MOM

Brant Gaede

Ruth Brant Davis (Ruth Brant, Ruth Brant Gaede)

b. October 25, 1914

Ph.D. Eng. Lit., founder of Tucson Community School, daughter of Irving Brant and Hazeldean Brant, Mother of Joan Olson, Patricia Margrave, Brant Gaede, Marc Gaede

Happy birthday Mom!

Next: 95.

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

Brant,

The way you wrote this looks like an obituary, but I cannot be 100% sure. Before I comment, I would like to check. Please clarify.

Michael

Certainly not! But I'll modify it. Thanks, Michael.

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Brant, I just saw this sad news, belated sympathies. To lose such a mother must be hard to bear. But mothers, you know... they never really go far away.

Carol

Thanks. She would have been 97 on Oct 25 and could have made it, but not much longer.

--Brant

You mom had a good run.

Very little more can be asked of mortals.

She was confused and so fell down and hit her head in an unexpected place, but she was fighting for her freedom against the confining guard rail that let me sleep at night. She won but the cost was too high. When she was more rational she accepted the rail for I told her without it I couldn't sleep. She understood that then but not at the end. It took me two months to understand all this properly. The arrangement worked for two years until it didn't work anymore. There was no rail on the end of the bed as you'll find on a hospital bed.That's how she got up. It went up in the first place after two trips to the hospital to make sure there were no broken bones on bleeding on the brain and to tie off or stop a small arterial bleeder in the forehead. I still have a lot of regret, but not guilt. It's kind of ironical that something else was to do her in than her dementia but it was the dementia that finally did it. A cold could have done the job for she had little strength in reserve.

In the generation ahead of me I still have my mother's sister and father's brother. Makes you pause and think. Your perspective keeps changing as you get older. Older people buffer you from the reality of your own mortality. At least the only dementia was my mother's and her mother on either side of my long-lived families and my mother got hers ten years older than her mother did. I'm genetically programmed to live into my 90s mentally sharp, which doesn't mean I will; shit happens. I mean when there is no apparent male-pattern baldness in any of my relatives and ancestors to speak of and I could use a toupee made from a bear skin . . . --well, its more vegetables and less meat. Uck.

In the generation ahead of me I still have my mother's sister and father's brother. Makes you pause and think. Your perspective keeps changing as you get older. Older people buffer you from the reality of your own mortality. At least the only dementia was my mother's and her mother on either side of my long-lived families and my mother got hers ten years older than her mother did. I'm genetically programmed to live into my 90s mentally sharp, which doesn't mean I will; shit happens. I mean when there is no apparent male-pattern baldness in any of my relatives and ancestors to speak of and I could use a toupee made from a bear skin . . . --well, its more vegetables and less meat. Uck.

Indeed. I am a pater familia. No one between me and the Brink. I am next over the edge or my wife.,

So it goes. Since it is inevitable I don't worry about it.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Indeed. I am a pater familia. No one between me and the Brink. I am next over the edge or my wife.,

So it goes. Since it is inevitable I don't worry about it.

Ba'al Chatzaf

it's interesting isn't it. I have a whackload of thriving aunts, but I cannot bear the thought of their dying, I would no longer be me in my proper place in the family/world. At my mother's funeral, my darling aunt Charlotte said to me, sobbing, ,"You poor child!"She remembered me being a child, and her brother and sister-in-law whom she had so loved. It was the only time I cried,myself.