Periodic Table finally completed

BaalChatzaf

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Is a “black hole” eternal? Will they continue to unite until there is a super massive singularity? Or will matter disperse . . . forever, as in the theory of an expanding universe? Life cannot exist in a black hole but it can exist in dispersed space so as a proponent of life, I am emotionally drawn to dispersal, reunification, and more dispersals. And for life to fully understand the universe. I predict we will reach a point where civilization and knowledge is guaranteed to continue existence even if a catastrophe occurs.  

Peter

From “The Universe in a Nutshell,” by Stephen Hawking: Any sound scientific theory, whether of time or any other concept, should in my opinion be based on the most workable philosophy of science: the positivist approach put forward by Karl Popper and others. According to this way of thinking, a scientific theory is a mathematical model that describes and codifies the observations we make. A good theory will describe a large range of phenomena on the basis of a few simple postulates and will make definite predictions that can be tested. If the predictions agree with the observations, the theory survives that test, though it can never be proven to be correct. On the other hand, if the observations disagree with the predictions, one has to discard or modify the theory.  (At least, that is supposed to happen. In practice, people often question the accuracy of the observations and the reliability and moral character of those making the observations.)  If one takes the positivist position, as I do, one cannot say what time actually is. All one can do is describe what has been found to be a very good mathematical model for time and say what predictions it makes. end quote

Hawking seems to think black holes will eventually evaporate.  It may take a long time in some cases,  trillion of trillions of years.  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic