Plutarch, Archimedes and von Bruan

In Plutarch's Lives the story of General Marcellus is told. Marcellus commanded the Roman invasion of Syracusa which turned out to be much harder than he expected. Archimedes, one of the leading sons of Syacusa constructed cranes that were able to lift up Roman galleys and invert them and dump their crews into the water. Marcellus knew a good thing when he saw it, and according to Plutarch he admired the inventor of these devices. Marcellus said in effect "Habeo unum ex illis, ut me ...." which is to say - "I just have to get me one of those...". He sent out soldiers to pick Archimedes up and bring him to the General. His objective was not unlike the objective of the U.S. government with regard to Werner von Braun. All the weapons guys who saw von Braun's rockets in action also said "I've just got to get me one of those...". Alas the outcome was not happy. Archimedes was busy proving a theorem and drawing his figures in the dust. Then the soldier came by, Archimedes told him in no uncertain terms to get out of his light. The soldier, being Roman was not going to take that from some old Greek and he slew Archimdes. Marcellus was very upset by this, and according to Plutarch he had the tomb of Archimedes decorated and honored.

Many centuries later Betrtrand Russell said, no Roman was ever slain because he wanted to finish proving a theorem.... And so it goes.....

You will notice that nothing has really changed between 200 b.c.e and now. It is still the same old story: I have just got to get me one of those....

Ba'al Chatzaf