Best Songs for Crying

syrakusos

The beat to Amanda's song is interesting.

It's called a two against three pattern. I had to learn this for conducting. You can get the same rhythm tapping both hands against your legs or a table or something.

One hand taps out: one-two-three | one-two-three | one-two-three | and so on.

The other taps out one-two | one-two | one-two | and so on.

You make sure each hand lands on "one" at the same time.

I have no idea why I'm writing this...

:)

Michael

It's called a two against three pattern. I had to learn this for conducting. You can get the same rhythm tapping both hands against your legs or a table or something.

:smile:

Michael

I'd guess, but the results would likely be unfortunate.

--Brant

I'm sorry for Eric Clapton, but how did it happen except through negligence that his son fell out of a hotel window?

My sister as a child got out of her lower Manhattan apartment home in the 1930s and was walking around on a ledge when a lady neighbor cried out, "Go back, little girl, go back!" She did.

--Brant

edit: the boy, Conor, fell out of the 53rd floor NYC apartment window of his "mother's friend" (it was WTF! then and WTF! now)

Edited by Brant Gaede

:smile:

Michael

I have no idea why I'm continuing this random tangent, but:

I cannot do things like this. Or at least, I currently can't, and have never been able to before. I can't get my hands to do those beats independently. They always end up synced to whichever one I started first.

Luckily, I have never had a desire to be a drummer, else I'd have a sad time with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Ol' Man River sung by Wiliiam Warfield:

Such a deeply moving song - and what an incredibly expressive bass voice!

·
The words of a YouTube blogger capture exactly what I feel about the song and W. Warfield's performance:
[Louise Miller]:
"Tears, chills, goosebumps....up and down my spine....every time I hear this song. The words are so moving, so emotional. And this singer is so expressive and his voice carries the message so well." (end quote) 

• 2 weeks later...

He don't plant taters

and he don't' plant cotton

and them that plants them

is soon forgotten.

Tote that barge,

Lift that bail

Getting a little drunk

and you land in jail.

I get weary and sick of tryin'

I'm tired of living

and scared of dying …

One of my favs...

How low can you go?

A...

Thanks, Michael M.

. . . . and them that plants them is soon forgotten . . . I get weary and sick of tryin' I'm tired of living and scared of dying . . .

How about Great Songs that sound optimistic but are lyrically strange? She got legs by ZZ Top? And how about this one?

These Dreams,

by Heart

Spare a little candle

Save some light for me

figures up ahead

Moving in the trees

White skin in linen

Perfume on my wrist

And the full moon that hangs over

these dreams in the mist

Darkness on the edge

Shadows where I stand

I search for the time

On a watch with no hands

I want to see you clearly

Come closer than this

But all I remember

Are the dreams in the mist

These dreams go on when I close my eyes

Every second of the night I live another life

These dreams that sleep when it's cold outside

Every moment I'm awake the further I'm away

Is it cloak 'n dagger

Could it be spring or fall

I walk without a cut

Through a stained glass wall

Weaker in my eyesight

The candle in my grip

And words that have no form

Are falling from my lips

There's something out there

I can't resist

I need to hide away from the pain

There's something out there

I can't resist

The sweetest song is silence

That I've ever heard

Funny how your feet

In dreams never touch the earth

In a wood full of princes

Freedom is a kiss

But the prince hides his face

From dreams in the mist

• 5 years later...
On 12/30/2014 at 2:21 PM, Xray said:

·
The words of a YouTube blogger capture exactly what I feel about the song and W. Warfield's performance:
[Louise Miller]:
"Tears, chills, goosebumps....up and down my spine....every time I hear this song. The words are so moving, so emotional. And this singer is so expressive and his voice carries the message so well." (end quote) 

Her last post here.

--Brant

Sad? “Wish You Were Here.” Listen to it and it almost sounds like Bob Dylan to my ears. Skip forward to about 1:24 to hear the start of the singing.

“Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd.

