed by the EXIF window of intrusion. Initially I was taken aback and have taken the extra steps needed as a modest means of privacy. I see it as an opportunity for exploitation but believe the slim chance of acting with malice on the info is remote. I moved to a rural place. The likelihood of being found doesnt have to extend to such tech methods. If my real name is googled youve got me. Although it would take stamina and resources to confront me personally with a hostile intent as no one knows whether I keep a dog, a loaded gun or security system in place or stay up nights and sleep days.

I think it is wiser to say nothing...

Joe, another great movie...Sleepers...

1996+sleepers+6.jpg
The take away quote is when the Mafia Don from the Hell's Kitchen part of Manhattan is feeding the Pidgeons and the reporter said "I didm't know you liked birds...and his response is..."I like anything that don't talk."

There are some gems in OL Ive learned.

Thanks JTS!

Others: Personally Im unfazed by the EXIF window of intrusion. Initially I was taken aback and have taken the extra steps needed as a modest means of privacy. I see it as an opportunity for exploitation but believe the slim chance of acting with malice on the info is remote. I moved to a rural place. The likelihood of being found doesnt have to extend to such tech methods. If my real name is googled youve got me. Although it would take stamina and resources to confront me personally with a hostile intent as no one knows whether I keep a dog, a loaded gun or security system in place or stay up nights and sleep days.

In that case, when I show up I'll only bring beer and a pizza.

--Brant

and a box of Milk Bones

I think it is wiser to say nothing...

Joe, another great movie...Sleepers...

1996+sleepers+6.jpg
The take away quote is when the Mafia Don from the Hell's Kitchen part of Manhattan is feeding the Pidgeons and the reporter said "I didm't know you liked birds...and his response is..."I like anything that don't talk."

Saw it Adam,

Great cast and story.

+1

J