So, so you think you can tell
Heaven from hell
Blue skies from pain
Can you tell a green field
From a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

Did they get you to trade
Your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange
A walk on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year
Running over the same old ground
And how we found
The same old fears
Wish you were here

I saw Alison Krauss & Union Station in concert in Salisbury, Maryland. Beautiful show. Here is one of their songs that has "the most happy lyrics" but to me the music is sad. Give it a listen.  Peter 

Alison Krauss & Union Station - The Lucky One

You're the lucky one so I've been told
As free as the wind blowing down the road
Loved by many, hated by none
I'd say you were lucky 'cause
You know what you've done
Not a care in the world, not a worry in sight
Everything is gonna be alright 'cause
You're the lucky one

You're the lucky one always having fun
A jack of all trades, a master of none
You look at the world with a smiling eye
And laugh at the devil as his train rolls by
Give you a song and a one night stand
You'll be looking at a happy man 'cause
You're the lucky one

Well, you're blessed I guess
By never knowing which road you're choosing
To you the next best thing
To playing and winning is playing and losing

You're the lucky I know that now
Don't ask you why, when, where or how
You look at the world with a smiling eye
And laugh at the devil as his train rolls by
Give you a song and a one night stand
You're the lucky one

Well, you're blessed I guess
By never knowing which road you're choosing
To you the next best thing
To playing and winning is playing and losing

You're the lucky I know that now
Don't ask you why when where or how
No matter where you're at it's where you'll be
You can bet you're luck won't follow me
Just give you a song and a one night stand
You're the lucky one.

I would say the saddest pop song is, “Everybody Hurts” by R.E.M. And playing “Taps” is pretty sad. Peter

Does that song make you sad? You’re not alone. Lela Nargi 3/3/2020 Imagine your favorite song. Now think about the way it makes you feel. Chances are, you didn’t have to think too hard to identify that feeling. And chances are, if you asked a friend how that same song made them feel, they would have the same response.

Alan Cowen wanted to know whether people who lived in a place far from our own would respond that way, too. “Emotions are construed by language and culture,” he points out. He thought it was possible that music Americans consider angry would be considered scary by people who live somewhere else.

Cowen is a researcher at the University of California at Berkeley, where he looks at how people express emotions with their face and voice. He organized a study of more than 2,500 people in the United States and China. He and his fellow researchers played them many kinds of music, including heavy metal, rock, jazz and classical. They found that everyone had pretty much the same emotional response to the music. For example, “The Star-Spangled Banner” made people feel pride, while Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of You” made them feel joyful. But even though people in China and the United States felt angry from listening to a particular song, says Cowen, “They differed in whether they thought that experience was good or bad.” Past research by other scientists has shown that people across cultures share as many as six basic emotions: fear, anger, surprise, disgust, sadness and happiness. But Cowen’s study identified 13 emotional responses or feelings “felt through the language of music”: amusement, joy, desire, beautiful, relaxation, sadness, dreaminess, triumph, anxiety, scariness, annoyance, defiance and feeling pumped up.

Perhaps coolest of all, the researchers created an interactive map of those musical emotions. You can play with it online to see whether your responses match up with those of the people in the study. Find the map at ocf.berkeley.edu/~acow en/music.html#.

Teachers around the world are using this map in their classrooms. It’s helping students find new words to describe their emotions. “They’re going from saying, ‘This is good music’ to ‘This is defiant music,’ ” Cowen says.

This ability could help them control their own emotions or better understand other people’s feelings. Cowen says that people who are depressed often “look at facial expressions and see more negativity.” Having different words to describe emotions could be a tool to help them reexamine what they think they see. Humans aren’t the only animals that respond to music. Music lessens anxiety in shelter dogs and helps cows produce more milk. So why are humans the only ones who make it?

Cowen says that there are parallels to music in other creatures’ noises. A low growl from a tiger, for example, “advertises its body size and strength,” while human parents across all cultures “soothe infants with higher-pitched sounds that indicate comfort.” Music, though, is what Cowen calls “cheesecake” for the human brain. It’s something nice we didn’t need for evolution but which “completely transforms how we experience life,” with at least 13 emotions. 

Are you like to hear saddest song? If you like to heart saddest song so these songs list for you. You will get here top 10 and the best most popular saddest songs of all time. Hoping you know about a lots of saddest songs but we are described here a list of top 10 saddest songs of all time which songs are always most popular and peoples crazy to hear. Continue reading to know your favorite top 10 sad songs of all time. end quote

The Saddest Songs. 1. Tears in Heaven Eric Clapton 2. Hurt  Johnny Cash 3. He Stopped Loving Her Today George Jones 4. My Immortal Evanescence 5. Wake Me Up When September Ends Green Day 6. Stan Eminem 7. Wish You Where Here Pink Floyd 8. Everybody Hurts R.E.M 9. Creep Radiohead 10. How to Save a Life The Fray.

I listened to Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of  You." When I heard it just now I remembered it from years ago. It is somewhat 'youngish" sounding and a bit sexy but darned if it isn't "happy music," and the opposite of this thread's topic. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I would say the saddest pop song is, “Everybody Hurts” by R.E.M. And playing “Taps” is pretty sad. Peter

I'd give it to "Walk Away, Renee" by the Left Bank. (Though "Angel" by Sara McLaughlin comes close...you know, the song in that damn PETA commercial with the dogs in the cold...)

2 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

I'd give it to "Walk Away, Renee" by the Left Bank. (Though "Angel" by Sara McLaughlin comes close...you know, the song in that damn PETA commercial with the dogs in the cold...)

Darn, your brain is sharp. My brain was working on this as I played Tetris. Another really sad song from Canada. “In the Early Mornin’ Rain.” Gordon Lightfoot is now 81. I wonder if William knows him. Peter

In the early mornin' rain With a dollar in my hand And an aching in my heart And my -pockets full of sand I'm a long ways from home And I missed my loved one so In the early mornin' rain With no place to go Out on runway number nine Big 707 set to go Well I'm out here on the grass Where the pavement never grows Where the liquor tasted good And the women all were fast There she goes my friend She's rolling out at last Hear the mighty engines roar See the silver wing on high She's away and westward bound For above the clouds she flies Where the mornin' rain don't fall And the sun always shines She'll be flying over my home In about three hours time This ol' airport's got me down It's no earthly good to me 'Cause I'm stuck here on the ground Cold and drunk as I might be Can't jump a jet plane Like you can a freight train So I best be on my way In the early mornin' rain So I best be on my way In the early mornin' rain So I best be on my way In the early mornin' rain

Songwriters: GORDON LIGHTFOOT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Darn, your brain is sharp. My brain was working on this as I played Tetris. Another really sad song from Canada. “In the Early Mornin’ Rain.” Gordon Lightfoot is now 81. I wonder if William knows him. Peter

In the early mornin' rain With a dollar in my hand And an aching in my heart And my -pockets full of sand I'm a long ways from home And I missed my loved one so In the early mornin' rain With no place to go Out on runway number nine Big 707 set to go Well I'm out here on the grass Where the pavement never grows Where the liquor tasted good And the women all were fast There she goes my friend She's rolling out at last Hear the mighty engines roar See the silver wing on high She's away and westward bound For above the clouds she flies Where the mornin' rain don't fall And the sun always shines She'll be flying over my home In about three hours time This ol' airport's got me down It's no earthly good to me 'Cause I'm stuck here on the ground Cold and drunk as I might be Can't jump a jet plane Like you can a freight train So I best be on my way In the early mornin' rain So I best be on my way In the early mornin' rain So I best be on my way In the early mornin' rain

Songwriters: GORDON LIGHTFOOT

Gordon Lightfoot? Good call. His "Sundown" would be another contender of mine...

Sometimes I think it's a shame/
When I get feelin' better when I'm feelin' no pain/
Sundown you better take care
/
If I find you been creepin' 'round my back stairs/
Sometimes I think it's a sin/
When I feel like I'm winnin' when I'm losin' again/

"I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" By Elton John, another one. (Ironically, what isn't a contender for me is, from the same album, "Sad Songs (Say So Much)". The music's upbeat-ness works against the lyrics to be sad enough to make my list.)

And I guess that's why they call it the blues/
Time on my hands could be time spent with you/
Laughing like children,
living like lovers/
Rolling like thunder,
under the covers/
And I guess that's why they call it the blues/"